Does SS power amp have advantage over tubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Distortion though is a product, what causes IM is non-linearity, and I agree non-linearity also causes THD. So that leads us to consider transfer functions, although they're only useful when there's no frequency-dependent non-linearity (and there always is in practice).
You lost me - harmonics don't cause anything, they're the result of passing a signal through a non-linear network.
A single frequency through a non linear amp generates 2H, 3H.........That is harmonic distortion. Like you said, music contains multiple frequencies. Each frequency creates it's harmonics due to the non linearity of the amplifier. Then the harmonics of these frequencies mix and create IM.

I think we are talking about the same thing.

I always think the right distortion can sound very good. But I was told lower the distortion that better. And the tube amp definitely loss in the distortion dept. But it might sound better.

Valve amps can also be made low enough distortion to be transparent. Then they sound the same. This has been proven. Since you say you are a new audiophile, perhaps accept some of these things, instead of buying into myths.

That's where I disagree. Speaker and recording produce the most distortion. I think I covered this in a few post already as I was a musician for over 10 years. Anyone that play long in music knows that the real live music sounds nothing like in any recording. So you talk about how much you like the sound of the system, not how true is the sound to the original live music. It is a fantasy that people think they actually hear the true performance listening to even the best system in the world.

No fantasy here. The speakers and room are still making their own sound, but amps don't have to. It's a step in the right direction. As for the recording, it is the recording: as 'playback people', our goal is to access the recording. We can like or dislike the production on its own merits, both musically and sonically. But let's not kid ourselves that amps *have to* be heard, nor chosen based on their distortion's 'better sound'.

Not baiting, I just point out the inconsistency that I got here. I presented the technical facts on the first post that if sound quality is directly related to low distortion, then tube amp loose out completely. But obviously it's not true.

It is true. Remember, valve amps can also be made low enough distortion to be transparent. So your argument falls over at the starting gate.

As for inconsistencies, as a new audiophile, you will constantly be given inconsistent suggestions. But you seem to be arriving with strong arguments, rather than being neutral and wanting to sort out the inconsistent advice.

You can easily arrive at the answer to your 'amplifier question' by accepting that good modern SS amps are generally quite transparent, when applied appropriately to loads and voltages as per their intended design. You will hear a lot of uninformed banter to the opposite, of course. You don't have to believe it, though. It's religious.

there are more knowledgeable members here willing to help you out if you are not so deeply brainwashed by snake oil artists....

just by reading here i was able to design and build my own OPT's and work on tube circuits....you just have to be open minded and discerning enough to know when you are being fed hogwash....

there are more knowledgeable members here willing to help you out if you are not so deeply brainwashed by snake oil artists....

just by reading here i was able to design and build my own OPT's and work on tube circuits....you just have to be open minded and discerning enough to know when you are being fed hogwash....
Thanks. I definitely have an open mind, I am only at the information collection stage. I read about 110 pages of Cordell SS power amp book, still waiting for the tube book to arrive.

Alan0354 said:
2) Then tube circuit has to have OPT, one more source of distortion and reduce open loop gain because it is stepping down. Lower loop gain implies more distortion.
OPT does impedance transformation. It reduces open loop voltage gain but you take account of that in the feedback design so it does not imply more distortion due to reduced feedback.

In feedback circuit, the higher the loop gain( not open loop gain), the lower the distortion.
Yes, other things being equal. Other things are not equal, as valves have both less gain and less distortion than typical SS devices. You could turn your argument on its head and say that BJTs are so seriously distorting at more than a few mV signal that it is only because they have some much gain and so can have so much feedback applied to them that they can be used for any amplification at all.

This with the fact the tube amp has lower loop gain, You can't get the output impedance low enough!!!
You can get the output impedance low enough. DF of 10 or 20 is sufficient. The fact that an SS amp can get DF up to 500 does not mean that 500 is better than 50. Curiously, some people choose to use very low DF (around 1 or 2) but then either have to buy special speakers or put up with bass boom.

