Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for the computer folks will a file and its inversion pass a checksum?

Guessing the question isn't serious, but the answer is "of course not". A checksum would certainly differentiate 1s from 0s. In fact, since the format on CD's is 2's complement signed-integer, he difference between +N and -N isn't even similar to flipping all the bits.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Just the typical stuff, ignoring important facts from the original statement of the problem. Let's not migrate to the bit exact files from different places on your disk sound "dramatically " different, I think the usual is more bass.

The only way this could be explained in realistic terms is a faulty hdd or interconnect which is causing digital noise on the power supply rails of the pc and/or motherboard somewhere which then is passed onto the analog stages of a DAC or soundcard, etc.

If the hard drive finds it hard reading that part of the disk then that could explain something which becomes audible. I wouldn't be suprised at all if the hdd turns out to be a Seagate ST3000DM001 of which Seagate is facing a class-action lawsuit over the failures.

Seagate faces class-action lawsuit over 3TB hard drive failure rates - ExtremeTech

As of April 2015, just 6% of the original 3TB drives Backblaze purchased were still in service. This kind of data could be evidence of a significant problem with the drive family.

But I would've thought that it would be sufficiently buffered by the 128MB cache which all HDDs have.

Last edited:
My last additions on Bybees on this thread - I agree with you, they will make a good addition to a great system when it is already well set up. If a rig is not there yet, the money is better spent for upgrading to better components. First gen Bybees are definitively a potential finishing touch to a rig, not something to start with

This is the standard response from most supporters of ' magic ' products whose workings are beyond scientific explanation due to behaviour not yet understood , ' trust me it works '
is the mantra alongside ridiculous pricing .
If these products are capable of such amazing improvements due to forces that cannot be explained why don't they improve the sound of lesser equipment ? after all it's magic right?
therefore the ' trick ' and it's effects should be equally apparent for a wider audience not just the well heeled audiophool.
It seems , to me , that these products exist simply to persuade enthusiasts with deep wallets and gullible natures to continue spending.

These threads always seem to end up with the same silly statements:
"I don't understand cellphones, therefore the tweak must be good."
"Newton was laughed at but he was right, therefore tweaks must be good because people are laughing at them."
"I spent a lot of money on tweaks, therefore I know they sound better."
"I don't understand it, therefore nobody understands it - including those criticising it."
"Some new development in electromagnetism is just around the corner, and will be discovered not at CERN or Fermilab but by an audio tweak inventor."

We noticed this phenomenon first about 12 years ago, and have been using it since countless times, with all sorts of systems, but none of us has electrostatics - all regular electrodynamics speakers. The effect is on the record, not the system. You can demag the LP in your garage, far from the system and the effect is there.

I assumed that people are familiar with the use of tape head demagnetizers... use the same procedure on the record that you would use to demagnetize a tape head. (Use proper demag procedure, otherwise it's not a demag. Proof of concept: if you don't demagnetize properly, just turn it on and off, there's no sonic benefit.) Do this while holding the LP in your hand away from your rig, NOT on the turntable, near the cartridge!!!!! Especially with your phono stage on...
If you are 6ft away from you cartridge, it will pick up barely any magnetic interference if any (faintest hum when your system is on). The demagnetizers have a strong effect near the tip of the demagnetizer, but the field falls rapidly and it's so very weak 6ft away even the cartridge has trouble picking it up.

Stay clear of interconnect cable and speaker cable ends. Demagnetizing your cable ends resets the connection as if you have disconnected and reconnected the cables and the connection has to settle again. Of course, only if one believes in such nonsense as cable connection break-in. I wish I did not, would make life a little easier. :) With some systems / ICs you don't notice any connection break-in time, with others it can take days. (Hint: more silver, longer break-in. Zero silver in your system, and you might not notice any break in time - full silver, and will sound like crap (extremely thin and shrill) for two days after you reconnect your interconnect;).

