Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm repeating myself here, I know, but I feel it's worthwhile countering some of the negativity - this is an update to a chap's evaluation of how his system sounds after adding lots of very expensive "snake oil": My Experiences Building a Total Shunyata Zitron System--A Paradigm Shift - Page 2.

This rings the bells for me that he's managed to break through the quality barrier, albeit through very costly add-ons. The clear message is that such level of playback is the goal, and the corollary is understanding what needs to be done to make it happen at much more reasonable cost ...

I think some of the contributors here could learn quite a lot from modest and unassuming Shunyata founder Caelin Gabriel.

I was physical sciences major in college but couldn't quite finish my degree. Money issues. I then entered the military. They don't care about credentials at all. They just test you - thoroughly. They were duly impressed with my abilities and decided to send me to a secret Navy cadre. I obtained the equivalent of an electronics engineering degree and was assigned to a military division of the National Security Agency. The NSA is the governmental information-gathering agency, with the world's most elaborate high-speed computers and signal decoding equipment. We were involved with intense R&D of ultra-sensitive data acquisition systems.

We could lock onto correlated signal virtually obscured by random noise, a feat believed impossible by engineers using commercial electronics of the day. Working on these projects and with other NSA engineers taught me that 'impossible' is a relative term - and one that is not acceptable to overachievers.

RH: What is the most effective method of judging the
performance of AC power products?
CG:
Really, no differently than you would judge electronics or speakers with a few key exceptions. Make sure you apply four to five days of current through to the power cord or power distributor, if it is new. If you are considering replacing stock cords, replace all of them at once and compare. Otherwise a single quality AC cord could merely highlight negatives or have its effects mitigated by all the stock cords in the system. Evaluate stock cord replacements as a system whenever possible. Keep in mind that a power-distribution chain functions ideally as an integrated system and not as a random accumulation of disparate parts. We design our products to function ideally as a system, so
comparing one of our power cords in a mixed system is of little value other than to judge the one cord’s synergy with other random products. Do not mix or cascade power conditioners or you will end up with a very reactive and possibly unstable power delivery system. Do not compare power conditioners while another unit is plugged into the same outlet—they interact with one another even if they are off.

How did you discover this mysterious "flooby dust"?

(Laughs) By accident! I worked with a derivative of this material for an application unrelated to audio. I unwittingly parked a bag of it next to a component and noticed how the audio system suddenly sounded better. To avoid mechanical vibration damping from interfering with the compound's effects, I then built suspension jigs so I could research these proximity results by floating bags of the substance above components without touching them.

Humor aside for the moment - the compounds are not magic or voodoo science. Their principles of operation are deeply rooted in well-known, conventional physics concepts. Actually, FeSi-1000 is a term for patent-pending compounds that, like ferrites, absorb electromagnetic fields by proximitiy, by converting them into heat withint the molecular structure.

Wherever there was a strong electromagnetic field -- above power transformers for example -- the improvements of this absorptive shielding were pronounced. Of course eventually pouring optimized FeSi-1000 into a power cord also acted as a mass damper to yield secondary benefits.

Copper has a specific sound. So does silver. Both have a certain characteristic signature that's intrinsic to the material.

Now your dielectric becomes a spice that augments this base flavor. Copper has a weighty, meaty sound that's a little soft in the highs, perhaps a little blurry or fuzzy - certain coppers can even be a little grainy. If you know what all the different dielectrics sounds like, you now carefully select one appropriate for how you desire to balance these basic copper qualities. How do you want to complement their strengths? How to compensate for their weaknesses? Then you think about the different types of connectors, the metals you want to use..

Method and product for reducing distortion in an audio or home theater cable
US 6545213 B1
Abstract

A method and product for reducing distortion in an audio cable includes a flexible outer conduit and at least one electrical conductor (i.e. wire) disposed in the conduit along its longitudinal length. A granular or beaded ferro-electric substance is disposed in the conduit along its longitudinal length. The electrical conductor is surrounded by (i.e., immersed in) the ferro-electric substance along its length and extends from each end of the cable and may include whatever termination is desired to connect the electrical conductor to a component part of an audio or home theater system. A seal is provided at each end of the audio cable to retain the ferro-electric substance. Preferred ferro-electric substances include generally spherically shaped beads of silica gel or rochelle salts of combinations thereof.

Our speaker cable is based on a unique geometry that was granted a patent about a year ago. It's probably the first truly new cable geometry in the last 15 years. It's based upon a matrix of counter-rotating helixes. It's essentially a braided cable but probably the most complicated braid ever attempted....
...The cable is composed of 8 conductors (4+4) and twin spacer rods for a total of 10 strands that are hand-braided into two spirals that wind in counter-clockwise rotation while being interlocked between the spacers. Every inch is braided by hand, every cable must be braided to length - no cutting portions off 100ft spools.

Attachments

• matrix-raw-web.jpg
    matrix-raw-web.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Still missing the point. The goal's the key, not the means to achieving it - so, the first objective is to be able to consistently reach that goal, no matter how ridiculous or obscure the method is for doing so. Then, having established that the goal is not an illusion, some bizarre random event that can never be repeated, you can then progress to the next stages. Which are, to understand, at least to some degree, the underlying mechanisms at play, and engineer a more sensible and repeatable method of achieving the goal.

If everyone keeps falling over, laughing, while playing the man rather than trying to see a bigger picture, then no progress will be made ...

