Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

What are you reading?
What are you reading?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2013, 02:52 AM   #1
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

What are you reading?
Default What are you reading?

There is life after hours --- I usually have 5 to 10 books working at any time. I reserve the last couple hours of every day to tackle one or two. Here's the current list:

"Durer" by Fedja Anzelewsky -- anyone fascinated with sound is probably intrigued by Durer's work.

"Grant's Final Victory" -- Grant's memoirs in his final year, dying from throat cancer. This is a great, short book.

"Coolidge" -- keep cool with Calvin -- he had the personality of a sour pickle but pulled us out of the post WW-I Wilsonian depression.

"Monuments Men" -- I had a friend who was one of these folks --
Old 19th May 2013, 06:01 AM   #2
Richard Ellis is offline Richard Ellis  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
I consume my National Geograhics........I've had a lifetime membership since 1962. I read them cover to cover. I was intrigued by the latest issue dealing with bringing back to life recently extinct species......AKA "Jurassic Park". While not being able to revive such old species....the technology exists to bring back recently extinct species. I followed the account of the attempt to 'restore' such a species.....the newborn mammal lived for a few hours plagued by a malformed digestive system....fascinating account.

__________________________________________________ ______Rick.........
Old 19th May 2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Luke is offline Luke
diyAudio Member

Wool. Silo series of books is very good.
Old 20th May 2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
Account disabled at member's request

I'm rereading. Too lazy to search for new interesting books, if there's any - which I doubt. I only read crap diyAudio at night, just to give me nice nightmares. Anyway, some evenings I like to sit outside under the sun and read in good company (a beer and some stray cats). This is the stuff I'm rechecking right now.

The Gay Science - Nietzsche.
Junky- W. S. Burroughs
Heart of Darkness - J. Conrad (meh).
Old 20th May 2013, 02:04 PM   #5
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

What are you reading?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
Heart of Darkness - J. Conrad (meh).
Conrad spoke no English until he was in his 20's -- it shows through in that novel -- it makes you perspire. one of the most influential English writers of the 19th century. Narcissus is worth the time, although the web-nanny won't allow the full title.
Old 20th May 2013, 02:16 PM   #6
billyk is offline billyk  United States
diyAudio Member

What are you reading?
Read tech and business stuff for a living so when it comes to recreational reading I like fun stuff, escapist mostly. I am currently re-reading the Jim Butcher Dresden series. I read for about 20-30 minutes every night before I am and as a way to fall, asleep.
Old 20th May 2013, 02:21 PM   #7
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian.

I hadn't read anything for a while before that one, it reminded me how it was to devour a good book.

Chris
Old 20th May 2013, 03:15 PM   #8
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

working through Ott.
but that does not stop re-reading of other texts.
Old 20th May 2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Conrad spoke no English until he was in his 20's -- it shows through in that novel -- it makes you perspire. one of the most influential English writers of the 19th century. Narcissus is worth the time, although the web-nanny won't allow the full title.
Haven't read that one. I probably will. His prose sounds weird at times but he's OK. There's plenty of 'nigger' on the last Tarantino movie, web-nanny is foolish.
Old 20th May 2013, 09:33 PM   #10
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

What are you reading?
wow, same for me.

i do audiobooks because I (used to) have long commutes.
I just finished all the Dresden series (for the first time) a month ago.
Great stuff!

the magic theme was interesting, so I also read Lev Grossman's "The Magician" and "The Magician King". Different from Butcher and not quite as good, but enjoyed non-the-less.

Just finished Ace Atkin's "Wonderland". I'm a big fan (as in multiple re-reads) of Robert B. Parker's Spenser series and was pleased the estate named Atkins to continue the series after Parker's death. Atkins is not Parker (yet) but he ain't bad at all.

Just started Robert Crais novel "Suspect". I like his Elvis Cole/Joe Pike novels. This one is different (not a Cole/pike novel) but also good so far.

I've got to find some good sci-fi. Any good recommendations, especially involving time-travel?
Not the classics, I've read them already.

thanks,
mlloyd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyk View Post
Read tech and business stuff for a living so when it comes to recreational reading I like fun stuff, escapist mostly. I am currently re-reading the Jim Butcher Dresden series. I read for about 20-30 minutes every night before I am and as a way to fall, asleep.

What are you reading?Hide this!Advertise here!