Please demagnetize the record only ;)

PS: anyone tried demagnetizing your vacuum tubes?? Especially ones in operation? I did that on my 807 power tubes (fed by 700V supply, amp on). Even with demagnetizer close to the tube, there was no hum (with 96dB eff speakers). After a couple run of demag in the course of 2 days, the blue glow of the tubes diminished greatly (while the blue glow was constant during the previous 100h of use): previously the very strong blue glow was clearly visible from far away in daylight, after 3 treatments a faint blue hue can be observed upon close inspection, or visible from far with the lights off at night. Hint: blue glow in a tube can be the result of gases being ionized (=not good vacuum). The getter is supposed to collect the gases, however, as they are ionized (especially with 400-700V field pulling on them in case of power tubes) they are trapped between the cathode and the anode, and don't have a chance to reach the getter when the getter is active (=when the tube is hot). Demagnetization allows the gas to escape from the plate structure, and be absorbed by the getter, cleaning up the vacuum, hence, less blue glow and longer tube life.
The behavior of getter has been known a long time. I tested if the getter action can be facilitated by demagnetization. And it can; ). Easy trick to get longer life from our precious power tubes. I recommend this procedure once a month - should delay greatly the onset of cathode poisoning.
Please forget if someone already mentioned this before, but the 807, like all tubes, electrons can be deflected, even by the internal residual magnetism on its metals. Some electrons simply "diverge" from the plate and hit the glass, making the blue phenomena. Pink glow is from gassy tube; in contrast, the blue glow is harmless. With the demagnetizer action, probably now the electrons are travelling in other direction. The screen grid also varies with magnet field direction and intensity, strongly in beam power tubes due to aligned g2/g1, and confined electron beam. Morgan Jones measured something about in one of his publications, if I remember well. But he's not impressed with.

The capabilities of human beings are wildly exaggerated.

And with the eventual completion of development of advanced artificial intelligence, we are also obsolete. Including our enjoyment of and production of music.

There is something to be said about being amish, at least when you are amish you never have the threat of artificial intelligence becoming hostile.

I've never seen a milk churn try to attack me.

There is also something to be said to be holding onto old silicon chips like CPUs, from current era chips, because you just know that eventually AMD and Intel will introduce artificial intelligence into their products to 'improve' our lives. When in reality they are replacing our minds with a more faster replacement.

Take a look at how a secretary's office has turned from manually moving folders around and typing things on a computer or typewriter towards a completely paperless office with email and databases. The same thing can be said for driverless cars. ATMs instead of bank tellers. Prepackaged meals instead of home cooked meals. Fully automated factories and Fully automated hydroponic farms replacing regular farms.

YouTube

While progress is positive in one hand, it is detrimental in replacing humans with machines on the other hand. Yes the benefits outweigh the cons, but we are still displacing human beings for the sake of profit margins and efficiency.

At some point it has to stop. Otherwise we will no longer have any reason to exist. No meaning and no purpose in life, which for most if not all unemployed people out there has already begun.

The same can be said for the 'convenience' of digitized music. Once you've listened to everything in your library and expanded it to contain every single possible recording on the planet, once you've heard all of that music, what is left? You are age 30 and you've heard everything, what else do you listen to for the rest of your life?

There comes a point which you must constrain yourself and limit yourself so that you never run out of new musical things to enjoy. We each have roughly 80 years on this earth, digital audio has made it possible for people to access and listen to just about everything out there. I ask the question, once you've heard everything, what else is left? It used to be the case that somebody liked one song their entire life. Now we like thousands.

Digital music, the convenience of, is a drug, and it allows you to shoot-up every few minutes if you need/want to. The analog nature of vinyl limits and restricts and slows down that rate. Because if you were to fill your house with all of the albums of music available in the world but on vinyl, you would no longer have any more room to move.

There is a sweet spot whereby the human being as we know of them today can feel happiest, most content, with plenty of things to do but also without disease, or unexpected sudden deaths. We need to find that sweet spot and stop development. Otherwise we will lose ourselves, we will lose meaning of who we are and what we are, what our capabilities are.

This is also why I like cassette tape, it limits my consumption of music so I do not binge on it.

Note that I am not condoning the use of bybees in this post, this post is a tangent.

