What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know I yak on about 1729 as being extremely interesting. :)

Reason is it comes back to my old 4D buddy Felix Klein. And his j-invariant:

j-invariant - Wikipedia

163 is also extremely interesting as the complex power of the exponential number e. The largest Heegner number.

Regardless, we have the current SI units:

The seven defining constants of the SI are:

the caesium hyperfine frequency DeltanuCs;
the speed of light in vacuum c;
the Planck constant h;
the elementary charge e;
the Boltzmann constant k;
the Avogadro constant NA; and
the luminous efficacy of a defined visible radiation Kcd.

I don't think there is any escaping Time as being a big contender as fundamental. Charge seems to be a player too:

tenfold

The Planck constant links it to the correct Quantum Theory.

You guys know I like Information Theory too. Well, that involves Time too. So Time is definitely a contender. :D

I'm not sure. Just laying out the issue:

I was in a muddle about the SI system. The SI base units are:

s, second, time
m, metre, length
kg, kilogram , mass
A, ampere, electric current
K, kelvin, thermodynamic temperature
mol, mole, amount of substance
cd, candela, luminous intensity

With combinations of those you can build everything else using equations.

s, second, time. We know what that is.
m, metre, length. That one is straightforward too. Though I still think in similar yards. 22 yards is the length of a cricket pitch.
kg, kilogram , mass. A bag of sugar.
A, ampere, electric current. Can also be defined as the unit of charge, the Coulomb per second.

(I didn't know this but a 1F capacitor given a coulomb of charge is raised 1 volt. An AA battery delivers about 5000 coulombs in its life. And an average lightning bolt is 15 coulombs. An Electron is 1.6 X 10^ -19 Coulombs. )

K, kelvin, thermodynamic temperature. OK with that one. Freezing point of water is 273K. We call it 0C Celsius. 32F in America.

mol, mole, amount of substance. 6X 10^23 atoms in a gram of Hydrogen. Dimensionless.
cd, candela, luminous intensity. Apparently a candle at 1 foot. Bit old-fashioned.

Yes, the last two are useful in certain subjects but not really fundamental.

Last edited:
Just waiting for Flat Universe..

It always amazes me - you have to pick one.. just because they are incompatible, there could be a way that all are correct and equally valid :D ;) #woodenspoon

The notion of mutually exclusive theories often comes from the entrenched physicists whose grants are depending on it..

If you follow the money, most Physics these days goes with String Theory. 90% of the funding. Standard Model is looking a bit weak on Quantum Gravity.

But, possibly because the Financiers have no idea what is going on. :D

They, after all, are just seeking a profit. TBH, I really don't buy 10 (String Theory) or 26 (Bosonic String Theory) dimensions.

But time will tell.

That was interesting. I am horribly weak on matrices though. Trace, Determinant, Eigenvectors and Eigenvalues. Unitary matrix means it has a sort of self-symmetry, where it comes out at 1 under certain multiplications. The two matrices mentioned are 3X3 and describe weak interactions or flavour changing in neutrinos and quarks..

John Baez discusses the Higgs here:

Problems with the Standard Model Higgs | Azimuth

Something to do with the square of the Higgs mass is important. I saw that squared mass stuff in Susskind's string theory lectures. A Regge Trajectory.

Lecture 1 | String Theory and M-Theory - YouTube

Regge theory - Wikipedia

I'll reread the Standard Model Baez link and see if it sinks in. :D

Last edited:
Well, I spent most of the day on it.

Frankly, the whole thing is baffling. :D

I thought the Planck Length and the Planck Mass were Quantum Stuff. Turns out they are a curious mixture of Quantum and Classical Newtonian Gravity. Variables include e, h(bar) and c. And Mr. Newton's classical Gravitational Constant G.

Hierarchy problem - Wikipedia

I seriously think my efforts would be better directed at Flat-horse racing and Football than this Physics Lark.

To misquote a misquotation: "It's physics, Steve, but not as we know it"!

Attachments

• Misquote.jpg
    Misquote.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 73
Status
Not open for further replies.