The Weather

it's my guess you will definitely need the shorts.

I did have shorts and a tank top on when I left the house this morning.......but I was going only to the gym and the post office.

From the look of most cars I passed, we got 1 to 2 inches of snow falling from the sky. There was enough heat in the ground to melt most of it as the air temp remained right at the freezing point. The yard is still mostly green, but the trees are white.

That has changed in the last few hours. The temperature is below freezing and dropping with a strong wind from the north. This has required jeans and a t-shirt for some outdoor work. This will be the first below freezing test of the Lithium powered cordless drill that I got a while back.

Ice storm last night -- we had a generator installed last year so kept warm:

Attachments

• Ice Dec18 2018 a.jpg
    Ice Dec18 2018 a.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Ice Dec 18 2019 b.jpg
    Ice Dec 18 2019 b.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Ice Dec 18 2019 c.jpg
    Ice Dec 18 2019 c.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Ice Dec 18 2019 d.jpg
    Ice Dec 18 2019 d.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 110
I was concerned about a potentially L-O-N-G-E-R than usual Winter when we had measurable snow at the end of October / 1st week of November this year.

Luckily, after the early cold-snap - things seem to have normalized.

We're now in the midst of the usual Winter suckitude
(I actually prefer Mid-January / Feb - It's usually colder with Snow on the ground, but at least there's still a little daylight when I get out of work...)

Had a week where it has it -35C or 30F overnight and about 10 C warmer during the day. Warming up now for a week of above normal temps (I'll believe it when I see it) I have seen it melt and rain here over the years every month of the winter since the weather started changing in the early 80's.

I live very near to Stone Henge. The A303 passes it. My son made an interesting observation. 25 th December is the day when the true new year arrives in the north. A few days either side of solstice show little variation. Stone Henge is said to show the solstice. It is argued the Christmas we use is in fact the more correct ancient solstice. I think I read seasons of light and dark look like a sine wave when plotted. That seems to make sense.

Woke up to undercooled rain this morning. More stable now but still slippery as f***.
Still got snow, will post some pics of the daytime/evening view out the back door later today.
Undercooled rain is ... cool ... not.
Some 5-6 years ago we got a lot of it here on the West coast and the hospitals in the area were filled with broken arms and legs and the humens attached to them.

Up here, or down here the gray and sh*tty weather continues. I don't think there's a sun lighting/warming up this planet ...:confused:

Headed for a relatively mild GREEN Christmas holiday this year.
Predicted to be 4-50F (4-10C) for most of the week

I'm going to be on Holiday all week - so I plan to relax, run a few errands, and enjoy playing with my new-to-me FET-9 Pre-Amp / maybe spin a little Vinyl.

I for one am NOT complaining - plenty of time for the cold, white, slippery stuff when me and plenty of others with less self-control will be travelling and making merry.
THAT = SAFER roads for all around here. :santa2::frosty:

Last edited: