The Weather

BBC is quite convinced it made it beyond the 20º mark in a location far from the pole obviously.
Thanks for the BBC tip - got it now! Apparently the temperature was measured on an island off the Antarctic peninsula (screenshot attached), and was a new record high for the location.

So yeah, that particular patch of Antarctica is 14 - 15 degrees Celsius warmer than Vancouver today. Freaky, and disturbing.

Along similar lines, I remember Whitehorse reaching a balmy and tropical 25 Celsius (77 Fahrenheit) in May 2015. I saw photos of Whitehorse residents in shorts and bikinis, relaxing in and around a swimming pool or lake.

25 C is pretty weird for a city at latitude 61 degrees north. Normal daytime high in Whitehorse is 14 C for that time of year, normal nighttime low is 1 degree C.

-Gnobuddy

Attachments

• Antarctic_Island_Above_20C.jpg
    Antarctic_Island_Above_20C.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 109

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It was 18F this morning when the kids went off to school, 16F now at nearly 9am, and is supposed to be approaching 0F in the afternoon. It's GOING to be cold today!

+1F (-17°C) here and now (Coastal downeast Maine).

Dogs don't get it. Even the thin-fur Corgi in no hurry to come in.

Have reservation for -6F tonight. That's a hair below the design temp for my heating system.

Colder inland.

Warmer after this. (Warms up to snow.)

When the temperature drops low it is a good time to beg, borrow or rent a thermal imager! It will show you where the heat is leaking out.

It can be surprising when you find a heat leak you didn't consider. I used to prefer metal boxes for my electric outlets, now I use the rated plastic ones. Also found an old covered over drier vent. One person I know found a bees' nest in their wall!

Should I point to some of the folks who don't think the climate is changing?

Personally with my full cold weather gear I can work or play when it is -20.

However when it is 90F I find that hard to do even with barely legal clothes.

The downside is my body tries to adjust to the cold by putting on fat!

I used to do datacenter work and would sometimes bring back servers to be repurposed or recycled.
I would leave them in my car overnight in the trunk and have to realize how much life it sucked out of you to pick up a 1U server and bring it inside. This was just on odd days where the server chassis could be 35F at best.

Yeah, I saw a TV show the other day on which a long time Tasmanian resident diver said the sea on the east coast of Tasmania had increased three degrees celsius, more than anywhere else. Massive forests of sea kelp that he'd dived amongst for decades have disappeared and the sea bed is now barren.

At 3AM Friday it was 65°F, at 10AM it was up to about 68°F (20°C). By Noon the Sun is shinning, the wind is blowing and the temperature is quickly dropping. By Midnight it's expected to be down to freezing. Saturday it may not get above freezing. Meanwhile 120 miles to the south, rain is washing out roads.

Here in the UK the snowdrops are fading quickly and with the first daffs we got the hail we always have when they come out.
It has been turning cold all day today.
The local soccer pitch had had standing water on it all winter this year and it is beginning to dry up now but only very slowly.

it was up to about 68°F (20°C). By Noon the Sun is shinning....120 miles to the south, rain is washing out roads.

We are about 120 miles SSE of Lakewood. No sun here.....lots of rain. The creek has overflowed it's banks and the yard is mostly mud. Didn't venture out today, so I don't know what the Ohio River looks like, but I imagine is a lot higher than normal.

It made it up to 65 today and it is still in the 60's. 30's are predicted for tomorrow morning, and 20's for tomorrow night. Frozen mud is some slippery stuff.