Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audiophile Ridiculousness or Not?

I think we can all agree that some "audiophile" things on the market are just ridiculous. Ridiculously priced 100x what it should cost just because it's marketed to the elite of audio lovers, the audiophiles.

So I'll kick off this "Audiophile Ridiculousness or Not" discussion with...

A $54 3.15a fuse! Audiophile grade 6 x 32mm fuse.

Thats just absurd right? Who buys this racket?

As most mains is dirty anyway, would the minute distortion a fuse adds be noticeable.
if I had less morals I could see the Audiophile market as a means to making some good money for little output...

Realistically, assuming morals rarely feature highly in business decisions, it must be quite hard to sell rubbish. Also, a small business is life-consuming, and who wants to devote his life to a lie? A pretend life is close to being no life at all.

I'd be happy to make the money, and not be proud of it, but only if I could make enough to get out soon. It's the existential consequences that deter me, not the morals.

That and the fear of the next wonder-fuse. Imagine the pressure of trying to improve a product that had no utility in the first place. It must be a very messy and uncertain market.

We could make an infinite list of shame, but these people suffer enough in their nightmare worlds of smoke and mirrors :eek:.

I would assess that it makes an audible difference on some people's systems, and therefore for some people it's a investment. Whether it's actually an 'improvement' is something else again ...

The fact that there is a vast array of such items out there says that for enough people these bits of "rubbish" do have an audible effect, for whatever reasons. So, it's really up to audio engineers to design components such that the heard sound does not alter audibly when these "silly things" are applied.

Then, and only then, will this "silliness" go away ...

I would never make that assumption.
And one man's rubbish is another man's treasure.
There's the gullible and the status-seekers, and they may combine for a lucrative market. Easy money... who isn't looking for that?

If everyone could make easy money, then the entire history of the cosmos and everything in it tells me that's exactly what everyone would be doing.

So why aren't they?

Easy money is an oxymoron.

The basic erroneous assumption involved is that the sellers of such balderdash have a conscience - they may have had it surgically excised, as it tends to get in the way. Even more pitiful are the purveyors that actually believe in their particular line of phizz for some reason or the other...

Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs and listen. You will be shocked by this! The signature knobs will have an even greater effect…really amazing! The point here is the micro vibrations created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear…way better sound!!

...I will not write my name here...

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The basic erroneous assumption involved is that the sellers of such balderdash have a conscience - they may have had it surgically excised, as it tends to get in the way. Even more pitiful are the purveyors that actually believe in their particular line of phizz for some reason or the other...

That's not required. People are amazingly adept at rationalizing that whatever they do is for the good of someone else. It's a survival trait.

jan

Status
Not open for further replies.