Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere that the benefit of cable lifters is down to static electricity as they avoid the cables touching the ground; it's possible that static could be a problem that is ignored and should be looked into. I guess it would depend on whether the floor is wood or carpet and possibly if vinyl is the source. I wouldn't want to dismiss them without knowing more, although I manage without them because my cables are so short they don't reach the floor.

Hey there Bill,
apparently you have no idea how slow I go! Just now finishing up the bar which in turn just about completes the kitchen/dining area......finishing that was the prerequisite to starting on my built in entertainment center including building speakers and subs. I’ve had all the components for over a year now!

Anyways.......I haven’t forgotten my promise! Gonna be a bit longer, I’ll start a thread somewhere documenting my build.

Doesn’t help that we’re living in it while I’m working on it!

Attachments

• C43F3498-2E35-4747-B432-C06F3566332D.jpg
    C43F3498-2E35-4747-B432-C06F3566332D.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 185
From the Nordost website:

"How can cables be directional?

When cables are manufactured they do not have any directionality. However, as they break in, they acquire directionality.
Although the cable signal is an alternating current, small impurities in the conductor act as diodes allowing signal flow to be better in one direction over time. This effect is also called quantum tunneling, which has been observed in experiments over 25 years ago. Regardless of the purity of the metal used, there are still diode effects in all conductors. In addition, the insulation material will change when it is subjected to an electrical field."

SO, does that mean they "break in" the cables, then test for directionality and then label them?

I find that hard to believe.

So what they're really saying is - we're selling you bad quality composition metal that prevents it from being bi-directional ;)

The electrons only flowing on the surface of conductions is my fave. I remember once a dentist interview on TV where the dentist believed putting toothpaste under the tap washed off all the chemicals. Ignoring the entire rest of the toothpaste is the same composition :rolleyes:

I read somewhere that the benefit of cable lifters is down to static electricity ........

Yes, you read somewhere.... I see that a lot.
The internet and its information is only as good as its sources.
That static comment, I've seen it too, and trust me, those cable lifters are nothing more than hyped crap to add to the list of useless garbage fed to gullible people.

I don't understand that argument. Regards hearing, our ear/brain system develops through exposure to "natural" sounds in the environment. How does experience with audio help with that, serious question? Do you mean you're able to identify problems with audio equipment by the way they sound?

Identifying problems by hearing? - some problems are obviously clear to diagnose that way, others require shop/lab equipment.
That's problems, not other things like compatability issues, etc.

In my younger days I "trained" my ears discerning noise and thd applying different signals, measuring and hearing as well. So I learned the importance of masking.

Training may be understood as focusing. Anyway the resolution is limited to our restricted physical and mental abilities and so I would never claim to discern an amplifier with 0.1% THD from 0.01%THD.

In my younger days I "trained" my ears discerning noise and thd applying different signals, measuring and hearing as well. So I learned the importance of masking.

Training may be understood as focusing. Anyway the resolution is limited to our restricted physical and mental abilities and so I would never claim to discern an amplifier with 0.1% THD from 0.01%THD.

That is correct.
Those small percentages of things like distortion can only accurately be determined using test equipment, something a good technician has on their workbench.

Some types of distortion however are more easily sensed by ear, such as the wow/flutter in tape decks and turntables.

As you said, the human ear and brain has its limitations, yet, I'm amused at those endless internet blogs of individuals claiming to discern that they can notice and are bothered by a given amp's 0.1% THD or other trivial factor.
Because the normal, average human simply cannot determine such things.
Even a 1% distortion level is a barely noticeable (if at all) number.
Yet, we have a plethora of claims to the contrary, with arguments ongoing.
It's rather silly.

Yes, you read somewhere.... I see that a lot.
The internet and its information is only as good as its sources.
That static comment, I've seen it too, and trust me, those cable lifters are nothing more than hyped crap to add to the list of useless garbage fed to gullible people.

I mentioned to an electrical engineer, that maybe in a concrete floored unit, cable lifters might make difference, since they'd lift the cables a few inches further from the steel mesh used in concrete slabs.
He said maybe, since the steel is grounded, and may have an active magnetic field around it. Then he asked, if my speaker wires aren't shielded from such a weak possible effect, what would I reference as to guess at a detriment or improvement?
Through the speaker colorations.
I decided to add doubt and remained silent.

I mentioned to an electrical engineer, that maybe in a concrete floored unit, cable lifters might make difference, since they'd lift the cables a few inches further from the steel mesh used in concrete slabs.
He said maybe, since the steel is grounded, and may have an active magnetic field around it. Then he asked, if my speaker wires aren't shielded from such a weak possible effect, what would I reference as to guess at a detriment or improvement?
Through the speaker colorations.
I decided to add doubt and remained silent.

MIT, this apparent worry over speaker wiring and its perceived vulnerability to outside interferences is silly paranoia, plain and simple.
So many people that are not schooled in fundamental electronics are naturally gullible to such rediculous claims.

To put things in proper perspective, and describe the actual facts surrounding speaker wiring, I'll just say this....
An amp is low impedence at its speaker terminals.... wiring from it is also low impedence.... milliohms at best, and the speaker at the other end is only a few ohms, also low impedence.
There is nothing, NOTHING along this sonic route that some incredibly weak outside force-field-of-worry that some obsessivly-gripped-by-paranoia internet authority tries to justify.

Nothing against you, or anyone involved in this subject, but jesus mary and joseph, I get so tired of internet threads related to this non-issue.
I do my best to staighten people out with the truth, not paranoid nothings.

Status
Not open for further replies.