What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I now want to get a grip on the RATE of Expansion. Apparently the space between us and approaching Andromeda is expanding at an enormous 70km/s per MegaParsec.
It is worth stresing that 70km/s/pc is a measure of speed per unit distance.

The Universe is expanding, but the expansion doesn't have a speed; it has a speed per unit distance which is equivalent to an inverse time. (v = d/t, so v/d = 1/t).

If you take the inverse of the expansion rate, you can calculate the "time" of the expansion of the Universe. The answer is approximately 13.8 billion years, which just happens to be the age of the Universe.

Are what she presented proven conclusive facts?
I thought that by now you would have understood that nothing is yet absolutely proven or conclusive when it comes to cosmology! ;)

However, I remain confident of the ability of the scientific method to build upon our knowledge of the Universe.

Attachments

• Scientific Method.png
    Scientific Method.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 70

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I would regard an embedding space as a mathematical construct and not as an "entity".

Apparently, the simplest way of creating a geometrically curved spacetime is to embed a curved surface (like a sphere) in a flat space (like a box).

Don't even ask about the complicated creations! :eek:

OK. But the she shows how one universe is bumping into an other. So there is an other entity "What" (... is the universe expanding into).

//

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I thought that by now you would have understood that nothing is yet absolutely proven or conclusive when it comes to cosmology! ;)

However, I remain confident of the ability of the scientific method to build upon our knowledge of the Universe.
I'm okay with confidence until conjecture evolves into fact with no transitional intermediary fossil record.

Ooops, wrong thread.

er..I'm okay with confident conjecture until it magically morphs into fact as a means to support and maintain previously arrived at conjecture.

If we follow the path of historic, scientific, unequivocal factual discovery, how far back in the chain would a solid link be missing?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
That is not happening.

That is not the scientific method.

There is no conspiracy.
I'm not questioning the scientific method, just the result.

No conspiracy, just...an understanding.

Not happening? We can't explain the behavior of gravity within galaxies so there has to be something to affirm our established theory..hmmm..let's see...I know, it's...dddark matter! That's it, yup, simple, done. NEXT

I honestly don't mean to be disrespectful but it seems our intelligence is being insulted.

Not happening? We can't explain the behavior of gravity within galaxies so there has to be something to affirm our established theory..hmmm..let's see...I know, it's...dddark matter! That's it, yup, simple, done. NEXT

I honestly don't mean to be disrespectful but it seems our intelligence is being insulted.
At the moment, the majority of physicists prefer to accept the possibility of the existence of dark matter rather than to accept that general relativity could be wrong.

General relativity has passed many observational tests and is currently our best theory of gravity.

I don't mean that general relativity is perfect, it's simply that no alternative theory comes close to explaining the observations we make, including the observation that that most of the gravitating matter in the universe is not "normal".

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
NASA amazes me sometimes! :rolleyes:

Just announced TWO missions to Venus in the next ten years.... :confused:

Hotter than Hell, but NASA is investing $1000M dollars on this.

Really, what a waste of time...

Venus: Nasa announces two new missions - BBC News

Just pay the money direct into my bank account. You won't notice the difference. :D

Strange indeed. I’d have thought Enceladus would have been a better objective since there’s all that talk about an ocean beneath the crust and potentially organisms.

NASA amazes me sometimes! :rolleyes:

Just announced TWO missions to Venus in the next ten years.... :confused:

Really, what a waste of time...
The shimmering, cloud-covered planet of Venus conceals a wondrous secret: the strikingly beautiful yet deadly world of Amtor. In Amtor, cities of immortal beings flourish in giant trees reaching thousands of feet into the sky; ferocious beasts stalk the wilderness below; rare flashes of sunlight precipitate devastating storms; and the inhabitants believe their world is saucer-shaped with a fiery centre and an icy rim.

Attachments

• Amtor.jpg
    Amtor.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 138
Status
Not open for further replies.