Rosetta Comet landing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I've stated before in the last reply I made I have a Maglite 2C with 2x Sanyo Eneloop NiCD cells, so far it hasn't had a single issue and I hope that it lasts for a long time.

Freax, I offer a clarification here. No argument or anything like that, you have knowledgeable posts.

The Eneloop batteries are now made by Panasonic who bought out Sanyo a while back. The Eneloops are made in a Fujitsu factory who made them for Sanyo and now for Panasonic. Panasonic is trying to establish its own Eneloop factory in China but so far the Chinese Eneloops are not up to the same Japanese quality.

And, this is the big one, Eneloops are nickel metal hydride, not NiCd.

two kinds of Amaloops
If you want to save a few bucks on Eneloops, the AmazonBasics white wrapper are the same as 2nd generation Eneloops. They come from the same production line in the same Fujitsu factory. The AmazinBasics black label is a decent NiMh but it is not an Eneloop, it is made in China.
AmazonBasics has just released a black label high capacity battery. This one is identical to the Eneloop XX and claiming a 2400 mAH capacity and 500 recharging cycles.
Summary, three kinds of AmazonBasics low discharge NiMh but only two are real Eneloops.

Duraloops
The Duracell Ion Core is also the same as Eneloop XX. There was an earlier Duraloop but I don't have particulars.

Links are available if you need them.

Hope some of this helps.

Finally, Philae was found.

Space in Images - 2014 - 11 - OSIRIS spots Philae drifting across the comet

Regards,
Tibi

Correction.
"The final location of Philae is still not known, but after touching down and bouncing again at 17:25 GMT, it reached there at 17:32 GMT. The imaging team is confident that combining the CONSERT ranging data with OSIRIS and navcam images from the orbiter and images from near the surface and on it from Philae’s ROLIS and CIVA cameras will soon reveal the lander’s whereabouts."

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody didn't do their homework - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philae_%28spacecraft%29:

An analysis of telemetry indicated that the landing was softer than expected, that the harpoons had not deployed upon landing, and that the thruster had not fired.[26][27] The harpoon propulsion system contained 0.3 grams of nitrocellulose, which was shown by Copenhagen Suborbitals in 2013 to be unreliable in a vacuum.[28] Further analysis indicated that the lander had bounced twice and landed three times;[29][30] the first bounce (with a velocity of 0.38 m/s, compared to 1 m/s incoming[31]) lasted two hours and may have been 1 km (0.62 mi) high, the second (at 0.03 m/s) lasted seven minutes.[32][33] The initial bounce was the largest in history at 1 kilometre (0.62 mi), because of the very low gravity on the comet.[34] Philae sits askew on all three legs, leaning on a rock in partial darkness as much as a kilometre from the first landing spot at an unknown location

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.