The Weather

Dunno. In New Jersey in the 1960s I remember two brutal hurricanes and a waist-high snowfall in an inland area which never had either, before or since. A bit north, everybody was freaked by hurricane Sandy but my father was in the Long Island storm of 1938, which left scars for many years. Over 35% of New England's total forest area was affected...over 2.7 billion board feet of trees fell. Poorly predicted, part of how ~~700 souls perished.

And before my time: The Great Colonial Hurricane of 1635.

In that general area: of 21 hurricanes known, 3 in my life, 6 in my father's life. IMHO, major storms are not more or less long-view, but in many areas there was a 30-year lull starting around 1970.

And yes, pavement. Bound Brook NJ had three "100 year storms" in about 25 years, in large part because NewYorkers had suburbanized the hills upriver.

I think I've lived, mostly, in good times and places. I feel spoiled.

Hey PRR, I grew up in Westfield, NJ so I would have been your long range neighbor at the time.
Bound Brook quickly became the Unbound Brook and flooded out the area in heavy rain events.
Were you active on CB radio there in the mid 70's? CB radio there was certainly the cutting edge of social media. Lots of technical discussions, comedic personalities and just people making friends. It was terrible to latter see how CB radio evolved in most of the rest of the USA. This part of the world in the USA is very special. Much love for my home town and that area and period of time.

Sure it’s just a few miles inland now.

Makes for a shorter walk with the doggies, and everything’s still wet enough for some new sniffs.

From last February’s light sprinkling - nothing to sniff, so toss me a stick, OK?

Attachments

• 44868045-BB58-40F1-AD9C-44465E36F0B2.jpg
    44868045-BB58-40F1-AD9C-44465E36F0B2.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 105
  • D28623C6-1F18-430B-8592-D947855BE707.jpeg
    D28623C6-1F18-430B-8592-D947855BE707.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 126
There’s something strange in the neighborhood…..
"Something wicked this way comes", perhaps?

"Wicked" is my hyperbole since mother nature has neither morality nor sentience, but that's how it sometimes feels to the people at the receiving end.

Fact: earlier this year, scientists confirmed that the Amazon rainforest had switched from being a CO2 sink to a CO2 source.

That means that, instead of millions of living trees absorbing CO2 out of the air, helping to slow down our the rate at which our earth is overheating, now there are millions of dead trees decaying and spewing carbon dioxide. That carbon dioxide, in turn, actually speeds up the rate at which our atmosphere is heating. It's making an already bad thing worse.

The trees are dying due to the increasingly extended dry seasons. Which in turn is caused by humans cutting down so many trees that they no longer transpire ("breathe") enough water vapour into the air to bring the life-giving rains in time.

Until recently, the Amazon rainforest had been helping to slow down global warming. Now we've turned it from friend to foe. As the Amazon forest dies, it's now accelerating atmospheric and surface warming, helping drive all of us on planet earth towards a future too hot for most surface-dwelling animals to survive.

Here's a link to an article about this devastatingly bad bit of news: Amazon rainforest now emitting more CO2 than it absorbs | Amazon rainforest | The Guardian

For a change, the weather here was beautiful today. Clear skies, sunlight, crisp, cold, clear air. I gobbled my lunch quickly at work so I would have time to go for a walk around the block, and still be back at my desk by the end of lunch break.

-Gnobuddy