Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm uploading blind test results to share with this thread, this is 10 millisecond delay of a bass drum sound + hi-hat sound, it's really easy to hear

FYI at the same site I can hear a 125 Hz sine wave THD at 0.005% ABX'd with 0.001%, however that site doesn't have the blind test function for THD. Therefore, I downloaded Lacinato ABX software (as advised by a diyaudio member in the SQ vs measurements thread), so now I just need the 60 Hz or 125 Hz sine wave THD files (which are non-downloadable).

blind test 10ms error (easy) (first try)

I'm uploading blind test results to share with this thread, this is 10 millisecond delay of a bass drum sound + hi-hat sound, it's really easy to hear

That appears to be neither surprising nor special.

"Binaural hearing uses two main acoustic cues: interaural time difference (ITD) and interaural level difference (ILD) (Doerbecker and Ernst, 1996; Francart et al., 2011):

ITD is the delay between both ears. It is efficient for low frequencies (below 850 Hz). It is due to the envelope of the signal reaching the two ears. It can be reminded that a sound coming from the side at 90° has an ITD of 0.6 ms. When the source is situated in the front (azimuth 0°), the so-called front target, the ITD is 0 ms.

ILD is related to the intensity reaching the two ears. The signal is more or less attenuated by the head shadow. This effect is mostly perceptible with high frequencies (above 3 kHz). ILD is 0 for the front target."

from here:Interaural Time Difference - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Snake oil revision.
All these years I've owned and not used a couple of tube buffers, and never for sure heard them do much of anything, although I did hear some slight benefits inline with a solid state subwoofer amp paired up with tube powered mainspeakers.
Today I was moving some stuff around and came across them. My system is fairly different now from when I bought these:
Passive resistor stepped attenuator, passive source selector, small class A power amp, full range speakers with helper tweeters above 17000 hertz.
It couldn't adequately drive speakers below my current 98db/watt mains, but was still fairly quiet with my phono stages.
Tried out a Yaqin CD2 buffer, and low and behold, I had to back off the volume from 0 attenuation, about 5 o'clock to about 10 o'clock..
Probably the first time I've used one as intended I guess, but it works. I always had the feeling this was a useless purchase. I haven't noted any tube colorations I originally bought this for but in this instance, it's not snake oil.

They say snake oil.

I was finding myself watching shows I already have on disc, or channel surfing across 400+ channels of cable tv without really watching anything in particular.
I spoke about it with a few friends and some strangers I restaurants and coffee shops. I mentioned maybe just turning off the cable at least until halfway into the NFL season, with a basic package.
One and all looked at me like I have a second head growing out of my neck, and couldn't believe anyone could get by without at least cable at home.
It's only day 17 so far, but I've noticed and tweaked things I didn't pick up on with my stereo (no surround).
Today I found my attention span is regenerated from wanting to push buttons on a remote.
I just noticed I casually listened to the Trinity Sessions, Exile On Main Street, and Hysteria without ever being tempted to fast forward or skip tracks. Or watch broadcast programming, although this morning I did watch the remake of True Grit, and Hatari. (Before today I totally missed that Buttons tried milking a ram. Not that the goat complained).
Snake oil. Those people who say cable is a requirement have it wrong. I'm even doing some light reading for the first time in years, some Queen Of Air And Darkness, by Pohl Anderson, and even going for walks if there seems like nothing to do.
Saves a hundred a month, too.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
How To Assemble Your HiFi Set

Attachments

• HowToAssembleYourHiFiSet.jpg
    HowToAssembleYourHiFiSet.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 182
...And all this for the low low price of only TWO THOUSAND POUNDS STERLING. Sweet Baby Jesus...

Still I must say, that shill is about as good as it gets. The red herring gets thrown on the grill in the very first paragraph, the mark's ego gets the master stroke by placement in some mythical 0.01% category, etc. etc. They don't miss a trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.