Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Funniest snake oil theories
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2014, 12:08 PM   #6001
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Simple laddy , everything in audio changes the sound , yes fuses does too , as cables ,power cords , outlets , caps, bada bing , bada bang , those without ears cringe, but thats alright too, it's why they invented beer ...

If unpluging and reinserting your interconnects makes an "obvious" difference, as Ed stated last week (and used JJ as a confirmation), how could one ever do a controled test of directionality.
Old 30th May 2014, 12:53 PM   #6002
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

If you mean unplugging and then plug in back the same interconnect makes a difference, cant say i have experienced that one before Scott . I have a set of monster cables given to me years ago , everytime i plug them into the system they still sound as dark as previously remembered ...

Old 30th May 2014, 02:08 PM   #6003
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
If you mean unplugging and then plug in back the same interconnect makes a difference, cant say i have experienced that one before Scott . I have a set of monster cables given to me years ago , everytime i plug them into the system they still sound as dark as previously remembered ...
I guess you have not observed that the periodic cleaning action of making and breaking connections, fair enough. Enid Lumley was also big on that, maybe everything is a relative term.
Old 30th May 2014, 02:31 PM   #6004
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

I'm familiar with what you have suggested but cant say i have experienced it , will try it this weekend .....
Old 30th May 2014, 06:31 PM   #6005
Speedskater is offline Speedskater  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
The problem is that consumer SPDIF cannot be terminated correctly because it is typically using RCA connectors......BNC yes.
Dan.
Yet another audiophile myth.
Impedance matching only becomes a factor when the mis-match length is a significant fraction of a wavelength long.
Old 30th May 2014, 06:50 PM   #6006
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

Even less when you look at the actual impedance perturbation of an RCA. Back in the day, there were quite a few small ham transmitters and receivers that successfully used RCA at RF. A centimeter perturbation of a few ohms for wavelengths in the tens of meters range just isn't significant.

It's notable that the folks who worry about that stuff never show the effects on the analog output of the DACs, the only thing that counts.
Old 30th May 2014, 06:59 PM   #6007
audionut44 is offline audionut44  United States
diyAudio Member

So I just "upgraded" a set of cables that get good reviews but are not extremely high end. They are a solid copper wire 12ga I believe. The dialectic is enamel. Essentially they are a heavy gauge magnet wire that undergoes a (lol) precise burn in procedure. I was at Lowe's and they had a sale on some 12ga speaker (zip) wire so I grabbed some. The cheap cable sounds better in my system. Less sibilant and a taller and deeper soundstage. Is this phenomenon possibly due to the cheap cable having a more compatible resistance with my tube amp? I know this is the snake oil thread but I felt this somewhat falls under this category since a $0.60/ft cable is outperforming a $10.00/FT cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30th May 2014, 07:00 PM   #6008
diyAudio Member

Yep, SPDIF is at such low frequencies that any common coax will work just fine in a 1 or 2 meter long cable. But for a 10 meter cable it probably should be a 75 Ohm coax.
Old 30th May 2014, 07:03 PM   #6009
diyAudio Member

Some of the budget speaker cables sold in the big box stores (with major brand names like RCA) is in fact copper plated aluminum wire.
Old 30th May 2014, 07:39 PM   #6010
cogitech is offline cogitech  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejockey View Post
I love the fact that this forum is so international, but wouldn't it also be great if we all were a bit closer together, so we could run our own blind tests, and settle all these issues once and for all?
None of "that" camp would ever show up.

Funniest snake oil theoriesHide this!Advertise here!