Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noted in that pixie dust book, 'Handbook For Sound Engineers', Ballou, :):

Good thing people in that game don't worry about issues of geometry or 'exotic' materials ... ;)

Frank that excerpt is full of nonsense mixed with real effects, I suggest you download the Keithley low noise measurement handbook. If your preamp operates at MOhm impedances you might have a point (until it pops indeed).

Aren't you guys tired of this?

You've taken a light hearted "Funniest snake oil theories" and turned it into another cable thread?

Why?

Thread after thread after thread on cables get started and closed. Why? Because the same thing happens in every one of them. Don't let that happen here. Try getting back to snake oil theories that don't deal with cables.

I remember moving my speakers around in my old bedroom back in the mid 1980s, the best sounding position I found left me with the wires running straight across the floor where I could trip over them, so I doubled the length with the same thin bell wire type stuff I used previously. I noticed straight away the drop in sound quality. I thought it must be because of the length going from 4 to 8 metres so I tried some thicker stuff, 42 strand type meant for hifi at £1 per meter. The difference was not subtle, an increase in bass weight was the first thing I noticed but it was definitely better all round, way better than even with the shorter bell wire.

I decided then that cables do matter in hifi, I still think that today but I would never pay large sums of money for what is lengths of wire at the end of the day.
i suppose you did not played it 24/7 with big wattage or loud.. and yet the cable does matter:)

i do not like expensive cables, but if i can diy my own..
spool of silver plated thin wire from hardware store, some heatshrink sleeves- one does not need rob the bank.

Definitely

A week ago, someone wanted me to have iguana soup (sopi di yuana), because it 'builds strength', said it tasted like chicken.
So I responded that if it tastes like chicken, I'll have the chicken soup (sopi di galiña) instead.

This one likes to visit every other day while I'm having tea on the porch in the morning, some 4 feet head to tail end.

Attachments

• Pet.JPG
    Pet.JPG
    303.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.