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have an extreme tolerance for bitterness, organoleptically that is, and zero tolerance for hot as in capiscum (go figure). Also think you can't put enough cilantro in salsa.

Jacco, you didn't tell me it does not fully wash out. My pants now give me red hot knees.

Scott, if we meet up in Chicago this Fall, then let's whip up some salsa. My Mom can't take the heat so I end up making a super mild batch and a super hot batch. ;)

Still missing the point. The goal's the key, not the means to achieving it - so, the first objective is to be able to consistently reach that goal, no matter how ridiculous or obscure the method is for doing so. Then, having established that the goal is not an illusion, some bizarre random event that can never be repeated, you can then progress to the next stages. Which are, to understand, at least to some degree, the underlying mechanisms at play, and engineer a more sensible and repeatable method of achieving the goal.

If everyone keeps falling over, laughing, while playing the man rather than trying to see a bigger picture, then no progress will be made ...

According to that logic we would do just as well to go up to people in the street and ask them for their opinions on what would improve our audio systems, or read tea leaves, or pick random words out of the dictionary. And who said anything about falling over laughing? Have you seen something funny in the extracts I posted?

Well said, Fas42. I really try to stay in the middle, mixing audio research done by others, with my own experiments, and the 'claims' of others (which can be rather extreme sometimes). It's difficult, but it can lead to more successful audio designs.
Hello John. Can you give any examples where someone else's rather more extreme claims turned out to be correct, and were useful in your work?

According to that logic we would do just as well to go up to people in the street and ask them for their opinions on what would improve our audio systems, or read tea leaves, or pick random words out of the dictionary. And who said anything about falling over laughing? Have you seen something funny in the extracts I posted?
Don't see how you make the connection from trying to experience and understand some phemonenon, to random behaviour ... if you don't want to consider that something interesting may be occurring, or be relevant, that's fine, but for those with curiosity who come across something doesn't make sense at first glance, it may be a signal for a treasure hunt ... :)

Last edited:
Well said, Fas42. I really try to stay in the middle, mixing audio research done by others, with my own experiments, and the 'claims' of others (which can be rather extreme sometimes). It's difficult, but it can lead to more successful audio designs.
Thanks, John. I think too many people get confused between others finding something interesting happening, and those other people's explanations for what's occurring. A discoverer is not necessarily a rigorous scientist, or adept engineer; or perhaps he just intends to throw the idle curious off track ... ;)

CopperTop;

That series of posts was great. Comedy is as much about delivery as it is content.

I'm repeating myself here, I know, but I feel it's worthwhile countering some of the negativity - this is an update to a chap's evaluation of how his system sounds after adding lots of very expensive "snake oil": My Experiences Building a Total Shunyata Zitron System--A Paradigm Shift - Page 2.

Is it coincidence that Shunyata chose the name 'Zitron' for the system?

And yes with regards to technical equipment the german sentence "Das Ding ist eine Zitrone" means the same as the literal english translation "That thing is a lemon".

CopperTop said:
I think some of the contributors here could learn quite a lot from modest and unassuming Shunyata founder Caelin Gabriel.
Why do all the best audio gizmos always seem to emerge from top-secret military research whose details can't be disclosed for public scrutiny? Why is there an assumption that if the military have been persuaded to spend my money on something which (allegedly) helps them spy on the bad guys, that I should also spend my money on it to (allegedly) improve my sound system? Why is this stuff often invented by someone who failed to complete an EE/science degree? Surely it could not be because that might imply some knowledge but not becoming a fully paid-up member of the 'nasty engineer/scientist' club?

It reminds me of the time when Hollywood male heroes were always divorced (in days when divorce was much rarer than today): the implication was that they were experienced but free.

The fact the particular system mentioned benefited from the particular "snake oil" products of a particular company is quite irrelevant; what is relevant is that the combination worked, to raise the standard of replay very significantly. The chap behind the company picked up some clues, by accident or happy experiment, found that many systems seemed to benefit, and went gangbusters on promoting it. And is probably making a decent living out of doing so, in the very best capitalist tradition ...

Which is all besides the point ... the real point is that something of interest is happening there ... and is anyone going to do some intelligent investigation of it? Most likely not, meaning there will be another round of snake oil products from someone else vaguely copying that success -- and someone else, and so on ...

Why do all the best audio gizmos always seem to emerge from top-secret military research whose details can't be disclosed for public scrutiny?

One reason may simply be that the military catches the most "interesting" research before it is patented / revealed to the public, and then keeps it secret....

Why is this stuff often invented by someone who failed to complete an EE/science degree?

Maybe because the person in question then have NOT "learned" all the "limits and rules" (that really do not exist) and maybe then also lost interest in a pensum the person understood was a possibly waste of time..

If a person have completed to much education it is nearly impossible to un-learn enough for the person to become a 'pure scientist' and will continue to be an 'applied scientist'....

"Normally everything is approached in the light of a preconceived theory - the ‘normal’ scientist has thus learned a technique which can be applied without asking for the reason why. As a consequence, the scientist has become what may be called an ‘applied’ scientist, in contradistinction to a ‘pure scientist’."

fas42 said:
what is relevant is that the combination worked, to raise the standard of replay very significantly.
Did it? Someone paid a lot of money for some things which come with a good story attached. It would be surprising if he didn't feel some improvement had taken place.

I'm not saying that no improvement happened. I am saying that we don't know whether it improved or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.