Burning time for the Mundorf Silver Gold Oil 2.2uf input cap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have not tried the silver-gold oil ones, but the plain supreme, the silver-oil and the plain silver-gold ones needed about 50-60 hours to reveal their full potential.

I was pretty happy with them, until I tried the Russian FT3s...

Never looked back...

Last edited:
I just spotted this thread having over 10k in modoing hours without question
A Munforf Supreme, or Silver oil the latter even longer at least 100 hours just yo Start opening up. To fully refine 3-400 hours. Claims of 50 is way off.gor a regular Solen cap maybe.
Munforf double windings, take more time. Teflon caps even more.

Even if it was possible to 'burn-in' an input capacitor .......

How would one do it ?

The voltage across it would be in the region of 10's of mV at most.
What is the voltage rating of a Mundorf silver/gold/oil capacitor ? 150v ?

So the applied voltage is highly unlikely to have any effect on the capacitor.

Andy

Burning in does exist, but applies to listener.

Best is to play some music, loop it so it self repeats forever, and listen carefully to detect any sound difference, with all senses focused on it, and doing nothing else, which could unfocus listener and contaminate the experiment.

Burn in is achieved when listener can´t stand it any longer and confesses that, yes, he killed JFK or anything else ...... or the lighter admission that *now* he detects some difference, will everybody stop the d*mned test and give him a glass of water, some food, or just let him take a nap?

Why can't the supplier do something to justify the high price by running a music signal through the cap for 50 hours before they send it to you? They could then advertise 'pre-burned in - just solder into your amp and enjoy your music straight away'. :rolleyes:

Ah! Silly me - it could be the wrong type of music! If you are a classical fan, a cap burned in using heavy metal could create sonic disaster! :scratch:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.