There is no spoon, but I would rather use a spoon to eat my cereal with. Ignorance is indeed bliss.
One of the most interesting post in this forum! Very well said!
I also have this fear about human replacement technology. And love handmade/homemade.

Science and engineering can explain how cell phones work, even though you don't know how. Can science and engineering explain how Buymes work?
And science and engineering explains why my cell phone sound sucks... is a very el-cheap low power DAC, with a lot of out of band RF noise, questionable SN-R and high order distortion if compared with good quality ones, not to mention the compromised phone output capabilities for driving... phones

Please forget if someone already mentioned this before, but the 807, like all tubes, electrons can be deflected, even by the internal residual magnetism on its metals. Some electrons simply "diverge" from the plate and hit the glass, making the blue phenomena. Pink glow is from gassy tube; in contrast, the blue glow is harmless. With the demagnetizer action, probably now the electrons are travelling in other direction. The screen grid also varies with magnet field direction and intensity, strongly in beam power tubes due to aligned g2/g1, and confined electron beam. Morgan Jones measured something about in one of his publications, if I remember well. But he's not impressed with.
Of course, even with zero residual magnetism the blue glow will be present in some random prosition

Depends on the checksum algorithm; true for the simple algorithms (longitudinal parity check, modular sum), the bit inverse file will pass the checksum test. Not true for advanced algorithms (CRC, Adler32, etc...).

Typically you would not invert the title or other metadata or necessarily copy all of it. I have used .wav files for carrying instrumentation data since there are many cheap USB devices around and have never had an instance of inversion.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Here's a bundle of fun... USB cable, only £499....
AudioQuest Diamond USB Type A to Type Mini B Cable

"High-performance digital audio cables are inherently controversial; some objectivists argue that digital audio cables cannot possibly affect sound, while observational listeners often confidently insist well-designed digital audio cables can and sometimes do make for readily apparent and high beneficial sonic differences. We at Hi-Fi+ side with those who think cables make a difference and AudioQuest's terrific flagship Diamond USB cable makes a perfect case in point. Diamond USB features solid perfect-surface silver conductors, foamed polyethylene dielectrics, a three-layer carbon-based noise dissipation system, and AQ's signature 72V DBS (dielectric bias system). The result is an audibly superior USB cable that offers exceptional retrieval of low-level details and three-dimensional soundstage cues in the music, which also conveys a heightened-indeed, almost 'sculptural' - sense of rock-solid imaging. In short, Diamond USB fosters what one staff member termed, "a whole different level of vital connection to the music"."

HiFi+ (131) - January Awards 2016.

You bought the "Black Hole" instead of the "Quantum Mechanics" edition?
:D:D
Not at all ;)
Anyway, some facts:
In fact, at oscilloscope the amount of RF garbage is scary in my Samsung S5 mini. And the residual hiss sound perceptible on phones and is harsh... seems to have a little HF rising or something that cause this impression.
If one plug it on a amplifier, the low level noise is ridiculous.
So we have until now: bad SN/R, cheap probably 1 bit delta-sigma conversion with lots of RF, and so on.
My brother (other model) Samsung have the left channel phase inverted to the right (or vice-versa)! And I have blamed his auto radio... so I put a switch in cable for selecting mono-left, mono-right (for choosing the Beatles preferred channel :D ) or stereo for other cellphones like mine (at least mine don't reverse one channel). I maintaned his radio original, hence the cable switch, if not I put a phase inverter internally in the radio.
It converts everything to near 44kHz according with measured stopband (presumed from measured spectrum). Of course, it don't support >48kHz on Foobar OpenSL mode...
I have ARTA and I can make some extended measurements if people want... (I never made because I don't "lost my time" measuring that crap)... I even have a android signal generator installed on this, and I can use some test sinewave tracks (.wav on Foobar) also.

He is either a professional shill disguising as a regular forum member or someone with too much free time and looking to kill some of it.

I think neither. The belief that folks like Bybee are going to change the world of engineering and science, even though in 40yr. of tweaking none have, can only be taken on face value.

It's funny how the objective science and engineering community is some sort of cabal protecting their turf, while all these "wonders" kept for decades away from the rest of the world is not somehow equally bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.