What are you reading?

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
The triplet by Harari (at rest, fatigue of diagonal reading)
Aradia by Charles Leland (1899)
Gaspard de la Nuit by Aloysius Bertrand (written in 1836, translation)
Relating Religion by Jonathan Z. Smith (2004, not started reading yet)

currently:
The Cults of Aricia, excerpt, by Arthur Ernest Gordon (1934)

It's all about reality and illusion after all.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
No serious readers on this platform, given a month due. Not even an application note to highlite. Single mindness does not broaden horizons. No daring comparison, no break into further reason or understanding. A frail and meager platform to jump from. Nerdy? Obvious. Challencing? No way. Quitting, Almost.
Started with Jonathan Z. Smith - Relating Religion - about what we (want to) believe, being it faith or the appearances or the physical world, and what we want to rule and put a personal label unto. No reading, no imagination, no challange, no invention, no horizon.

No serious readers on this platform, given a month due. Not even an application note to highlite. Single mindness does not broaden horizons. No daring comparison, no break into further reason or understanding. A frail and meager platform to jump from. Nerdy? Obvious. Challenging? No way. Quitting, Almost.
...snip

That's throwing down a gauntlet... :D

Whatever I read, I must enjoy it. Otherwise it's a slow read. But films and TV shows get x40 more interest than books at this forum on a post count.

You made me think of Professor Kingsfield in The Paper Chase. (Movie)

A cold teacher of Law via The Socratic Method. Which is the alternative to Rhetoric, if you didn't know, which is employed by Politicians and Charlatans. :eek:

Professor Kingsfield said:
You teach yourselves the law, but I train your minds. You come in here with a skull full of mush; you leave thinking like a lawyer.

1L Student James Hart divides the class into three groups: those who have given up; those who are trying, but fear being called upon in class to respond to Kingsfield's questions; and the "upper echelon". As time goes on, he moves from the second classification to the third.

Currently reading Newish Maths and Physics on the WEB.

The Greatest Mathematician You've Never Heard Of | The Walrus
Quanta Magazine
Quanta Magazine

The 200 year old stuff tends to drive students away. Most kids give up on Science by 14.

O-M-G, as we say these days!

I have just done a tremendous piece of Dumpster Diving. :D

My neighbour ashed me to put his bin out tomorrow for collection.

Just a load of old books and films, he said. He's clearing the house. Thought I'd take a look before sending it all for incineration at the Portsmouth furnace. Which incidentally heats 20,000 houses locally.

Treasure trove. Look at what I found apart from a Royal Marines Concert Band on CD and endless interesting old war books.

Kenneth Grahame "The Wind in the Willows" in hardback. Well I've kept it. I'll be sending it to my great nephews in lockdown. :eek:

Attachments

• The Wind in the Willows. Kenneth Graham..JPG
    The Wind in the Willows. Kenneth Graham..JPG
    80 KB · Views: 179
  • Ratty, Badger and Toad..JPG
    Ratty, Badger and Toad..JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 172
I think I am turning into my father. I am considering purchasing "The Complete Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant" by Ulysses S. Grant.

Grant has been re-awakened, "Grant's Last Battle" was good.

There have been two good biographies of McKinley published in the last two years. His brief era was a "hinge" in American history.

T
Currently reading Newish Maths and Physics on the WEB.

You might enjoy "The Last Man Who Knew Everything" -- on Enrico Fermi

Last edited:
TBH, I have a second-hand connection to Enrico Fermi. :eek:

My primary Physics Professor at Bedford College, London was Professor Pincherle. TBH, the worst lecturer I have ever encountered in my life.

I had no idea what he was talking about in his broken English. But I developed a hatred for all instruments of mass-destruction during that time. I mostly deliberately messed about in all Nuclear experiments, hating everything about Radioactivity.

My career suffered, but I can look God straight in the eye when I die. :cool:

Grant has been re-awakened, "Grant's Last Battle" was good.

Ah yes, Grant who egged on Sherman when the battle at Atlanta concluded...& Sherman responded with "If the people raise a howl against my barbarity & cruelty, I will answer with, war is war & not popularity seeking."

Reading the accounts of such barbarity by either of the two generals is not my idea of a good read.

----------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.......

There have been two good biographies of McKinley published in the last two years. His brief era was a "hinge" in American history.

You might enjoy "The Last Man Who Knew Everything" -- on Enrico Fermi

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Strip for Violence (1953) by Ed Lacy

Semi-trash pulp novel by an odd author who swung many ways.

The cover has little or nothing to do with the story. Yeah clothes come off and people wake-up together in bed, but odds are 1 in 3. OTOH the runt judo-throws the big lunk every time.

Attachments

• 51TqkNqtNLL.jpg
    51TqkNqtNLL.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 215
The more you read, the easier it gets, IMO.

Ed Lacy is an interesting writer. I shall look out for him.

850491d1591473909-reading-51tqknqtnll-jpg

Ed Lacy’s first three mysteries The Woman Aroused (Avon, 1951), Sin in Their Blood (Eton, 1952), and Strip for Violence (Avon, 1953) launched his paperback career. Such lurid titles (“Yes, the title made me grit my teeth, too,” he declared) and the sexy cover art don’t do these books much justice. Much akin to Charles Williams’ “Girl” trilogy brought out by Gold Medal in the early 1950s, these slim Lacy novels in their racy wraps are well written and solidly plotted.

ED LACY: A Profile, by Ed Lynskey

I am a bit highbrow at the moment. T.S. Eliot poetry I found in the street. Never read poetry before unless Shakespeare counts.

You know him already:

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper

(The Hollow Men 1925)

Amazingly good. Takes you to a quiet place..