What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Universe doesnt exist.
Its just mans model of his environment in his mind.

One thing more amazing than the universe is the concept of consciousness.
Why am I me and not someone else ?
Given there were a million sperm how come I exist ? and if another sperm fertilised the egg I wouldnt have existed. What if my mother never met my father ?
The chances are I shouldnt be here but I am.

Isn't Norway the land of the midnight sun?
I meant to say, KaffiMann, that one of my secondary school friends had a Norwegian mother.

Her relatives sent him a fantastic Norwegian cardigan one Christmas, the likes of which his classmates could only dream of owning.

When he wore it, he looked just like Bruce Welch of the Shadows on their first album cover.

R-650349-1449837497-8314.jpeg.jpg

He had inherited his mother's Scandinavian good looks too, the lucky sod!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yep. My wife was below directing. Those two big stumps were the learning curve; steep, no pun intended. I have new respect for lumberjacks! I chopped off the top of the first one way too low when it was still 16in in dia., my wife's fault. I'm calling down to her, "is this high enough"? Her..."I,I don't know". Me... "well is it!? Her..."y,yeah, I think sooo". Well when that huge upper half came down it luckily just took out one stair tread. I at least cut the wedge out on the correct side. After that I worked my way up to the tops. :)

Steve, According to your Wikipedia reference, Uhura claims the exact opposite!

"William Shatner recalls in Star Trek Memories that NBC insisted their lips never touch (the technique of turning their heads away from the camera was used to conceal this). However, Nichelle Nichols insists in her autobiography Beyond Uhura (written in 1994 after Shatner's book) that the kiss was real, even during takes in which her head obscures their lips."
220px-Plato%27s_Stepchildren_kiss.jpg

It's not clear to me that their lips are touching, even in high resolution.

Attachments

• uhura-kirk-kiss.jpg
    uhura-kirk-kiss.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 50
I didn't make much progress with the etymology of snog, but uncovered something about snot... :cool:

I suspected it's a Germanic (OHG) word, but perhaps became corrupted by the Viking Invasion. Snorre in Old Norse needs no explanation:

Anglo-Saxon Scholar said:
Gomol snoterost, fyrngearum frod, se þe ær feala gebideð.

An old person is wisest, sage with years, that are experienced much.

Or, IMO, more idiomatically: Oldie wise, many years experienced, that all felt and endured.

Clearly, Tolkien was playing an elaborate Anglo-Saxon joke with the name "Frodo" in "Lord of the Rings". :D

Onwald mæg wel reccean se þe ægðer ge hiene habban con ge wiðwinnan.

He wields power well who can both hold and resist it.

https://twitter.com/OEWisdom

Anyhoo, Star Trek Stamps dropped through the letterbox today. And splendid they are. A significant investment for the Future, one feels. Will be worth Millions at Sotheby's in years to come (If kept pristine, and in original packaging).

Attachments

• Star Trek Captains 2.jpg
    Star Trek Captains 2.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Anyhoo, Star Trek Stamps dropped through the letterbox today. And splendid they are. A significant investment for the Future, one feels. Will be worth Millions at Sotheby's in years to come (If kept pristine, and in original packaging).
I hate to disillusion you, Steve, but sheets of stamps which are themed are sold in their thousands.

They are hardly ever worth anything significant unless, of course, they contain a rare stamp error.

In common with most boys in the 1950s, I had a stamp collection.

They say that philately will get you nowhere, and this turned out to be the case for me!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Stamp collecting, tackety boots and 2 bob Airfix kits - happy days! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.