Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

What is the Universe expanding into..
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Do you think there was anything before the big bang?
I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang 38 12.14%
I think something existed before the Big Bang 125 39.94%
I don't think the big bang happened 38 12.14%
I think the universe is part of a mutiverse 147 46.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Old Today, 03:42 PM   #7441
mchambin is offline mchambin  France
diyAudio Member

You are pulling my leg with this perpetual motion story, right ?
Old Today, 03:51 PM   #7442
Disco-Pete is online now Disco-Pete
diyAudio Member

There's no perpetual motion involved here at all. You simply seem unable to grasp this very simple concept. The difficulty is/was in designing the circuit that can vary the real time production of hydrogen via electrolysis. That's what's actually been invented. Everything else remains unchanged.
Old Today, 04:33 PM   #7443
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Europe
diyAudio Member

This is not feasible without adding some additional energy source in there. Why? Because it takes 50 kWh of electricity to produce 40 kWh of hydrogen energy - so a short fall of 20%.

Now, if you tell me you will set such a system up, but add some batteries and/or a small gasoline powered motor and/or solar panels make up the difference, then I am with you. And that would be a good system in principle because for a 100 kW auto output at the wheels, you'd only need a 20 kW gasoline engine, so a big saving on emissions.
Old Today, 04:48 PM   #7444
system7 is online now system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Diesel-Electric Locomotives have an engine connected to an electric generator which then powers motors on the wheels.

This is done because a train needs torque to pull away, which would otherwise need an elaborate gearbox and clutch. They are 80% efficient and low maintenance.

Adding an intermediate hydrogen stage in some fashion would probably be equally lossy.

Problem with hydrogen is it's hard to store in a compact volume. Not ideal for cars.
Old Today, 05:26 PM   #7445
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
Problem with hydrogen is it's hard to store in a compact volume. Not ideal for cars.
That problem may be partly solved with Pete's "hydrogen on demand" technology!

Hydrogen Generators for Cars and Trucks | Hydrogen Cars Now

Quote:
The idea behind onboard hydrogen generators for cars and trucks is that they use electricity provided by the car to electrolyze a small amount of water and inject the resulting hydrogen and oxygen gases into the vehicle’s intake system. The hydrogen and oxygen displace some of the fossil fuels in the cylinders, help the gasoline or diesel fuel to burn more efficiently, increase power and decrease pollutants coming out the tailpipe.
The technology, if proved to work as well as some vendors suggest, will increase gasoline mileage and reduce emissions.

The "hydrogen on demand" technology is better described as "hydrogen boosting technology".

You still need gasoline!

Last edited by Galu; Today at 05:34 PM. Reason: rewording
Old Today, 05:27 PM   #7446
boswald is offline boswald  United States
diyAudio Member

The transmission may approach 80%(gen eff x motor eff), but the diesel is only 37-39% efficient(okay, let's dream about 50%, doesn't change much).

The electrical transmission is mechanically simpler and much more durable, shows someone was using their bean.

Disco-pete will have to calculate engine efficiency x aternator eff x electrolysis eff x motor eff x dirvetrain eff (with a side calc for what portion the battery's eff affects).

Unfortunately, there is no free lunch- if I give you a sammich, and don't charge you, I have paid for it.

Free Shipping!! No, shipping included.
  Reply to this post

What is the Universe expanding into..Hide this!Advertise here!