Rosetta Comet landing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I got out of space due to not having the patience, but to think that mission was conceived 25-30 years ago, took 10 years to build, 10 years to get there and they hope to get 60 hours of science from the probe. I take my hat off to the guys working on it, as today they could have litterally seen their whole careers go phoot.

Well "our" aerospace technology has certainly advanced orders of magnitudes in the past 5 decades, but considering just the navigational math and timing involved, I think pretty much most of what'd been accomplished during that time - even the Mars landings, was kid's play compared to this.

But then, I ain't no rocket scientist

Well "our" aerospace technology has certainly advanced orders of magnitudes in the past 5 decades, but considering just the navigational math and timing involved, I think pretty much most of what'd been accomplished during that time - even the Mars landings, was kid's play compared to this.

Ain't that the truth, Did you see this video Where is Rosetta?
(had to update my video drivers) What a game of billiards, looks like they used the old "gravitational slingshot" 3 or 4 times.
yes, a maz ing

10 years from launch and all systems function properly upon landing. Pretty amazing.

I think it took one system reboot near approach time - good thing they didn't decide to upgrade their OS to W8 or Yosemite along the way. ;)

you know, "we" can catch up with a pretty fast moving target (55,000 kmph?) after 10yrs of inter-planetary gymnastics, orbit it, land a clothes-washer sized package of robotic electronic instruments, and communicate test data home - but woe to the fool who tries to update the OS on their iPhone ;)

Last edited:
but woe to the fool who tries to update the OS on their iPhone......Just did it in record time on my iPad. 1 hour 15 minutes.

I updated my iPAD to IOS 8.0 when I got it, it did take a while but it didn't work too good after the update. About a month later I get to update to 8.1. OK, at least the iPAD works good now........

This laptop came with W8.0 which I never figured out how to operate. About a month later I get to update to 8.1. OK it's been almost a year and it still doesn't work right......

Think about the hardware and software available 10+ years ago, and we can chase down a comet speeding through the solar system, catch it, and land on it????? Are we making progress?

I'm still running V1 of the OS on my Nokia.

Do it once do it right. Its just a phone guys.

I can fully comprehend this mission and what it entails (tho not all of the science of it) and I must say that when I heard of this launch 10 years ago it felt like I would be alive in the future when it happened, here I am today however and it feels like the present, not much has changed. We're still screwing each other over here on planet earth for a percentage of the natural resources of this planet. This is important to realize when we are doing these space missions to further the exploration and exploitation of other planetoids/asteroids.

I don't want Earth to become a garbage dump in the future, I want us as a species to realize that where you poop you also eat and breathe here on Earth.

The modern smartphone which has an average life of 18 months is the perfect example of just how brash we are with the resources of this planet. If you want to save earth then cut through the corporate hype and realize what the device really is, a disposable wipe where corporations make it so flimsy that you have to buy a new one each year. Maybe then we can force them to make it last longer.

The best we could do is a closed source operating system on a highly advanced phone that we throw around like jewellery and have to re-buy each year, However I'm still waiting for my spacesuit and flying car. 4K tv and 8K tv however is a genuine step ahead but it will also create massive amounts of waste in the process of upgrading from 1080p.

We seem to want to ruin anything good in technology with laws and corporate greed. Just look at the FTTN that is being rolled out in Aust instead of a top of the line future proof FTTH network. Just to keep Foxtel/Pay TV services and Telstra in buisness.

I wonder when we will grow up and realize that this planet is the only thing keeping us alive and we shouldn't use it like a punching bag. Its good to praise these advanced space programs but we also need to wield the power that we've been given correctly.

Hopefully another 10 years time will forsee the next step towards Mars and 3D printing creates the homes that we may very well live in on there.

This mission is very nice for the robot going there but I won't feel extatic until another human is on another planetary object (aside from the Moon). That doesn't mean that I'm disappointed about it. I'm just disappointed that this story won't be interesting to 99% of people on this planet.

Last edited:
spread the contagious virus that is us to pristine other worlds

Maybe, but we probably won't get too far before we wipe ourselves out.

The best we could do is a closed source operating system on a highly advanced phone that we throw around like jewellery

We toss out millions of phones (and other tech) because we have been programmed to "need" the newest feature set that comes out.

My daughter is still using my 4 year old Galaxy S1. Sherri and I are still using the 2 year old Galaxy Note 2's that we have. The phone carriers in the US are finally allowing users to "Bring Your Own Device" so that we can use them until they die at a reduced monthly cost. The devices today are powerful enough to run the latest Android OS available, so there is really no reason to upgrade.....as long as you can get a battery for it.

A lithium ion battery is good for about 1000 charges, about 3 years of daily recharging......A phone will usually need a daily recharge, but most have a user replaceable battery. Apple devices, and some Windoze laptops do not, charge only when needed!

Last edited:
Maybe, but we probably won't get too far before we wipe ourselves out.

I see the cracks forming now whenever I go out shopping. Its difficult sometimes trying to keep a straight face whenever you see people going about their buisness and watching as they consume and waste so much energy.

It is positive sometimes though, I saw that the local hairdressers is using LED lights now instead of Halogen.

When well done by Sylvania or Philllips LED can be worthwhile and very broad spectrum light, when done poorly it can give you so much eyestrain that it feels like spikes are being put in your eyes.

Apparently we're the #1 most consuming nation per population size in the entire world.

We toss out millions of phones (and other tech) because we have been programmed to "need" the newest feature set that comes out.
My daughter is still using my 4 year old Galaxy S1. Sherri and I are still using the 2 year old Galaxy Note 2's that we have. The phone carriers in the US are finally allowing users to "Bring Your Own Device" so that we can use them until they die at a reduced monthly cost. The devices today are powerful enough to run the latest Android OS available, so there is really no reason to upgrade.....as long as you can get a battery for it.
That is very commendable and very good for the environment but remember to try and recycle those batteries. Thank you for doing this! :)

A lithium ion battery is good for about 1000 charges, about 3 years of daily recharging......A phone will usually need a daily recharge, but most have a user replaceable battery. Apple devices, and some Windoze laptops do not, charge only when needed!
Yes, and I still see Alkaline batteries for sale when we have Sanyo Eneloop's widely available.

I question the green-ness of Lithium Ion when a NiCD battery (whcih contains toxic cadmium) lasts for 10+ years.

Sure Lithium Ion is more efficient so maybe that makes up for its short lifetime.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.