4) Also, most tube circuit is much higher impedance and bigger in size, this make layout much more critical and much harder to avoid crosstalk. In guitar amp, at least you only deal with 5KHz. Here you deal with 20KHz and the amp needs to be able to go much higher frequency response. Layout and wire length is going to that much more critical. I am reading the Audio power amp book by Bob Cordell, he is talking about the amps are design to have 500KHz BW. This is going to be a whole lot tougher for tube amp to run good at that frequency.
Valves can amplify quite happily up to tens of MHz in wideband circuits (e.g. video) and hundreds of MHz in narrow band circuits (e.g. radio). The problems are different from SS, due to the different impedance, not worse than SS. Of course, you can't expect to amplify MHz with the sort of poor layout you find in a guitar amp.

If tube distortion is not helping the sound of the tube power amp, I just don't see how tube circuit can be better than SS amp in respect of distortion performance.
Distortion has to be low enough to be inaudible (apart from those people who prefer some audible distortion). Both valves and SS can provide sufficiently low distortion. Once it is low enough there is no advantage in making it lower. It just happens that the amount of SS feedback needed to make distortion low enough at 20kHz also makes it much lower at 1kHz but that confers little advantage apart from marketing.

I am new in audiophile, so excuse me if I offend anyone here. I am not trying to stir up trouble. I always though tube gives even harmonics that is more pleasing to the ears. BUT, I read quite a few posts here. Sounds like the main thing about sound quality is low distortion. Both here and SS forum here are saying the same thing, the lower the distortion, the better the transparency and bigger the sound stage. So I just look at the two approaches and here is my opinions:

1) By the nature of tubes that you only have equivalent of NPN or NMOSFET, it is already a clean disadvantage to SS design that they have complementary devices like PNP or PMOSFET. Lots of advantage to be have for cancelling distortion using complementary devices cannot be done with tubes.

2) Then tube circuit has to have OPT, one more source of distortion and reduce open loop gain because it is stepping down. Lower loop gain implies more distortion.

Thanks

The circlotron gets around your point number (1); it provides a completely balanced output stage.

Concerned your point number (2), as has been remarked elsewhere, tube amplifiers do not have to have output transformers. So in fact a circlotron OTL gets around both of your first two points.

Opinions differ on whether it is good to use negative feedback or not. Of course, with traditional tube amplifiers the output transformer makes it difficult to use a lot a global feedback that includes the transformer in the loop. That objection is circumvented in an OTL amplifier. And a good dose of negative feedback means the output impedance of the OTL can be made very low.

A lot of people argue against using feedback, but I have never found the arguments very compelling. Whether or not the home audio amplifier uses feedback, the fact is that all the way along the chain from the microphones in the recording studio to the output from the CD player, absolutely colossal amounts of feedback have been used at many stages. If this really did have a bad effect on the sound, then it is hardly plausible that it could all be "fixed" by using no feedback at the final stage in the living room.

Chris

the recycling of old memes continues here - a post of mine from a decade ago:

the repetitive and uninformed nature of this "discussion" frustrates me - the fact that a few people new to the field are overly impressed by a few old papers that happen to reinforce their preconceptions about willful ignorance of the objectivist engineering community, bad negative feedback, "solid state" sound ect keeps this ridiculous game of "telephone" going - everyone repeats the same old stuff
That was one of the wisest and "on-point" comments I've read for a while. So true. What makes it even more "marvellous" is that this is by no means a new discovery. ...But I'm afraid that another decade forward from now and we're still in pretty much the same state.

The big problem, the way I see it, is that beginner's first source for information largely are discussions, websites and articles that largely revolve around self-perpetuating myths and which derive credibility from several decades old sources that might have been groundbreaking when they appeared but usually have been debunked several times as technology and our understanding of it has evolved and advanced. Unfortunately, most of the time this "progress" gets unforgotten or is "flying way below radar" for beginners who take their first steps in learning things.

On that note, I'm pretty sure someone will soon chime in to this discussion to enforce his views with links to sources like Wikipedia's "tube sound" article, or Russell O. Hamm's (in)famous whitepaper. Along with many others alike. Sigh.

Last edited:
Don't worry about it, Teemuk.

When Tellegen invented the pentode, professionals all went "Ah ah! Billiant! And we had triode lovers rubbish it then, and they're still at it.

Some time after the pentode ariived, Schade invented the beam power audio tetrode. And what a step forward it was! But until transistors arrived, there were folk who wouldn't accept anything other than a pentode output.

When Haffler & Keroes invented ultra-linear, professionals all went "Genius. Great" But look in Wireless World back then, and see the vitriol poured on UL. In other audio/electronics magazines too.

When LP records came in, professionals and consumers alike loved them - so much better sound than 78's. But go back and look in old magazines. There were 78 loyalists right up to the 1960's.

When CD's arrived, professionals and consumers alike loved them. So much better sound than LP's. But there's always been a few folk who reckoned LPs had better sound, enough that theyt still make LP's! There nothing rational about any of this.

We've had triode tubes, pentodes germanium bipolar transistors, silicon bipolar transistors, and power FETS. Each has its loyal admirers. If somebody invents a new device that outperforms everything before it, you'll see, there will arrive a band of enthusiasts that will defend to the death bipolar transistors, and dream up all sorts of pseudo-theory to support their arguments.

If history had been different, and the bipolar transistor invented first, and tubes later, we would have a great army of bipolar lovers happlily rubbishing those dreadful tubes.

This is not to say that designing and building tube amps isn't fun. It most certainly is! Thats why you're here isn't it?

Last edited:
That's why it's so confusing to know what to look for. Not only people here talked about distortion. I am reading Bob Cordell's Audio Power Amp book. I read over 100 pages, everything so far is on distortion, pages and pages of how to lower distortion by emitter degeneration on the IPS, current mirrors to increase impedance and increase OLG. Biasing the output transistor to lower crossover distortion.........Nothing but lowering distortion. It does not say in words that low distortion means better sound, but all the examples sure speaks very loud without saying that.

Sorry to stir up this. I am into audiophile in the sense as an end user, Electronics is my passion, but I am not planning to spend my life chasing for and design/build the ultimate amp. I am an EE for a long time and design guitar amps. My plan is to build an amp that is better than my Acurus in the next few months. I think I have the ability to design and build the amp, BUT my problem is building what amp?!!!! This turn out to be harder than building the amp as circuit is driven by priority. What do you design after? I sure hope I don't have to design and build a few amps before getting the answer!!! That's why I ask about this just like I ask about the parafeed before.

Bottom line is I want to build one amp that sounds good for me, not a few amps. So I have to first decide whether it's going to be tube or SS. Particular components of tube amp are very expensive, but is much easier to build. On the other hand, SS amp are a lot cheaper to build by the mechanical design of the heat sink and enclosure is going to be a lot more difficult. I sure hope I don't invest the time and money to build one and wish I have build the other.

Last edited:
Alan, you have what I call "paralysis analysis"... can't make a decision until you have all the facts. But what may be fact for one person is rubbish for another.

And you can't discuss "sound quality" on a message board because what sounds good to one person, may sound bad to another. What one hears as highly detailed, may to another sound tiring. Different strokes for different folks as they say. How do you discuss sound quality? You can't. Even the best poet out there can't discuss sound quality.

As an EE, you know it's easier to compare measurable properties vs. subjective things. Either has one more voltage or less voltage, more current or less current, more distortion or less distortion. It's a fact. It's a measurable fact... It's easier to compare things you can measure. But one can't compare two amps as one sounding better, and another one sounding not so good.

I sure hope I don't have to design and build a few amps before getting the answer!!!
I'd suggest BUY one instead. Go listen to different amps and buy what pleases your ear.

SS vs Tubz = false dichotomy, Accurate Amplifiers converge to inaudibility

you can listen with controls, frequency response and level matching, Blinding protocol

then, if you're willing to eq, tweak output Z you get:

Carver Challenge Details...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who might be interested, I dug up the Carver Challenge article in Stereophile. The brief background is Bob Carver (the man behind Phase Linear, Carver and now Sunfire) made it known to the press he would put his inexpensive amplifiers up against ANY amplifier in a blind test if he had a few days to adjust the transfer function of his amp to match the challenger's amp. Stereophile took him up on the challenge and here are some quotes from the article written by J. Gordon Holt:

"We knew that Carver couldn't possibly pull this off, at least not to the point where none of us would be able to distinguish between his modified 1.0 and our reference amp. After all, some of the most highly trained audio ears in the world would be listening for the differences."

"...the reference unit is a high-powered, very expensive stereo unit with a strong and unique sonic "personality" and a penchant for being very finicky about the loudspeakers it works with. It was, we were gleefully confident, likely to be very dissimilar in sound from Carver's own designs."

"Not surprisingly, the reference amplifier sounded very different [from the Carver] and, in our opinion (shared, in most respects, by Bob), much better."

"Bob didn't have to concern himself about quality capacitors, minimal internal wiring, gold connectors, or any of those things; all he needed to do was duplicate, at the output of his amplifier, the sum of their effects at the output of the reference amp. Once he had obtained the necessarily deep null between those amplifiers, it was his belief that ears were not going to pick up on what was left."

"After the second day of listening to his final design, we threw in the towel and conceded Bob the bout."

"We had thrown some of the most revealing tests that we know of at both amps, and they came through identically. Even on the subliminal level--the level at which you gradually get the feeling that one amplifier is more "comfortable" than another--we failed to sense a difference between the two amps."

"We wanted Bob to fail. We wanted to hear a difference. Among other things, it would have reassured us that our ears really are among the best in the business." (italics emphasis in original article)

"According to the rules of the game, Bob had won."

"The implications of all this are disquieting, to say the least. If, after only four days of work, it is possible for someone--design genius or not--to make a $700 amplifier sound exactly like a state-of-the-art amplifier costing many times as much, what does that say for the cost-effectiveness of the latter?"

The amplifier used was a Carver M1.0 selling for $699. Bob used null difference testing to tweak the M1.0 until he obtained a deep null with the (unnamed) Stereophile tube reference amp. They did not reveal the reference amp because they felt it would be unfair to that manufacture who might ask: "why us?".

It was later revealed the most significant modification Bob made was to simply put some series resistance into the output of the M1.0 to better approximate the much higher output impedance of the tube amp. The other tweaks were supposedly limited to a small R-C network in the feedback loop.

It should be noted that J. Gorden Holt was the Editor-At-Large and Chief Tester at that time. Larry Archibald, the Publisher, and John Atkinson, the International Editor and a frequent reviewer, also participated in the listening sessions.

The challenge showed two things IMHO:

1 - It validates null difference testing with "some of the most highly trained ears in the world". Bob simply nulled his amp to the reference and JGH, JA and LA at Stereophile could not tell them apart.

2 - It shows that you don't need expensive components or exotic techniques to make a very modest amplifier with mainstream parts sound like a much more esoteric amp.

Bob literally bought the components used to modify the stock M1.0 at Radio Shack and worked out of his hotel room in Sante Fe (home of Stereophile). He made a 20 pound (9kg) mass production solid state power amp full of cheap parts (with a rail switching class-G power supply no less) sound so close to a very expensive heavy monster tube design that some of the mightiest GoldenEars couldn't tell them apart.

Considering that Stereophile is mainly filled with ads from high-end vendors hurt by the outcome of the challenge (versus just one advertiser--Carver helped by it), and that everything would point to the editors not wanting to admit a $700 amp can sound the same as a five figure one, I have to assume they wrote an accurate article and were not paying Bob any special favors.

which leads to:

build amps if you're a electronics hobbyist - not for "quality audio"

Geddes doesn't seem to think "transparent" audio electronics is hard to do, and good enough electronics can be had very cheaply

his waveguide speakers, selling for $3k each, were demoed with < 3% of a pair's price in his mass market consumer amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee
You can believe it or not, but its true. I tested about five amps that I had and the Pioneer was the best.

People always take my statements out of context. Once one has good electronics - and clearly price and "personal perception" don't correlate with good - then the only thing that matters is the speaker and the room (source material being a given). I have never said that any piece of junk electronics is fine. Only that very inexpensive and readily available electronics place the electronics into the "insiginificant errors" category.

I know that this is not a popular position and it's not one that I have always held, but I have studied this problem intensely and this is my conclusion. It is, by the way, the same one as held by Flyod Toole and Lauri Fincham and a whole host of other well know audio researchers. It's amp designers and marketers who seem to hold contrary beliefs

Quote:
No hardly - I don't "favor it", but I was severly chastized for using it at RMAF when, in fact, no one really knew if it was any good or not. It works just fine as my measurements show. I would not use this amp for many applications, but it suited my point at the time, which was that loudspeakers account for 99% (well you could argue 98%, but you get my point) of the audio systems sound quality.

The amp is a Pioneer DSX-V912 - a receiver. The point is that it was on sale at Costco for $150.00. I bought several of them for home theater use. I used my test to measure the amps and they were quite good actually. Especially for chip amps. I was measuring a lot of chip amps (a survey of capability) and most were pretty bad. As a chip amp this unit deffinately stands out. It compared quite favorably to a very well engineered discrete amp that I also use.

