What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there's a bit of artistic licence going on there!

Sometimes a knowledge of Newtonian dynamics can take the edge off a ripping yarn! :D

843161d1589223523-universe-expanding-mission-mars-jpg

Exactly. Much as I fear for those Astronauts in the picture, you just gotta hope for the best. :D

Not many people know this, but my English Dad rocked up as an Offficer with the Scottish 51st. Highland Division in 1938. He admitted he had trouble understanding most of them at first. But had many great adventures with them. And got Home in 1945.

TBH, I have never liked "God save our Gracious Queen" as a tune. Much as I admire Her Majesty. Give me "Flower of Scotland" any day: YouTube

Weird, huh. :confused:

Give me "Flower of Scotland" any day
Written by Roy Williamson of The Corries who was sadly lost to us at the early age of 54. Roy Williamson - Wikipedia

I was a big fan of the Corries and attended many of their rousing concerts back in the 70s. Any English in the audience had to have thick skins, but the Corries did not shy away from self-deprecation! YouTube

There's an illustrated list of Patrick Moore's fantastic fiction here: Patrick Moore

I regret that, as a boy, I only had the opportunity to read a few of them.

A real favourite of mine back then was the 'Lost Planet' series by Angus MacVicar. Authors : MacVicar, Angus : SFE : Science Fiction Encyclopedia

The BBC serialised the first two books on TV and I have a lasting memory of watching the second serialisation, which was of 'Return to the Lost Planet'.

Sadly, no trace of the programmes remains today.

Dontcha just love the art work! :cool:

Attachments

• The Lost Planet.jpg
    The Lost Planet.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Return to the Lost Planet.jpg
    Return to the Lost Planet.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 151
And I thought "Flower of Scotland" was an auld tune! :)

Just for fun, below is a photo of my Patrick Moore pocket guide to the stars.Looking for doubles is an interesting use of a telescope. Patrick mentions you can build your own cheap telescope out of spectacle lenses. But they have terrible colour fringes. You need achromat lenses built from multiple glass layers. Some interesting maths there. Not often you see a quadratic, cubic and quartic in the wild!

Just like a Troll. My friend thought we were just going for a walk in the woods near Oslo, but I was Troll-hunting!

843371d1589295655-universe-expanding-trollwoods-jpg

Ray Bradbury says if you tell children about mythological things like "The Great Pumpkin" in the Peanuts cartoon, you better be able to get them to turn up. He's also more interested in the ordinary people than the technology:
AUDIO: Bradbury 13 – “Bradbury on Bradbury” | Ghost Radio

My brother frequently gets cross with me: "YOU live on ANOTHER PLANET, brother!"

To which I think to myself: ""And dark they were, and Golden Eyed."

He'd never get it. :D

Attachments

• Achromat Lens.jpg
    Achromat Lens.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Chromatic abberation in lenses.JPG
    Chromatic abberation in lenses.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Patrick Moore. The Observer's Book of Astronomy..JPG
    Patrick Moore. The Observer's Book of Astronomy..JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 33
Hi Tobydog!

You've inspired me to look into the 'Project' books.

Seems they were sponsored by the Dairy Industry.

They sure knew how to milk the profits! :D

I now know how to make a 'Yogga Plonk', a 'Pipalot' and am currently shaking my 'Maracas' as I type! ;)

Attachments

• Project Manual Cover.jpg
    Project Manual Cover.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Project Manual Contents.jpg
    Project Manual Contents.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 31
I was reading the Ladybird title "Learning with Mother Vol. 5".

Some very definite statements in there, like half your child's brightness is determined by age 4 1/2 by interesting activities and stimulation. Looking after pets, making things, play and games with other children... TBH, I was never short of interesting toys and reading. My mother had me playing Canasta at ten with her to a quite competitive level,,, :D

There is a funny scene in "The man who shot Liberty Valance" where lawyer Rance asks Hallie to read from a law book. She gets cross and frustrated before admitting she never had the schoolin' to learn to read. Rance says she'll be reading in NO TIME, a smart girl like her.

Quantum Field Theory has been of interest to me lately. Not too hard. Just a set of harmonic oscillators.
John Baez: The Most Enlightening Set of Names
harmonic

Also the Gaussian:
John Baez: Perhaps the nicest Gaussian of all

642767d1509252253-suppose-shallow-vs-steep-argument-gaussian-transform-png

One of the great transforms, applicable to photons and audio filters and antennas. It's own inverse.

Wide-ranging conversations with our local neighbourhood high-functioning autistic today.

Daniel (who was insistent on delivering free HEINZ BIG SOUP to our house, for Gratis...) and I discussed French Impressionism:

843007d1589194376-universe-expanding-starry-night-vincent-van-gogh-png

God bless my soul, I have visited Vincent's asylum in St. Remy, Provence. You know, the Sunflowers, the Chairs an' all that, the distant Luberon Mountains. Who could not love Vincent Van Gogh's view of the World? :)

I am having severe problems with Marcus du Sautoy right now:

840789d1588640162-universe-expanding-3-fold-symmetry-jpg

Just when I seem to be getting a grip on Quantum Field Theory. Just a bunch of harmonic oscillators, an' all that. It goes weird!! :eek:

I can get the Physics Half-Life Joke that when I opened the 100ug pot of Uranium 235 I bought 4.7 Billion Years ago, it only had half the amount expected. VV Funny. :D

Half-lives actually depend on circumstances: How to Change Nuclear Decay Rates

It gets even worse in further Quantum Theory: As long as you observe a radioactive decay, it doesn't happen: Quantum Zeno effect - Wikipedia

Nearest I have to understanding this weirdness, is Santa Claus can visit 1 Billion Children's Chimneys at the same time. AS LONG AS HE IS UNOBSERVED. One child who stays awake can wreck all this. Because they will collapse the wave function to a single chimney.

I give up. :confused:

Watch history unfold as NASA and SpaceX launch astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley to the International Space Station. This mission marks the first time since the retirement of the space shuttle in 2011 that humans will fly to the space station from U.S. soil.

Targeted launch time is 4.33pm EDT (9.33pm BST). We could see the rocket flying over the UK 15 minutes later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.