The Art of Electronics 3rd Ed. April 2015

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had the book (AOE3) onto my Kindle which I lost (left it on a plane I guess). All the other books were easily ported over to the Kindle Paperwhite, not AOE3. With a little argumentation with Amazon I obtained a refund.

The Kindle version was helpful, but I can see why it wasn't available as Paperwhite download (hackery perhaps?). I just made copies of the tables I refer to from time to time, keep AOE3 in one location and the earlier edition in another.

It looks like the x-chapters book has a publication date, and it's in the very near future. Here's hoping it has lots of good "bad" circuits!

Art electronics x chapters | Electronics for physicists | Cambridge University Press

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Electronics-x-Chapters/dp/1108499945

CUP has been shipping for a while now, and today I also got my order from Amazon. So they're rolling out folks! BTW, CUP is offering 20% off until the end of February, use the code AEX2019P at checkout.

I'm sorry to report that I didn't have time to work on the Good and Bad Circuits, to include them, but anyway, we did create 500 pages of exciting new stuff. Lots of very useful not-available-elsewhere component-properties measurements and reference material, plus cool stories, and engineering reviews for a few dozen push-the-limits designs that we've done.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Got the X-Chapters volume, and it is extremely valuable. If you read AoE in any of its editions, this one fleshes out many subjects and just gives you, in a compact way, the next detail and expertise level.
I love it. And only half of the price of the big ones ;-)

And there is a very nice chapter on using Spice for practical simulations exploring amplifier distortion, and how to actually get data from the graphs produced. It uses ICAP4 rather than LTspice but that should be a minor thing.

Jan

Last edited:
I had actually never seen this book in any of the three editions, so I ordered one from Amazon. The mail girl was not happy when she brought mine in the rain....Hey I at least didn't buy another transformer!

There is no way I could ever read a book that big. My attention span is no more than 2 or 3 pages at a time. I guess I'll put it under my pillow at night and see if any seeps in.…..didn't work in college, so I quit buying the textbooks.

No need to plough thru the whole thing.

That's not even an option. At my reading speed, I'll die of old age first.

I have danced around a bit inside looking at a few things the got me curious, but it's more like a USEFUL reference book.

I wondered through an antique shop in Florida one day and found a bunch of old electrical engineering books. The shop owner wanted like $20 each so I left. I was in the shop again once or twice a year, but never bought much. I walked in another time and the shop owner catches me at the door, and says take ALL the books for $20.

The Radiotron Designers Handbook 3rd Edition (1945) and Electronic Circuits and Tubes by Cruft Labs..Harvard University (1947) were worth the price.

There is a book from MIT university press dated from the early 30's that loses me in the math on the forth page. I am surprised at the level of serious engineering that was used on some of the early tube circuits. I lost interest in that one quickly, and it's in a box somewhere with a few others from the same purchase. The first two stay on my bookshelf.

That's not even an option. At my reading speed, I'll die of old age first.

I have danced around a bit inside looking at a few things the got me curious, but it's more like a USEFUL reference book.

I wondered through an antique shop in Florida one day and found a bunch of old electrical engineering books. The shop owner wanted like $20 each so I left. I was in the shop again once or twice a year, but never bought much. I walked in another time and the shop owner catches me at the door, and says take ALL the books for $20.

The Radiotron Designers Handbook 3rd Edition (1945) and Electronic Circuits and Tubes by Cruft Labs..Harvard University (1947) were worth the price.

There is a book from MIT university press dated from the early 30's that loses me in the math on the forth page. I am surprised at the level of serious engineering that was used on some of the early tube circuits. I lost interest in that one quickly, and it's in a box somewhere with a few others from the same purchase. The first two stay on my bookshelf.

Some of those old-school engineering books are really, really useful. One of my favorites is Principles of Radar, which is also an MIT publication. Yeah, it's a little math-heavy, but I find very useful for those obscure topics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.