The Art of Electronics 3rd Ed. April 2015

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just found that one of the authors is a member of our forum.
Over the years I have noticed that Mr Hill has been an active participant in several electronics-related Forums - catering to hobbyists as well as the most learned professionals. (OK, for the classical grammar police, its "Fora".)

Though I have never personally engaged him in dialog, he seems quite generous with his time and knowledge. If you have a genuine question for him, go ahead and ask - the worst that can happen is some other knowledgeable Forum member will step in and answer it.

Dale

C.U.P. says the book will be out April 15, Amazon says April 30, but actually it may well be more like mid March. Amazon is taking pre-publication orders with a 10% discount. Earlier they had it at a 15% discount, and I ordered a few for myself at $102 each. Who knows what they'll do with the pricing. By the time it's finally shipping, they may be selling it with no discount at all. Anyway, whatever, it's not a bad price for a massive 1200-page book.

Thanks, I just ordered mine on Amazon. It's a shame this site doesn't have an amazon referral program, because I'd be happy to order it through that and it's a relatively high-priced item that I'm sure many forum members are planning to buy.

It's good to see a firm date for this, though I was expecting to be in management by this time...
Over the years I have noticed that Mr Hill has been an active participant in several electronics-related Forums - catering to hobbyists as well as the most learned professionals. (OK, for the classical grammar police, its "Fora".)

Though I have never personally engaged him in dialog, he seems quite generous with his time and knowledge. If you have a genuine question for him, go ahead and ask - the worst that can happen is some other knowledgeable Forum member will step in and answer it.

Dale
Years ago he was on sci.electronics.design (posting many things, but in this particular instance) asking (with an eye towards a 3rd edition) about the "citcuit ideas" sections of the 2nd. Edition. I pointed out that there was a circuit duplicated (except maybe different component values) in two of the sections (!).
What will the new edition bring to the table over the previous?
Well, the Second Edition is only 25 years old! I'm sure it'll have up-to-date discussions of available devices, and it'll surely drop that section on "microprocessors" that covered the Motorola 68,000. They should have a paragraph saying "These things are changing too fast for us to write about them in a published book. As we write, the ARM is the embedded winner, but that could change by the time the ink is dry. Go do your own current research."

Hi benb. Yes, we've taken a full new look at desirable parts, have organized thousands of them into new tables, and treat many to extensive discussions. The six digital chapters are also completely new, with an emphasis on interconnecting logic, FPGAs, computers and micro-controllers to the real world. There are hundreds of techniques one should know about, and thousands of unique components available to help do the job, and we try to give good coverage to this. But as before, our book is more about analog electronics, because that's where the rubber meets to road, so to speak, the real world. So we spend the first nine chapters on these topics.

AoE III has over 1200 pages, a larger page size with wider columns, and a smaller font, formatted for more text, and with careful editing to the thousands of figures to make them fit into a single column where possible -- all to squeeze more stuff in.** The book has been "at the printer" for some time now, we're all doing the waiting game. But I think we're talking weeks, rather than months, at this point.

** Much of what we wrote couldn't fit into 1200 pages, so we split it off into a second book called The Art of Electronics: The x-Chapters. The x-Chapters book has mostly advanced stuff, and we extensively reference the relevant x-chapter sections in the main book. It has Chapter 1x, 2x, 3x and etc. This second supplemental book is about 3/4 finished; We expect it'll be out in a year or two.

Like many, I grew up with Horowitz & Hill.......can't comment on 3rd edition, have the 2nd. Quick and easy reference, hits the right balance of detail and brevity IMO. Still use it from time to time, sometimes prefer books over internet.

I like the 'bad circuits' pages at the end of sections, hope they survived into the 3rd edition.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.