Nothing to push against ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nigel, image you're floating in space, and now throw a brick.
Hey, look, you've gained some velocity.

Now throw another brick. You can use this brick to speed up, slow down or change direction, depending on which way you throw it.

Keep throwing bricks and you'll keep getting faster.

Now miniaturise the bricks to a tiny scale, and throw zillions of them around. You've got a rocket.

Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
:D..

Well it must be true cuz..in Interstellar TARS was left behind..because you have to leave something behind to travel..

He fell into a black hole ..somehow I think the last thought would be NNNNNNOOOOOO...squish..

The equal and opposite reaction..like in the films make sure you take a CO2 fire extinguisher with you never travel without one..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Attachments

• Insterstellar-robot-TARS.jpg
    Insterstellar-robot-TARS.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I thought that it was impossible for space ships to move through space (a vacuum) because there is nothing to push against. There is no air to push against.

Then I thought about tubes/valves where they are in a vacuum but the electrons can move from anode to cathode OK.

So I believe space travel can take place.

Of course if the OP was thinking about how can something move through nothing that's a different question..

However the nothing has been discussed before..(Different context)

What is something..LOL..and how does it move
..the double slit comes to mind..

Space travel must be possible because you are travelling through space now at..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_orbit

You are on the spaceship Earth..only you have no deflector shield..visualise the fly hitting the windscreen of a car at 100MPH..
Then ask what would happen if the Earth suddenly stopped moving..inertia..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
:D..

Well it must be true cuz..in Interstellar TARS was left behind..because you have to leave something behind to travel..

He fell into a black hole ..somehow I think the last thought would be NNNNNNOOOOOO...squish..

The equal and opposite reaction..like in the films make sure you take a CO2 fire extinguisher with you never travel without one..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

IIRC, time slows down as you approach extreme gravity wells.
That could be due to the usual time dilation in accordance with special relativity (you'll be going really fast when getting close to black holes), or there might be some general relativity thrown in.

I wonder if you'd even notice being sucked into a black hole...

Chris

I thought that it was impossible for space ships to move through space (a vacuum) because there is nothing to push against. There is no air to push against.

Then I thought about tubes/valves where they are in a vacuum but the electrons can move from anode to cathode OK.

So I believe space travel can take place.
But this only demonstrates that space travel can take place for electrons.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.