Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple laddy , everything in audio changes the sound , yes fuses does too , as cables ,power cords , outlets , caps, bada bing , bada bang , those without ears cringe, but thats alright too, it's why they invented beer ...

:drink:

If unpluging and reinserting your interconnects makes an "obvious" difference, as Ed stated last week (and used JJ as a confirmation), how could one ever do a controled test of directionality. :rolleyes:

If you mean unplugging and then plug in back the same interconnect makes a difference, cant say i have experienced that one before Scott . I have a set of monster cables given to me years ago , everytime i plug them into the system they still sound as dark as previously remembered ...
:)

I guess you have not observed that the periodic cleaning action of making and breaking connections, fair enough. Enid Lumley was also big on that, maybe everything is a relative term.

Even less when you look at the actual impedance perturbation of an RCA. Back in the day, there were quite a few small ham transmitters and receivers that successfully used RCA at RF. A centimeter perturbation of a few ohms for wavelengths in the tens of meters range just isn't significant.

It's notable that the folks who worry about that stuff never show the effects on the analog output of the DACs, the only thing that counts.

So I just "upgraded" a set of cables that get good reviews but are not extremely high end. They are a solid copper wire 12ga I believe. The dialectic is enamel. Essentially they are a heavy gauge magnet wire that undergoes a (lol) precise burn in procedure. I was at Lowe's and they had a sale on some 12ga speaker (zip) wire so I grabbed some. The cheap cable sounds better in my system. Less sibilant and a taller and deeper soundstage. Is this phenomenon possibly due to the cheap cable having a more compatible resistance with my tube amp? I know this is the snake oil thread but I felt this somewhat falls under this category since a $0.60/ft cable is outperforming a $10.00/FT cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm familiar with what you have suggested but cant say i have experienced it , will try it this weekend .....
a.wayne, if I had your current system in my house to keep and play with, the first thing I would do is rip off all the connectors and hardwire everything together - I wouldn't take any serious notice of what it sounded like until I did that, once that was taken care of then I would start to have a decent listen ...

a.wayne, if I had your current system in my house to keep and play with, the first thing I would do is rip off all the connectors and hardwire everything together - I wouldn't take any serious notice of what it sounded like until I did that, once that was taken care of then I would start to have a decent listen ...

OK Frank ... :)

I'm sadistic, enjoy taking a snake bundle of cabling and go thru them until happy, takes about 2 weeks, longer if rolling my own.....

:drink:

I'm sadistic, enjoy taking a snake bundle of cabling and go thru them until happy, takes about 2 weeks, longer if rolling my own.....
Which is why you will probably never be totally happy with your sound - for 30 years I've done this, and I'm never happy with what I get until I do it; especially, it makes all the difference with all those "bad" recordings people have, suddenly, that pile of albums dwindles dramatically ...

Speaking of cables ... Likey ... :)

Attachments

• Electraglide1.JPG
    Electraglide1.JPG
    304 KB · Views: 148
  • electraglide2.jpg
    electraglide2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 147
You are extreme in this respect, but I do think that what you would do would solve some problems.
People are so used to doing things in a certain way, and it's hard to change attitudes. This is why an almost nothing PC speaker setup, intelligently tweaked, can trounce an ultra expensive, bling infested creation, in the 'musicality' stakes, say - the former is getting key things right, things which are totally wrong in the latter ...

Status
Not open for further replies.