What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Receipt please!?

//
Sure, it's very basic and intuitive.
1) pre-heat oven to 380F
2) sear said shanks in fry pan on stove top, then set in large roasting pan.

3) a few carrots, couple sticks of celery, a red bell pepper, a large cooking onion, three average size cloves of fresh garlic, about ten mushrooms, nicely arranged throughout and around the shanks.

4) 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, 1 heaping tablespoon Hungarian paprika, about four or five sprigs of fresh rosemary, about the same amount of fresh basil, salt as you see fit.
5) about a litre of V8 juice poured in first finished with water until the shanks are visibly immersed about 2/3 in liquid.

6) cook covered for anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hrs, checking in about a good hour to baste.
7) with your fav: pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.
8) celebrate with fav libation

:yummy:

And, a few Cosmic Brownies to follow? :yummy:

Attachments

• Cosmic Brownies.png
    Cosmic Brownies.png
    388.1 KB · Views: 65
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
You mean that the linear velocity (v) at the equator can approach the speed of light.

v = r ω (where r = the radius of the star and ω is its angular velocity).

I've seen one example of the linear velocity of a neutron star at its equator - 70,000 km per second or approximately 24% of the speed of light.

Yes, that’s the same figure I am aware of. Keep in mind this thing is only a few 10’s of km in diameter :O

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'de like to know more, I do not see how spinning can do something to the light bending; So far in my understanding, only comes in, the mass.

Steven Hawking described spacetime in the vicinity of a BH as being ‘foamy’. The curvature is so great and I gather not particularly ‘smooth’ so photons passing nearby are going to be bent and curved all over the place.

For the Sneppen paper, a more prosaic example to help visualize it would be when you look down a plug hole as water is draining. You often get a ring of light that changed in shape and size as it is reflected off the surface of the water.

There is mounting evidence that filaments of dark matter connect galaxies and galactic clusters together like a vast, cosmic web.

It is conjectured that hydrogen flows along these strands, feeding into the galaxies.

Earlier this year astronomers finally imaged the faint emission from diffuse hydrogen in intergalactic space, providing the strongest indirect evidence yet for the existence of dark matter filaments.

Groundbreaking New Images of Cosmic Web Strands Revealed by Astronomers

Now, astronomers have suggested that filaments of dark matter are partly responsible for the gravitational lensing that produces two identical images of a distant galaxy known as Hamilton's object.

Mystery solved! Bizarre Hubble double galaxy caused by 'ripple' in space | Space

Attachments

• hydrogen pathways in blue.jpg
    hydrogen pathways in blue.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Hamilton's Object.jpg
    Hamilton's Object.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 87
Atomic clocks run more slowly in the presence of a gravity field

I'd question that statement. My understanding is the clocks run more slowly further down the Gravity POTENTIAL. A subtle difference.

What Albert Sneppen seems to suggest is that spinning Black Holes impart Angular Momentum to nearby objects, especially when near the event horizon.

This is hard to grasp in terms of a classical theory of fields in Space-Time. The edge going away from you behaves differently from the edge coming towards you in bending light.

We now have straightforward Gravitation attraction, Tidal Forces and Spinning Forces to conceive. :confused:

I don't find the non-spinning Black Hole hard.

842736d1589123914-universe-expanding-black-hole-alain-jpg

Clearly just some sort of angle-preserving Conformal Transformation:

894342d1605660328-universe-expanding-orrery-cafe-ryde-steet-iow-png

A 100% reflecting sphere isn't really much different from a 100% absorbing sphere. Just inverses of each other, one feels.

Conformal mappings work in Electrostatics too:

894343d1605660328-universe-expanding-electric-dipole-conformal-transformation-png

No, it's the spin component that I am finding difficult. Must be a Lorentz transform thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.