On growing old (and keeping it up)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Double entendre was intentional but this is not about bedroom performance.. This is about doing the things that made us visit this forum and keep on doing them regardless of our age, whether as a hobby or as a profession. This is about electronic projects and old-age.

I'm nearing mid 30s and so far still blessed with a good pair of eyes and steady hands. Both are unquestionably needed when messing with parts smaller than our finger nails. Lately i've been thinking, perhaps seeing my dad slowly falling apart from getting old has something to do with it, how long will i have them? My mind goes back to decades ago when grandpa was still alive. When he was young, he had the same interest in electronics which was hard to believe since i remember him struggling to hold a spoon whatwith Parkinson's attacking his nerves. I fear the day when i can no longer insert resistor leads to PCBs or read the numbers on ceramic caps, let alone soldering SMD parts! Sitting in a bus for 3 hours and not doing my projects is enough to get me antsy, i can't imagine if age gets the better of me and makes that ride permanent..

I'm sorry if this post depresses you.. it was not my intention :) I notice a lot of members here are from those days when thermionic valve appliances were still the norm.. which is good news for me! (hey, they are still visiting so they must be doing fine!)

In short.. how do you keep on doing what you do? What can we do now that would help us later? Stories and experiences are appreciated.

Never given to profound thinking, my initial response would include:
-"nearing mid 30's"? - some of us have sneakers older than that :D
- inherit good genes
- wake up every morning
- revise your expectations to match your abilities

All kidding aside, the types of physical and cognitive degeneration of which you speak are no laffing matter, and I wouldn't wish them on anyone .... well that's not quite true... and no matter how blessed we currently are, and how well we try to take care of ourselves, we're all targets for the universe's caprice.

-"nearing mid 30's"? - some of us have sneakers older than that

My first thought was...some of have tubes older than that, then I actually engaged my brain and realized that I have IC chips older than that and the output tubes in my TSE are now 85 years old. Time does fly and it will slip away faster than you realize.

I fear the day when i can no longer insert resistor leads to PCBs or read the numbers on ceramic caps, let alone soldering SMD parts!

I started my job at Motorola in 1973. We still shipped one product that used tubes. It was an airborne SELCALL (selective calling) decoder that used a pair of 12AX7's and mechanical vibrating reeds. Its replacement had been designed in the 60's but the FAA's flight qualification process was quite long at the time. For the last 30 years I was involved in advanced development, primarily designing and building prototype devices. When I started that endeavor, leaded components and through hole PCB's were the norm. When I left the company multi layer HDI boards and 0201 SMD's were the latest tech.

As I grew older my eyesight got weaker. Mot got me a microscope to deal with smaller SMD's so vision was never a problem. I think I upgraded my microscope 3 times during my career.

The real problem was hand shake. As parts got smaller the vibration at the end of a pair of tweezers in my hands got worse. About 3 years ago I could no longer deal with the 0204 SMD parts. Fortunately we had a lab tech that could solder them for me. He was older than me, and retired last year leaving me without help.

My situation may be unique, but I learned to deal with the shake as best as I can. Avoid caffeine when soldering. Some days are better than others. If you can't solder the small stuff one day, put it away and try again tomorrow. Build stuff with big parts!

If DIY is your passion, you will likely be capable of building something well into your later years. Will DIY electronics still be around and viable, say 40 years from now......That may be a bigger issue threatening younger readers. A good bit of today's tech is already out of reach to non corporate people.

Joined 2011
I had not worked at the PC board level for several years, and then at about 45 I had to build a custom PC circuit and realized I could not see well enough at close range to solder the darn thing. Well out came the lighted magnifier and reading glasses. My distance vision is still quite good. I just turned 58 a couple of weeks ago. I am lucky to still have steady hands, so no problem there.

You've just got to stay active.

I used to play bridge in college and when i joined tournaments, it was not a rare occasion that i get to be seated next to elderly ladies. They were still memorizing bids and card signals when some people their age can't even remember their birthday (which should not be underestimated. Those who play the sport would understand). I should play bridge again.. i believe it's a good sport for the brain. At least it takes care one of the three internal factors i think are essential on doing these projects: brain, eyes, hands.

