What is the ideal way to record audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my area (GTA...Greater Toronto Area) there is a guy that plays really good.

I don't like sitting with my back to the band...I agree that I like to see the band playing.

My computer has speakers on either side of the monitor...in front of me.

Surround (IMHO) is for movies where the idea is to imagine you are "in" the movie.

(Yes, you could imagine you are at a concert as well)

:)

It is hard to really understand your question. Let me take a stab at it.

Almost all music is recorded as if you are facing the stage. Some limited newer recordings do have discrete ambiance channels, but none of my old stuff does. All my CD's are stereo or mono. ( CD's only have two data tracks)

Most modern movies have ambient or special effects for rear channels. The old plane flying over your head. They are INTENDED for a surround system. Music is normally INTENDED for a stereo system. A BD can have as many as 9 audio tracks. Very few do.

In my car, I can't stand rear channels playing the same as the fronts. Some like it, I do not. I want the same front sound-stage as I get at home.

How many ears has nothing to do with how many channels we have in a system. How many play back channels is related to how many were recorded.

Surround is awesome, even if it's for a concert as you get the ambiance of the hall much better.

I think it is because recording and listening surround coming from recording and listening to stereo is a much larger jump in cost and complexity of setup than we did when going from Mono to Stereo.

Surround is top priority for me, and if that isn't available, I listen to hi-res audio in stereo. It's just a totally new experience, be it for movies or for music, very immersive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.