What are you reading?

Childhood's End - Author C. Clarke

Dusted off an old book and got my son reading Arthur C. Clarke's
"Childhood's End"

Trapped at home, he's reading most of the time. Wasn't too keen on it at first but he's right into it now.

Can't say I've ever read about Edison but he sounds like an interesting character. His relationship with his onetime collaborator Tesla reminds be of the paleontologists Cope and Marsh. Both brilliant and fierce rivals. We have a statue of Tesla in Niagara Falls.

Attachments

• Childhood's End.jpg
    Childhood's End.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Tesla3041.jpg
    Tesla3041.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 130
Finally got an ereader, and now reading The Cukoo's Calling, the 1st Cormoran Strike book. Pretty good even though I've seen the show and it is SUPER faithful to the book.

What do think of your ereader? Your choice of books is huge with the ereader and they're much less expensive but I've never tried one. I'm hesitant about getting one in case it's not to my taste. So I'd be curious to hear your opinion...

I borrowed the GOT graphic novel, for my youngest, from the library. He's not big on reading though...but we'll see. I have this feeling that he won't be starting school again till September...so in time he may give it a stab...time is on my side! ;)

Yup, I do like my ereader, a Kobo Clara HD. Only been 2 days so far though.

I generally enjoy Amazon products, but I tried reading on my old Fire tablet, and that was a bad experience. Having to convert from .epub and then eyestrain was just a no go. At first I wanted to get a cheap ereader but I read they are lower in resolution so more eyestrain. My Kobo has good resolution and takes .epub files.

I haven't read for decades, only occasionally.
When I was young, I've read 3-4 books on one day of 300-400 sheets each.
I've read, instead of learning, I've read at night under the blanket with flashlight, read everywhere, everytime.
Maybe that's why I became who I am.
The other is the music I listened.
It is good for me?
I don't know, but doesn't bother, I am, who I am, while I am.

Yes, I was an avid reader as a child, but only started reading again recently. It was all the idle time that I spend while acting as driver for my 7 year old made me finally get some new books.

My 7 old is turning into an avid reader, chip off the old block. We have a few books for her, as a family friend works at the public library and gets us discarded children's books. I'm thinking of getting her an ereader now as well.

“In my whole life, I have known no wise people (over a broad subject matter area) who didn’t read all the time – none, zero.”

— Charlie Munger
A Helpful Guide to Reading Better

Gosh, you folks read some highly technical stuff! I do remember reading Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe". String theory, multiverses and 10 or 11 dimensions. Beats me! :eek:

Is electronics the stuff that hobbyists can do any more? 4 Billion transistors in an AMD graphics card? :eek:

I waste far too much time on James Lee Burke's "Robicheaux" novels from the swamps of Louisiana:
Sunset Limited | James Lee Burke

My current read. Just when his Life is getting settled, some criminal nutcase intrudes and wrecks everything. Again. :eek:

Yup, I do like my ereader, a Kobo Clara HD. Only been 2 days so far though.

I generally enjoy Amazon products, but I tried reading on my old Fire tablet, and that was a bad experience. Having to convert from .epub and then eyestrain was just a no go. At first I wanted to get a cheap ereader but I read they are lower in resolution so more eyestrain. My Kobo has good resolution and takes .epub files.

Thanks, so the take home message is don't cheap out when getting one. I may just wait till I'm working though before I get one. Would love to be able to have the selection available to me with the ereader.

I read Philip K Dick's "Ubik" and it sorta blew my mind. Looking online the selection of his books is much better if I had an ereader. I've seen Blade Runner, The Minority Report and Total Recall but this was the first book of his that I'd read. Quite impressive....I want more!!!

Still finishing off the Cormoran Strike series, but in parallel took a gander at McNamara's and McMaster's books on the Vietnam War. Had no idea Vietnam was so screwed up. I know that may sound ridiculous, as Vietnam is known to be crazy in popular culture, but had no idea it was SO SO SO screwed up! I guess that's why it's a touchy subject in the US.