I use reading glasses for building pcb's.
I use a magnifying glass for reading small text on components.
Next on the list is eyes. I'm eating my vitamins and always try to read in well-lit rooms but i guess being near-sighted is kinda difficult to avoid. If the solution is just simple magnifying glass+microscope, i can live with that. Although, i'm not pessimistic that i will experience the future when those are no longer needed with the development of medicals and surgeries. I'm sure LASIK surgeries at least would be cheaper.. I should add that mom is now in her 60s and she is still inserting threads into needles herself when sewing so i should be more optimistic.

If you can't solder the small stuff one day, put it away and try again tomorrow. Build stuff with big parts!
This. When it comes to hand stability, I have expected this to happen to me someday. It's not always a bad thing though. They say wisdom comes with age.. i guess having to do things slower has something to do with it. I lost count of how many times i rush into things and end up with magic smoke escaping from my chassis.

Will DIY electronics still be around and viable, say 40 years from now......That may be a bigger issue threatening younger readers. A good bit of today's tech is already out of reach to non corporate people.
Ah yes.. we are spoiled by our Chinese friends with cheap modules just some Ebay clicks away. I am still flipping the same Elektor magazine pages that i got from my uncle some 20 years ago, the ones with Crescendo and AXL amplifiers, Prelude preamps,etc. It's sad to think that i can't find similar magazine right now locally.. That clearly shows the lesser interest in DIY electronics lately (or does it? with the internet storing schematics and keeping overseas sellers close to us, i shouldn't be too sure). Just a few months ago i ordered one of my PCB fabricators to make me copies of Elektor's universal perforated PCB. I'm talking about the one they used to giveaway with every magazine purchase. (I just found out they no longer offer it on the website! They still did just a few months ago!) Anyway, it turns out it was a bad idea as making perforated PCBs are more expensive than PCBs for particular circuit design (with lesser number of holes). I guess my PCB fabricators don't have the proper drill hardware for it. It's sad because that universal PCB was a very good idea.

Growing old

From my experience (I will officially be a senior in December) the body ages much faster than the mind. A love for music or technology never fades but you may have to adjust your parameters and have some young buck who is in his 30's build your weird pentagonal surround speakers for you. Just put your coffee at the back of your counter and if you can reach it in the morning make a toast to another great day, take the dog for a walk and enjoy the people you have the good fortune to meet.

My hats off to Dave, Chris and all who continue to explore the creation of sound, so I can sit back with a dog on my lap, a cup of coffee in my hand and enjoy the vocal awesomeness of the likes of Cecile Mcloran Salvant, Diana Drew, Ann Hampton Calloway and the retro sounds of Alan Parson's project.

If you spend any time worrying about growing old you are missing the potential treasures of today.

Ok, time to walk the dog, have a cold beer and see if my speakers can handle the power that is Lara Fabian.

I'm nearing mid 30s and so far still blessed with a good pair of eyes and steady hands. Both are unquestionably needed when messing with parts smaller than our finger nails. Lately i've been thinking, perhaps seeing my dad slowly falling apart from getting old has something to do with it, how long will i have them?

I started to need bifocals at 40.

When I turned 50, my mother told me that her 40's were her best years, from 50 on it was all down hill. She neglected to tell me how steep that hill can be!

Late 40's, my golf game went to hell. I couldn't seem to see the ball any more. I found out why when I failed the eye test and couldn't renew my driver's license - I had a cataract in my left eye. Got that corrected at 50, the next year it was the other eye.

Then complications from those procedures - retinal detachments, first one eye, then the other. Then scar tissue on my left macula leading to a puckered retina, invasive surgery for that one, and months of prednisone drops to try to get the fluid out from behind the retina. It's mostly normal now, but not completely.

At this point, soldering SMD devices just ain't in my future. Soldering tube circuits isn't too bad, they tend to be big, but tubes just make too much heat in my little den. Smaller components need serious magnification, which is disorienting when you look away to grap the soldering iron or a pair of nippers. Do it too long and I'll wind up with a headache and / or nausea.

