What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the above BBC News link, it is not yet known what quantity (if any) of the asteroid dust has been collected. Scientists hope to collect 60 - 1,000g.

Interestingly, they're going to spin the probe on its axis, with collection arm extended, to ascertain if a mass of material has, indeed, been collected. If an increased amount of torque is required to spin the probe compared to before, they will know that the mass of the probe has increased!

If nothing has been collected, they intend to go in for a second attempt.

I'm looking out for some images today, but it won't be until 2023 before any material collected will be returned to Earth.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with 40 b/s. Just that you have to wait for the result:

Information theory - Wikipedia
Yeah, no doubt the first things sent are a few byte values that mean "Task executed. Sensors say we touched down." Okay a little more than that, speed at several points, accelerometer values on "landing" and such.

I wanna see pics, and at that rate they'll take a while.

If it's like the images of their models, it's essentially sandpaper, random pixels, and you can't do much (lossless) compression on that.

As an engineer I get it, there's a lot of tradeoffs in the design of such things. They could have a higher data rate with a more powerful transmitter and/or a bigger antenna but it would be heavier and they'd have to reduce the mass and electric power available for other things, it's cheaper to store pics and send data back on the return trip, bla bla bla.

My father always said that oil was the best engineer in the world.

He should know, as he serviced the engines on Spitfires!

Attachments

• The Mighty Merlin.jpg
    The Mighty Merlin.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 61
If I had to name the great aircraft of WW2, I might name the Mitsubishi Zero, The ME109. The Focke Wolf. The borrowed American Mustang. Of course the Glamour Boy was the Spitfire.

But the solid workhorse was the Hawker Hurircane:

3 Hawker Hurricanes @ Old Warden in HD - YouTube

It's what we call a Gun-Platform. If the Enemy is coming at you, you just need better guns. Speed doesn't come into it. Shot down more Enemy planes than anything. :D

I was enable to find worthwhile information about space probe data transmission.
All there is, nowadays, left on internet is junk from auto proclaimed expert that BS at nausea with the poor knowledge they have on telecomunication, swamped with abbreviations and internet blah blah that is totally off this topic and only shows they don' t know what they are talking about.
Needless to say, I am mad to see how internet has become more and ever, ultimate technical junk.
By any chance, do you know, where there is worthwhile information on internet about space probe data transmission ? It seems, it has disappeared drawn in junk information.

The good news, Steve, is that Airfix is re-releasing the vintage 1:24 scale kit of the Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 - available now to pre-order!

During the Battle of Britain, the average strength of fighter command was 1,326 Hurricanes compared to 957 Spitfires.

Attachments

• Hurricane Mk1.jpg
    Hurricane Mk1.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 67
We've got several model shops in Portsmouth and a model ship re-enactment club which had its base at the Royal Marines Museum when I worked there.

Welcome to Portsmouth & District Model Power Boat Club

Big 4 foot long models of all sorts of ships. Radio controlled and even had guns that went bang. We had all sorts of real second world war guns that the curator would let the public play with on occasion too. The German stuff was better technically, but harder to maintain in the field apparently. Lugers, machine guns, rifles and grenades. German Binoculars were way better than the allied stuff too.

I found some stuff about Voyager and NASA's radio network:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20170818-voyager-inside-the-worlds-greatest-space-mission

About the Deep Space Network | NASA

Last edited:
The Riverside Museum of Transport and Travel in Glasgow is free and currently open for business if you pre-book.

Not just ships, but everything from skateboards to locomotives is on show!

Attachments

• Riverside Museum Glasgow.jpg
    Riverside Museum Glasgow.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 131
  • Riverside Museum Old Glasgow Street.jpg
    Riverside Museum Old Glasgow Street.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 58
We are spoiled in Portsmouth. I used to be Tour Guide on Warrior and Victory. The Naval dockyard is amazing, but I did the real thing with Type 45 Destroyers last year too. Scary monsters, they are. Got to go on board a few times, along with Type 23s. Billion pounds a pop. I wouldn't take one on, some of the weapons are awful nasty things.

Just before lockdown I had a fantastic day at the Science Museum:

Flight | Science Museum

Apollo Moon lander, Soyuz and Sputnik in Space. The Xerox Parc computer which had a mouse. The Flight gallery is knockout too. Hurricanes and Spitfires. Another amazing London freebie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.