Robin Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
^ The problem is that the student needs to want to learn (or believe that it can help). All of the help in the world may be available, but if the individual does not want to accept it, it will do no good. There is a fundamental need of acceptance of ones situation, and a desire to do something about it (and probably more importantly the belief that something can be done about it) that I think are necessary before progress can be made.

Tony.

Please let's not blame society for *causing* mental illness. It is nice to have such a scapegoat, but IMO, one needs to be genetically predisposed to succumb to depression. Medication often helps, but in and of itself, it is insufficient. Therapy is also necessary.

What is sad, is the cost of such treatment. Even in Canada, it is not covered by the gov't run programs. This is one huge failing in the Canadian gov't and shows that at this time, we have lost ( or have never really had ) the capacity to care for each other.

This is particularly clear in pay-for-service medicine, where the emphasis is on pay, not medicine. So, while I do not think we can blame society for causing mental illness, I thing we can blame society for not treating mental illness. (Though in Robin Williams case, the cost of healthcare was not an issue.)

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I think everybody knows about depression because something, sooner or later, is going to go south in your life. Chronic depression is another story, there your genes are playing you a dirty trick. I believe in chemistry but chemists don't know much, brain too complex for them. Maybe in the future....

But then we're told drugs are terrible and some of them are...terrible expensive.

Apparently he was suffering from Parkinsons. It is a bad disease a bit like brain cancer, it is progressive, non curable and affects your very existence. The diagnosis alone is destructive. The symptoms, depending on the stage and rate of progress of the disease, would also be a factor. His medication might also have something to do with it. However hanging is not an painless, smooth, or quick way to go, it is actually quite the opposite, unless you are an expert and know how to break your neck rather than asphyxiate while kicking and basically suffering terribly. I am surprised that he chose this violent way, rather than a gun or poison (overdose).

Apparently you do not consider mutulating ones body, by blowing your brains out with a gun, as a violent way.

A sense of decorum would refrain oneself from discussing whether a troubled mind acted rationally or in the spur of a desperate moment.

If you live long enough and experienced enough bad luck, one day you'll understand more than you wished for.

Status
Not open for further replies.