I may have to stick to building speakers from now on.

Enjoy your burrito!

Thanks Chris

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree Halie is a fine vocalist....I have her album "Simply Love". So many great vocalists worthy of great speakers...I am looking forward to the set you and Dave are building.

The artisan builds, the artist sings ....isn't it a tad ironic that I ,of so little talent, reap the rewards....

I'm 55 and certainly can't do things I was once able to do, heal more slowly, and have aches and pains I didn't have before. That's all good. That's life. I try to exercise, eat well, research what I eat and the chemicals in the food, and take care of my lungs (mask when woodworking...). These are the best years of my life. I keep my mind engaged by reading, doing puzzles, and having discussions that make me examine my thoughts.
I am the second oldest of the 21 other people with whom I work directly. I'll be retiring in the next few months (I've been a military person in one sense or another since 1979). I'll be starting a second career.
Stay busy, occupied, interested, and avoid stress. Growing older isn't good or bad. It is what it is. Enjoy the ride.
Mike

While on the subject of taking care of our body, i'm thinking about getting myself a TIG+stick welder and learn how to weld. It's interesting to see how similar TIG welding is to tin soldering a long PCB track, or so i think. However, i'm worried being exposed to bright arcs from welding might be too hard for the eyes even if we wear our mask, especially at later age. What do you think?

Hi, Yes indeed things go down hill. I agree with the comments on match your endeavors with whatever level of skill and dexterity you have. You may actually be surprised how much you can accomplish. I personally have chosen to generally ignore the physical impediments that occur with age and am continually coming up with new things and ideas to challenge me. While I have been involved with electronics in one way or another for 54 years it wasn't until 2008 that I started to design my own equipment. Since then a goodly number of nice things have crossed my work bench. So much so that several are now commercial products. BTW I'm 68.

While on the subject of taking care of our body, i'm thinking about getting myself a TIG+stick welder and learn how to weld. It's interesting to see how similar TIG welding is to tin soldering a long PCB track, or so i think. However, i'm worried being exposed to bright arcs from welding might be too hard for the eyes even if we wear our mask, especially at later age. What do you think?

I used to weld with a typical arc welder. I got mu eyes flashburned once. That was enough for me. Pretty painful. However, the pain isn't the worst of it. The damage done surely can't be good. The doctor told me a flashburn is part of your eye getting sunburned. Definitely not a good option for retirement years! With today's welding hoods, it should be pretty simple to find one that offers the protection your eyes need.
Now....what about those fumes? Can't be good to breathe those either.
Mike

I have a friend in his 50s who has been a professional welder for well over a quarter century. All he needs is reading glasses. Masks are likely engineered for safe prolonged exposure.
A couple of weeks ago I was amazed watching him adjust the TIG welder; he looked away and set it by ear.

At this point, soldering SMD devices just ain't in my future.

The SMD world is getting smaller and smaller. You can still get discrete (L's C's and R's) that are large enough for just about anyone to hand solder. Unfortunately DIP IC's are getting fewer and fewer. More and more new chips are available ONLY in LEADLESS SMD packages. These are very difficult to hand solder, even for experts with proper tools and first quality PCB's. The pin density on many of the newer chips is so high that multi layer PCB's and small discrete components are needed.

I have been looking at designing a new kind of music synthesizer. There have been roadblocks all along the way. These will get worse and worse as chip and software companies eat each other, or go away. Big companies have no problem dropping a few K$ on a compiler or a development system, but the average DIY'er is left out. I need a dozen or more DDS chips. The right chip for the job only comes in a QFN (Quad Flat No lead) package, and the chip with leads is $35 each. As I said earlier many of the new technologies are just not going to be DIY friendly.

i am 61 now, came back home from my last overseas job, nov of 2010,
being free of child rearing duties now as all my kids now
left college and into the corporate world....
that leaves mo all to myself and together with the wifey to do
what i love doing best, build amps, especially tube amps,
i have been building then like more than 5 amps a year now, and will not stop....
i am also building my own transformers used for all my projects....
thanks to this forum i gained a lot to be able to do just that...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.