What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"...only logic and mathematics can lead to...," which appears contrary. It seems to me that scientific theory, logic, mathematics, and experiment are all tools used in varying order to acquire scientific knowledge and scientific fact. I hope this isn't viewed as nitpicking. On this subject I believe these distinctions and omissions are important.

Yes, to me there is a clear distinction between operational knowledge (in science) and fundamental knowledge (in logic and mathematics).
It is important not to confuse the two, if only because assuming that a scientific theory is fundamentally correct will quickly form a prejudice
against novel information.

Last edited:
That makes sense to me, though I never sought to formalize the distinction in that way.
In your view, would there be a third classification, perhaps called "practical knowledge," neither scientific, logical, or mathematical?

You could look at it that way. I'd personally view practical knowledge as more of a subset of scientific knowledge, since both are essentially empirical. Perhaps practical knowledge could be seen as unformed scientific knowledge.

Interesting isn't it..the idea of no beginning or end. (is that oblivion, repetition, evolving and ever changing or stagnation) infinite possibilities (no rules)..Err :D

The only "other" thing I can think of that has no beginning or end is something that doesn't exist..
(if it has no beginning it can't have an end)

Regards
M. Gregg

Pi and e nominate themselves into existence simply
by virtue of being true without need for existence.
I'm sure the universe exists for much the same root
cause. It couldn't be any other way, therefore it is.

Doesn't take much of a seed to set up a damn complex fractal.
From where you are stuck in it, might look awfully random.
Yet still might appear that there are some local rules too...

The connection of what we can see to to the actual root rule
that causes it all may be incredibly unintuitive. Can we observe
enough of the pattern to deduce the parts we cannot see?
Or do we need to focus on truth without regard to our limited
power to confirm every irrelevant intangible consequence that
might forever exist outside our experience.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Pi and e nominate themselves into existence simply
by virtue of being true without need for existence.
I'm sure the universe exists for much the same root
cause. It couldn't be any other way, therefore it is.

The problem is the "truth" part...
Is this Multiversal truth? << But I have to admit its got to be part of the truth because it exists.

:)So as you say it could be part of the "fractal" even if the fractal was a multiverse. However Fractal rules can be quite simple and normally repetitive. It leaves the issue of the energy to create the fractal and the mass in it. Which is a possible "0"..:D
A quick search shows this..

Fractal Universe

This is the thing that bugs me! If we had contact with "Aliens" we might find out if there are any actual truths..ie if their maths represented and supported ours. What if we are alone? Imagine just for a moment there was nothing (no life) even in the Multiverse...its hard to believe isn't it?
However the universe is not like a pond..ie life everywhere you look! (why?) Because distance is relative to size.. :D

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
A stupid question..

What are your thoughts on perception of time and age..
Is a year still a year when you are 100?

Regards
M. Gregg
I suggest that the question wrongly equates what many claim are distinct senses of time. On the one hand you have time in a external, dated sense (e.g. what Plato calls time as the measure of motion, in this case the revolution of the earth around the sun), while on the other hand there is time in an internal, tensed sense (i.e. the sense of now, as a kind of 'floating signifier' that is bounded by the past and the future). In its external, dated sense, a year is a year is a year, while in its internal, tensed sense a year can seem to take forever to a 10 year old child, while to a 50+ adult, a year can seem to fly by before one knows it.

I suggest that these are very different senses of time and the apparent paradoxes and such associated with this kind of question come from mistakenly equating or confusing these otherwise distinct senses.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
In its external, dated sense, a year is a year is a year, while in its internal, tensed sense a year can seem to take forever to a 10 year old child, while to a 50+ adult, a year can seem to fly by before one knows it.

I suggest that these are very different senses of time and the apparent paradoxes and such associated with this kind of question come from mistakenly equating or confusing these otherwise distinct senses.

The thought behind this is, is this significant only to living things?
The point being...like the old fables, time in Olympus was but a bink of an eye while here on earth its a lifetime..ie how is time relevant to the universe or beyond. Are things really unfolding in time or is something else happening that we perceive as time. (Does time require energy? if the total energy in the universe was "0").

How fast would time be to something that has existed for ever? LOL its all over before its started..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
A stupid question..

What are your thoughts on perception of time and age..
Is a year still a year when you are 100?

Regards
M. Gregg

In relation to life on earth I presume. ...It's very short, and if you're unlucky (or lucky) enough to make @ 100, then a year is still a year.
It just don't change anything because you make it or don't.

R.I.P. Robin (63)

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
strange... I had the same perception of time when I was a kid.. since then several decades went into thin air... ;)

so time must be relative ... LOL

Entropy...

In the link I posted (post #1013)I watched the first part and thought (Relativity again). However I watched the second half and found it much more interesting linked to the Arrow of time and the entropy in the universe.

The question would be if time is linked to entropy and the big bang, then does time exist outside the universe?

Big assumption Entropy needs energy? (or change in energy) ie there would be a starting point and possibly an end..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
For fun; read some of the comments. ...Like: Try showing up late for work, and see if time is an illusion.

I think the idea is time is in one direction and exists because of entropy.
The whole point would be that if time was an illusion what does it say about life? (surly the two are linked) can you have life without time?
(Past present future)

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Entropy...
The entropy in my head did increase over that period, so that could be an explanation...

But a relation between time and entropy? If you'd suggested a relation between energy and entropy I guess I could agree.

I perceive time as one-directional, but that could well be because of the image of reality that is presented to me.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
In the Utube video,

It says that the Arrow of time (Direction) was set at the moment of the big bang. The idea seems to be that everything is moving away from the big bang and time is a result of this linked to the entropy within the universe.

Ie time is a series of moments during the expansion of the universe.

Would this mean no big bang, no expansion, no time?
Ie time (now) is a construct like past and future.

I might have to watch it again to make sure I have the right Idea..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Status
Not open for further replies.