Anyone tried brainwave recordings ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll give a quick summary before asking the question.
I first came across brainwaves in the Cool Edit 96 software. You could take music or sounds ( like water falling, pink noise etc ) and modulate one channel so that the differential ( produced in the brain) when played over headphones in stereo will produce very low frequencies that you can't otherwise generate easily. From say about 1 Hz to 10 Hz or so.
For example meditation can generate waves between 7 to 13 Hz. So if these are induced in the brain artificially by playing a brainwave inducing recording, you can get into that state directly......so the theory says.
Different low frequencies can show the state the brain is in.

There is a general list here:
Functions of Brainwave frequencies alpha, beta, gama, theta & delta

You can use Cool Edit96 or any other Cool Edit till Cool Edit 2000 which has that Brainwave tab. Adobe who bought out Cool Edit skipped all the older versions and stripped the Brainwave out of it. Cool Edit96 is available free on the Net. It apparently is in a gray area where no one really owns it anymore.
You can make your own experimental recordings.
Maybe an electronic way of getting to what cannabis and such other things can do and MUCH more.

So has anyone been experimenting with brainwaves and what happened to you ..........if you are still in this dimension ! :)

Have you looked for the plug-in? Many of the effects are plug-in based, they used to distribute a free SDK with CoolEdit 2000. I wrote a plug-in to fix ticks and pops one at a time (there are better free ones now) and it worked fine just dropped into the Audition 1.5 plug-in folder years later.

Hi, it isn't a plug in for Cool Edit 96. It came under the 'generate' menu.
When Cool Edit 96 was being sold in the late 90's I bought a copy . I did some experimentation but the software was mostly used for editing audio for making tapes.
Unfortunately due to a computer crash and damaged program disk I couldn't get back to it many years later. And Adobe Audition had come along ! Cool Edit 2000 and higher don't have the Brainwave feature.

Then I recently came across the info that Cool Edit 96 is no longer owned by anyone as Adobe didn't take that . So now it's freely downloadable from several sites.It needs a user name and serial number also. My original user name and serial number didn't work again..of course...so I had to look for a workable one. There is no user support for this version of course !

There are several other software to make brainwaves and some do it differently also , using a pulsing technique . No idea which one is better. But the CoolEdit 96 ( like some others ) works quietly without any pulses.
It does seem to work as it produced the strange sounds described in the manual. The Cool Edit96 manual has a large section on Brainwaves. I think all versions prior to the Cool Edit 2000 had that section.
Couple of links:
http://gnaural.sourceforge.net/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_brainwave_entrainment_software

http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/cool_edit_96.shtml

Today there is a ton of info on brainwaves on the Net as compared to the late 90's !

Last edited:

Attachments

• bw.jpg
    bw.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 105
Hi Scott,
You are correct. Cool Edit 2000 does have that . That's the window where you can superimpose the 'brainwaves' or 'binaural beats' on to the whole track you have . You can control the intensity ( usually low !) and the frequency. Usually they 'slide in' like start with 40 Hz and slowly decrease till 10 over a span of about 1 mute or more etc. So when you go down to say 3 hz you come back out of it slowly , often in slow steps. Just drag the points to where you want them to be. Forgot how the points were created !! Ha..Ha.. ! A little exploring will solve that easily. I'll try to find my copy of the manual I had and post it. Interesting reading ! You can try it after reading that.

gmarsh: 'Binaural beats' and 'binaural music recordings' are not the same thing. Binaural beats refers to the two different signals on the audio tracks that help to recreate the low frequencies in the brain. You can call them brainwaves so that it doesn't annoy you. ;)

I think it's an area worth exploring. I surely will. Hope others will also do that and report back here. It can take a while to see how well it works. However you need to read the manual to know what it can do.

Interesting link:
http://www.consciousdreaming.com/lucid-dreaming/cooledit-and-brainwave-entrainment.htm
and
http://www.consciousdreaming.com/lucid-dreaming/brainwave-entrainment-info.htm

Last edited:
This concept is new to me. I have heard some recordings that made my brain feel numb but i cant be certain if this was deliberate or not.

that would be listening to Pink Floyd

comfortably numb:):)

i do apologise to the forum for this whitty remark

but what a track to listen too,

OK is there anyobody out there!!

not if you can here me you may feel a little sick

ther is no pain etc etc etc:yikes: can you here me

I heard of this a few years back - there seems to have been considerable doubt as to whether putting, say, 300Hz in one ear and 310Hz in the other ear would actually result in a 10Hz difference tone. Each pitch activates a neuron path that goes to the brain, and the brain knows nothing about what frequency each pitch is. As far as I can tell, there's no 'mixing' or way to generate a difference tone, it's just a different pitch in each ear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats

Aha, this is the context I recall reading online about this stuff:
"There have been a number of claims regarding binaural beats, including that they may simulate the effect of recreational drugs, ..."

You cannot get the low frequency waves induced in the brain by listening to the recording over speakers. You have to listen to them over headphones. Left and right sounds have to be completely separate and not partially mixed up like it does when using loudspeakers .

I don't think that headphone has anything to do with the 'binaural recording'.
'Beats' is being used everywhere and can get confusing. The beats that we are talking about are 'binaural beats'.

There was a suggestion to make a test recording using pink noise and supposedly after a while you appear to hear what sounds like a helicopter ! I didn't believe this and make the suggested recording. I was quite surprised to see (hear!) that it really did sound like a helicopter after a few minutes. Something certainly is generated in the brain. If you listen to the same track with each track only playing ( mono), there is no 'helicopter sound ' ! Try it. I think there is something about this in the CoolEdit Manual which talks about brainwaves. I don't remember where I read it, it was a long time ago.

You should all download the CoolEdit96 program and make your own brainwave tracks and listen to it on headphones. You need to use good headphones. Nothing fancy but something with decent bass capability. You can use pink noise or the sound of water falls, the sea or rushing river water , rain, etc. All clips are free to download on the Net. You can cut and paste the segment several times to get you a 30 minute track or much longer. Very easy to do in CoolEdit96. Apply your choice of brain wave frequencies on that track.

I'm not quite sure if this works as well if you use a music track. I think the music may be too distracting. Transients may not be a good thing like drums and other percussion sounds.
I've been looking at this since 2000 and still haven't done a thorough test except for a few quick test sometimes. I can say that it certainly does generate some phantom/virtual sounds that each track on it's own doesn't seem to have.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.