Had a good walk in the forest today!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Had a very nice walk in the woods today! Didn't go very far, but we found lots of nice mushrooms! And we had the mandatory campfire coffee. The kids where a bit stumped when we had gotten back to the car without grilling anything. We usually bring a little something, like salted and dried meat or some good sausages, that they can cook with sticks over the fire. So only chocolate and biscuits for them today. But what a nice harvest!

Attachments

• CAM00347[1].jpg
    CAM00347[1].jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 204
  • CAM00346[1].jpg
    CAM00346[1].jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 191
Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
All those are edible.

A few years ago I started getting to know 1-2 kinds of edible mushroom each year. Better to play it safe. 97% certainty is not good enough. Better to miss a good supper or two than being ill.

I spend a lot of my time reading about mushrooms now. A lot of the books and sources are, not contradictory, but they have different angles, viewpoints and expressions.

The white ones are Albatrellus ovinus (Fåresopp) Which I didn't like at all until I finally understood that I was cooking them wrong, they are much better than their reputation.

Edit:
Learning about the Russula (kremle) family this year, which is a bit challenging since some of them are poisonus.

Last edited:
The Death Trumpets I dried, and ground into meal, put it in a jar to use throughout the Winter. As an additive.

Albatrellus ovinus (Fåresopp) I slice up and fry hard with butter salt and pepper, then they taste great! They do not taste good after being frozen, and also not good in soups, sauces etc.

Picked some Leccinum versipelle (Rødskrubb), which is nice in sauces and soups. They are in the freezer also. A safe mushroom, but some people do not cook it properly and get sick.

We got quite a bit of Boletus edulis (Steinsopp) which is very good and all, but I do not understand what the fuzz is about.

We got some Chantarelles (Kantarell), they are immediately delegated to the frying pan. Very tasty and good fresh, must be sure to not overcook them, can be a tad bitter when overcooked.

And last but not least, we picked an abundance of Cantharellus tubaeformis (Traktkantarell). Great for anything! Most people here don't pick them (Because there are so many! What a stupid reason!), and leave them alone, so more for me! The freezer is completely full!

We got some other types too, but in small quantities.
Mostly we use the mushrooms in sauces, or fry them. We eat mushrooms several times every week. And we use lots of mushrooms when we make Taco, with homemade salsa, guacamole and stuff (having it tomorrow with some friends). Most of the food we make is from ground up, the only food we get in bags are flour for making bread, so to speak.

This year has been the worst ever for berries and mushroom.
But yesterday we had a walk in the forest again, and we found some Boletus edulis that where absolutely pristine, no worms or anything.
It's really late for that kind of thing, I think the normal time of year is around July sometime. Now we have 6 degrees c in the night, so Chantrelles are probably not going to happen. Also found some different variations of the Leccinum mushrooms. Some very young and some old and "woody".

Had to cover A LOT of ground to find anything at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.