The Weather

We had a late season tornado up by our second house, one dead that I know of, lots of damage to the houses around us from falling trees, but all of our trees are intact and from the pics looks like only a few smallish limbs on the roof.

Headed that way with a generator and some deep cycle batts and inverters - likely be a week before there is reliable electric power. I hate generators.

Last edited:
Here in British Columbia's Lower Mainland, temperatures are hovering just above freezing at night. There was frost on the lawn this morning.
I wish former British citizens who moved to, and colonized, new countries had used a bit more imagination when naming their new settlements, rather than naming everything after either their old cities, or their old royalty. The planet is covered in places named Victoria, York, London, Ontario, Manchester, Oxford, Newport, Plymouth, Dover, and so on.

Canada is no exception, with seemingly thousands of things named after Victoria or her progeny, or the bits and piece of the British Isles. British Columbia's capital city is Victoria, and we have an entire province named after one of queen Victoria's daughters ( Princess Louise Caroline Alberta .)

Canada was a gorgeous new country full of novel sights and creatures, and you would think the pioneers would have had at least the minimal creativity to come up with names like Beavertown, or Moose Valley, or Racoonville, instead of simply naming everything after people and places they'd left behind.

-Gnobuddy

Canada was a gorgeous new country full of novel sights and creatures, and you would think the pioneers would have had at least the minimal creativity to come up with names like Beavertown, or Moose Valley, or Racoonville, instead of simply naming everything after people and places they'd left behind.
Yeah, like naming states with the native American language such as Oklahoma, Tennessee, Nebraska ...etc. And the city Chicago, named after the pronunciation "shikaakwa" by native American (means onion field) and spelled by French. :nod:

On the other hand, I've been to a town called New London in Connecticut, USA. There is also a town called New Britain in that state, not a town I want to stay. :no:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> I wish former British citizens ...had used a bit more imagination when naming their new settlements.......

We got your Trenton, Camden, Cambridge, sure. Some of these are NOT actually named from a place in England, but from Revolutionary War battles in New Jersey (in places named from England) which raged while this area was being settled.

But Maine also has Millinocket, Madawaska, Kenduskeag, Ogunquit, Mattawamkeag, Passadumkeag, Norridgewock, and Damariscotta, which you may recognize as euro adaptation/corruption of native names.

Also New Canada, just to make you feel old.......

Last edited: