Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Crown macro and studio reference amps: what's the secret of their slam ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 6th October 2014, 02:52 PM   #1
elac310 is offline elac310  France
diyAudio Member

Default Crown macro and studio reference amps: what's the secret of their slam ?

Crown amps that is at least the Studio Reference series (and the presumably identical Macrotech / Macro Reference) do have a particular pronounced, live-like and realistic slam / punch in the bass. Having had or tested several class A, AB, Mosfet, non mosfet amps, valve SET or PP etc. etc. I must say this bass is really particular. A friend of mine has made the same observation and he uses/has used a variety of amps including big audiophile US amplifiers. We both use large enclosures with 15" woofers (JBL Everest, Onken W-inspired cabinet) mono-amplified and passive equalized.

Let's forget a minute about the figures, especially the abnormal high damping factor. The explanation probably lies elsewhere and I'd like to hear those points of view. I also remember a guy back in the 1980s (before SR and Macrotech even existed I guess) who worked for a PA rental business and who always stated that the Crown / Amcron slam was something special.

Is anyone familiar enough with the topology specifics of these amps and able to explain what their secret is, or formulate a hypothesis ?

Old 6th October 2014, 03:13 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

Power and appearance.

Old 6th October 2014, 03:32 PM   #3
scopeboy is offline scopeboy  Scotland
diyAudio Member

They're also heavy so they make a wicked slam when you drop them on your toes.

Good solid-state amps have very low levels of distortion. So low that it is really hard to find any explanation for the subjective differences in sound that many people report.

Old 6th October 2014, 08:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Power and appearance.
The power does not come into play. Believe me. My loudspeaker system is much above 100 dB/1m/2,83V and the slam is there even at very reasonable levels (can't use much anyway except on classical and acoustical music recorded without compression).

Appearance: Hmmm. They don't look as provocative, excentric or "hi-endish" as many other amps. And at nearly 50, I need more to turn me on suggestively.

Old 6th October 2014, 08:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopeboy View Post
They're also heavy so they make a wicked slam when you drop them on your toes.

Good solid-state amps have very low levels of distortion. So low that it is really hard to find any explanation for the subjective differences in sound that many people report.
Come on man...I'm sure we can come up with better explanations / theories.

Old 6th October 2014, 08:09 PM   #6
MagicBox is offline MagicBox  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Good current capacity? (I don't know, wild guess as I don't know a thing about their supplies)

Old 6th October 2014, 08:12 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by elac310 View Post

Appearance: Hmmm. They don't look as provocative, excentric or "hi-endish" as many other amps.
But the appearance suggests power. You are by definition unaware of your subconscious reactions and biases.

Seriously, it's all suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
Good current capacity? (I don't know, wild guess as I don't know a thing about their supplies)
That's power, which elac has already dismissed.

Old 6th October 2014, 08:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
Maybe but not that much. There is a relatively big toroid transformer, the supply runs at about 100V (P=U^2/R) but the main caps are ridiculously small on the capacitance side, by audiophile standards (2x6800uF if I remember).
It's a class AB design, but clearly leaning more towards B than A.

Old 6th October 2014, 08:24 PM   #9
greierasul is offline greierasul  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to greierasul
Maybe a small ground isolator resistor in the NFB, or maybe without that resistor.

Old 6th October 2014, 08:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
But the appearance suggests power. You are by definition unaware of your subconscious reactions and biases.

Seriously, it's all suggestion.

Closed Thread

Crown macro and studio reference amps: what's the secret of their slam ?Hide this!Advertise here!