I also tested several other receivers and they were almost universally bad.

Quote:
Crossover distortion is a particularly insideous form of nonlinearity because it happens at all signal levels and there is no comparable mechanism in a loudspeaker to mask it. The question was asked if I have a way of identifying crossover distortion in an amplifier.

Yes, I do.

You see the situation with crossover distortion is that the % distortion increases with falling signal level. This is exactly why it is so audible since this is directly opposite to our hearing.

One could therefor ***** crossover distortion by looking at THD as the signal level goes lower, which is a typical measurement. The problem is that virtually all of these THD versus level measurements are THD + noise. When this is the case, the rise in THD at lower signal levels is actually the noise and NOT the distortion, but it is impossible to tell which is which. SO this test actually masks the real problem. One would have to track the individual harmonics of the waveform, but then the noise floor is still an issue.

Hence the measurement problem is one of noise floor and how to measure distortion products down below this floor.

This is done by averaging. But normal averaging can only lower the noise floor so much - down to the noise power. But if I have a signal and I average this signal sychronously then I can raise the net signal to noise level. This too is common. But if the signal does not exactly fit the time base then I need to window it and the resultant spectral leakage makes this sychronous averaging less effective.

I use a signal that exactly fits into the time base of the A/D taking the data. This means that I don't have to use a window and I can sychronously average a signal to noise ratio that is about 20 dB better than a simpler test could achieve. This means for example that the input signal needs to be something like 976 Hz, not 1000 Hz, which doesn't exactly fit the window.

I actually had to generate the input wav file in FORTRAN using quad precision, special random number generators and rounding techniques, because the test signals needed to have a 120 dB dynamic range - very difficult with 16 bits.

I use a signal that starts out low and goes up in level. I plot out the results as the signal drops into the noise floor. This test shows vast differences in amps that measure identical with standard tests.

It also shows that my Pioneer amp - you know the "really crappy" one that I get crticized for using at RMAF - is an extremely good amplifier. As good as the best that I have tested with this technique.

basically if you're serious about improving audio reproduction with finite time and knowledge - don't build amps - just buy cheap adequate ones, spend the time and dollars on speakers and room

I like both types of amps. The tube amps will certainly offer more ear-friendly clipping behavior. In general, I find that tube amps sound very good, but lack the precision of the solid state amps. Some people prefer the slightly less precise transient response of a tube amp in exchange for a warmer and pleasant midrange. Tradeoffs, tradeoffs...

In general, tube amps will be heavier, less power efficient, more expensive, have lower bandwidth, higher distortion, and be more sensitive to load variations than a sand amp. Sand amps, on the other hand, won't look as cool and won't glow pretty in the dark.

In the end, it's a matter of personal preference.

~Tom

Stereo amps are just like guitar amps for me, I can't just have one. If you are truly addicted to sound and audio gear like the rest of us freaks on this website then you will have no choice but to either buy or build (this is a diy site right?) several amps both SS and tube. A couple years ago I completed a vintage tube amp restoration and love the results, I also built a couple of the classic Mullard 5-20 power amps, along with "slewmonster" SS amp designed by some smart folks on this website. My next project will probably be DHT amps, why? Because I need to have all the big boy toys before I die:)

I also recommended reading up on that Bob Carver challenge to you because instead of looking at schematics look at the amps as black boxes and just see the input/output properties of the amp, design your amp around those properties that give you the most listening enjoyment.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
People who think Tube amps, are inherently warm sounding, Have not experienced many Tube Amps,

My experience shows, SS amps or Tube amps can have a warm sound, or not.

Warm could be divided into many Types as well..

Lets's get more Listening experience, Folks!

:censored:Tubes amps sound Warm:censored:

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Agree on the cool looks,as long as tubes exposed..

Here's my latest.. about a week old..

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Transistors have many advantages over tubes. It's easier to turn the question around and ask, when are tubes better than transistors. I'd say, when they clip, and when they produce a more natural harmonic distortion spectrum before clipping. If clipping never occurs, the difference is VERY small (assuming both circuit designs are done well). Some people can hear a difference and others not. When the difference is indeed audible, it could be because of crossover distortion in a push-pull circuit, more than because it was tubes or transistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.