Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Funniest snake oil theories
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2019, 08:48 PM   #14191
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie D View Post
Our pattern seeking tendency (it's hard wired) makes our cognitive abilities orders of magnitude more efficient. But obviously, it fools us a lot too, especially if we're not paying attention.
I was thinking that just today, I was in my garden, had my mobile with me expecting a call, it was in my pocket, doesn't ring very loudly, which I think is the key factor, so I was listening out for it. In the end it didn't ring but the birds fooled me more than once
Old 28th September 2019, 09:01 PM   #14192
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
I was thinking that just today, I was in my garden, had my mobile with me expecting a call, it was in my pocket, doesn't ring very loudly, which I think is the key factor, so I was listening out for it. In the end it didn't ring but the birds fooled me more than once
I'm of the sort that if I'm doing something around the house, or doing some domestic shopping, I don't carry a phone along with me.
I focus on things at hand.
It sits at home, on the charger, in the kitchen.
When I'm through with whatever I'm doing, there's always that "convenient" thing called an answering machine/voicemail that I can check at my own leisure for messages.

The only time I'll carry it with me is if I'm out with a friend in some store - they go their way, I go mine.
If we get too lost in a big store, it's a way to help find them when I want to leave.

I don't allow myself to be glued to a cellphone, as the general population does, which turns them into zombies.
Old 28th September 2019, 09:04 PM   #14193
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I don't carry it usually when I'm in the garden, which was probably the problem, extreme expectation bias
Old 29th September 2019, 09:08 AM   #14194
digitalthor is offline digitalthor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
I'm sorry but I have read the link and cant get my head round any of it, it seems complete and utter BS, the usual mixture of some factual information surrounded by complete and utter rubbish.

This was my favourite quote, how does the return current flow then one wonders.
This is up there with the Blackbody references on that site.

Then you gotta see this one:
Blackbody : Ambient field conditioner | Audiophile power conditioner | Audio power cables by LessLoss

6moons audio reviews: LessLoss Blackbody

They have the most crazy things I have seen, all in one homepage

Last edited by digitalthor; 29th September 2019 at 09:13 AM. Reason: add a link
Old 8th October 2019, 05:23 PM   #14195
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

And I thought things were already ridicules, then I saw this: Finite Elemente Pagoda APS Reference Audiophile Amp Stand | Cabinets, Racks & Stands | Gila, New Mexico 88038 | Audiogon

Better hury at $5000 these amp STANDS are gonna go fast!
Old 8th October 2019, 05:51 PM   #14196
diyAudio Member

Wait theres more: Kemp Elektroniks MAXiiMUS P40 Standalone Field Generator - StereoTimes' Most Wanted Component Award 2016 | AC Distribution | Audiogon

They need to change there name to moneygon.
Old 8th October 2019, 06:24 PM   #14197
bambadoo is offline bambadoo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdb View Post
And I thought things were already ridicules, then I saw this: Finite Elemente Pagoda APS Reference Audiophile Amp Stand | Cabinets, Racks & Stands | Gila, New Mexico 88038 | Audiogon

Better hury at $5000 these amp STANDS are gonna go fast!
Magico now makes som $40000 racks...
Magico Introduces MRACK Audio Equipment Stand | The Absolute Sound
Old 8th October 2019, 07:19 PM   #14198
diyAudio Member

Are rich people stupid? Yould have to be both to buy that BS
Old 8th October 2019, 07:48 PM   #14199
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...evolutionary biologists...
A fascinating field, and one which I never heard of when I was in elementary and middle school. Otherwise I might have chosen to study it.

I was cleaning out our cat's litter-box some twenty years ago when I started thinking about why cats bury their faeces. We've all heard the biologist's opinions, the survival advantages, but the cat doesn't know any of those reasons. So the cat must do it because it feels good. It's obviously not thinking about the benefits, so it's mindless activity that happens to feel good to the cat.

Somewhere along the way, a mutant cat got a few wires crossed in its brain, and as a result, got a little jolt of the reward-neurotransmitter dopamine every time it buried it's own faeces. The survival benefits kept that mutation going, until it took over virtually the entire small African wildcat population (which is what our domestic cats are, I believe.)

And that got me thinking, what wiring is there in my own human brain, that rewards me for my own mindless activities?

That is a fascinating line of thought to pursue. And that's how I first stumbled across the term "evolutionary biology".

So, sometimes, particularly when confronted with some particularly unpleasant, unwise, or repulsive behaviour from my fellow humans, I try to stand aside and watch my own species as it goes about it's daily business, and draw conclusions the same way a biologist observing a new species does.

Harder still is to stand aside from one's own activities, and try to observe them from a dispassionate viewpoint. It doesn't happen often, but it can be very illuminating when it does.
Quote:
Some of us rely almost purely on instinct
I would say all of us rely purely on instinct most of the time, with the higher executive functions only rarely called upon.

Most human activity has to be instinctual - you cannot think your way from sitting down to standing up, for example. It's far too complex a process, involving far too many muscles, to logically think through. Robotics researchers tried for decades to create a two-legged walking robot using logic before they finally succeed. A newborn horse stands up and walks within half an hour...with no logical thinking involved.

Did you know that there is a statistically higher-than-random chance that you and your wife's names rhyme, or share at least one syllable? Don is more likely to marry Donna than Judy; Judy is more likely to marry Rudy than Thomas.

Even in what we consider one of the most important decisions we make in life (choosing a spouse), instinct drives the decision...
Quote:
domestic housecats have 4% of the executive function that humans do.
There is a famous human holding high political office whose existence might disprove that assertion.

-Gnobuddy
Old 8th October 2019, 08:40 PM   #14200
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobuddy View Post
There is a famous human holding high political office whose existence might disprove that assertion.
-Gnobuddy
At least he doesn't act like he's playing Al Jolson.

Funniest snake oil theoriesHide this!Advertise here!