Digikey Swag!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Attached is a picture of actual Digikey Swag! Showed up two days ago, out of the blue.

Does that mean I am buying too much stuff? They did change my customer number many years back so I don't think they realize how long I have been buying from them.

They started out as a magazine add you ripped out and checked off the boxes of what you wanted!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    420.9 KB · Views: 318
I guess I don't buy enough any more. I'm feeling left out. They also changed my customer number a few years ago, but I have had the same mailing address for 36 years, and have bought from them longer than that.

They started out as a magazine add you ripped out and checked off the boxes of what you wanted!

I remember ordering from a small catalog that had about 10 pages of mostly surplus TTL chips when we built home computers in the mid 70's. They gave the catalogs out at the local computer shop that was DIY friendly (don't remember the name). It was not the Byte Shop, they just wanted to sell me an Apple 1 computer. I ordered a SWTPC 6800 kit from the other shop in the mid 70's and designed expansion boards for it. My first kit company was DMA engineering, making SS-50 bus memory and video boards. I remember the Digikey ads in Kilobaud Microcomputing magazine, but don't remember the check boxes. JDR Microdevices did have tear out pages, and Jameco had Jim Paks of parts in the computer store. Allied has been around since I was a kid, but almost dissapeared when Radio Shack took over. Lafayette and Olson (I worked there) have been long gone.

I thought this was the beginnings of Digikey, but I met an old guy at a hamfest that had one of the original Digikey products. It was an electronics kit with a simple single sided PC board and about 5 TTL chips. It was a DIGItal KEYer for a ham radio rig, hence the company name.

It used digital chips to establish the dot to dash ratio in Morse code transmission, which made for easier reception at the other end, and allowed for automatic "paddle" keying. Previous paddles were mechanical.

Damn, and after I spent $130 on a pair of Red Wings static dissipative shoes.
Them white "Gator" clodhoppers our company provides, just don't breathe.

If this is the official footwear that TI wants contract manufacturers of their
EVMs built with parts from Digikey to wear, I think they owe me a pair!

We have to step on an ESD tester in the morning and again after lunch,
I am doubtful that fuzzy slipper is going to fare too well...

Last edited:
Digikey has contests and trivia things several times a week on the Twitter account:
http://twitter.com/digikey
I've won several times, including three times in the last month or two. The prize pack always has some Digikey swag and often includes parts. I got some switches that were demonstrated in one of Digikey's "Another Geek Moment" videos.

My most precious is the Digikey hoodie I wore to hamfests last winter. One guy asked me "Do you work for Digikey?"

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Attached is a picture of actual Digikey Swag! Showed up two days ago, out of the blue.

Does that mean I am buying too much stuff? They did change my customer number many years back so I don't think they realize how long I have been buying from them.

Lucky you. I got a Digikey PCB ruler and about 3 days later a letter pointing out that the web page address printed on the ruler was wrong.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.