Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

What is the Universe expanding into..
What is the Universe expanding into..
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Do you think there was anything before the big bang?
I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang 23 9.50%
I think something existed before the Big Bang 100 41.32%
I don't think the big bang happened 27 11.16%
I think the universe is part of a mutiverse 117 48.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old Today, 12:48 AM   #4641
Discopete is online now Discopete  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
Quasars are among the brightest objects in the universe - luminous, active galactic nuclei powered by supermassive black holes that are actively feeding on nearby material.

Recently, scientists have found the most distant quasar yet known, residing about 13 billion light-years from Earth. They estimate that this particular quasar's seriously supermassive black hole ingests an amount of mass equivalent to 25 Suns every year.

The first quasar ever to be identified is 3C 273, which is one of the closest quasars to us at a mere 2.5 billion light-years away. It was discovered in the 1960s.
See, there's never enough information in a simple google search. For example, where pray tell is this apparent accretion coming from? Shall I hazard a guess and assume(hopefully not as Benny Hill might), that it's the matter accumulating due to the gravitational pull of the black hole? If so, how is it that the black hole is not by the same properties preventing this radiation from escaping? Not even light escapes, right? Very puzzling
Old Today, 01:11 AM   #4642
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Remember the event horizon, Pete?

Light canot escape from inside the event horizon, but the radiation from the accretion disc is emitted outside the event horizon.

Event Horizon | COSMOS

But, yes, the accretion disc is matter accumulating due to the gravitational pull of the supermassive black hole.
Old Today, 01:20 AM   #4643
diyAudio Member

Oh for Pete's sake of course! Pure logic.
Old Today, 05:06 AM   #4644
MITsound is offline MITsound  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Just throwing it out there, and other random thoughts

What if an adjacent bubble universe intercepted ours, and the resultant stresses resulted in a Big Bang, strewing undestroyed remnant matter everywhere? It could easily not have the same make up as that of our newer universe, and so not interact with our matter well at all. Remnant characteristics could be compressed by the impact of intersection with ours into crushed dimensions. I believe it could retain some foreign laws of its prior nature . It may be so hard to detect due to this. It could be nearly invisible to us, and therefore understood to be dark matter. Only able to weakly be detected as gravity, in a weaker form, since it doesn't have an identical god particle in its remnants.
Couldn't it's scattered gravity pull be from an infinitely large point we are in (since it had no frame of reference, the size of its point is moot, relative to itself). And could this not exert an omnidirectional pull on our universe, constantly driving an accelerating expansion?

You can tell because I'm not writing equations, and using words in this that I'm not a physicist. But I'm curious nonetheless. There doesn't seem to be much available in quick search engines while these concepts were fresh to me.
I hope no one is offended at the time it took to read this.

Last edited by MITsound; Today at 05:12 AM.
Old Today, 05:24 AM   #4645
diyAudio Member

Well I certainly am not in any position to be offended by any perspective presented here
  Reply to this post

What is the Universe expanding into..Hide this!Advertise here!