The Weather

Norwegians and Swedes have a love/hate relationship. I guess thare are as many anecdotes in Norway about stupid Swedes as there are anecdotes in Sweden about our neigbor in the West.
One kind of Swedish joke is about "Norwegian" made-up words, and trying to mimic the Norwegian language, which (most often) is very much like Swedish.
Many words up here in W Sweden, that are dialectical are actually Norwegian words.
About once a year, when it gets cold and snowy, I watch John Carpenter's The Thing (1982). I love the part where MacReady (Kurt Russell) calls out "Hey, Sweden!" and the Doctor Copper goes, "They're not Swedish, Mac. They're Norwegian." :D

I was told by a visiting Scotsman that Mel Gibson's Braveheart (1996) is very popular in Scotland. I'm wondering, is The Thing (1982) popular in Norway & Sweden?

Cal,

I was about to get my left shoulder surgically treated for anterior dislocations when a friend who practiced myofascial trigger point therapy insisted on helping me.

His method was simple he held my right arm up behind my back and then the left one. The left simply didn't bend up as far. He then pressed on my left shoulder blade for a bit until it hurt. The theory was that the muscle pair controlling the shoulder were not balanced. By pressing the trigger point it relaxed the too tight muscle. Sounds like a lot of musclephile phooey. But I didn't need the surgery after that and it has been 20+ years.

Now I did not have any actual damage, such as torn tissue or bits of whatever in the joint.

If you want to try the arm twisting thingy, the trigger points can be found on the web. All you have to add is someone with a strong finger.

Now before I was humoring a friend, since I have used trigger points to speed my rehab after a druggie ran his car head on into mine. The physical therapist I was using was familiar with the process. He named the muscles that needed to be treated. I looked up the points on the net. He was pleased to see my moving from a wheel chair on the first visit to walking in for the second one.

Best of luck to you.

It isn't that cold, but it is really wet. We have set a record for rainfall in February. The previous record was 7.7" and we passed 8.6 yesterday. We are currently at 9.96" with up to another inch tonight.

My front yard is turning into a lake.

Attachments

• Rain.jpg
    Rain.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 150
I got a phone call at about 9 AM this morning that started with "where are you?" It seems that I had forgotten that today was Girl Scout Cookie day. Two 26 foot box trucks deliver over 20,000 boxes of cookies to the gym of a local school, where volunteers unload them, sort them and send them on to the individual Girl Scout troops. Then each troop takes their share (5500 boxes for us) to their meeting place where they are again sorted, and distributed to the individual scout leaders (about 250 boxes for us) for delivery to the Girl Scouts who sold, or will sell them. I got the 250 boxes to our house. My wife and daughter are still out doing final delivery.

For some unknown reason it ALWAYS rains on cookie day.....except for when it snows. Nobody there could remember an exception to this rule. At least today was not as wet or cold as last year, but it is very windy.

Cal,

I was about to get my left shoulder surgically treated for anterior dislocations when a friend who practiced myofascial trigger point therapy insisted on helping me.

His method was simple he held my right arm up behind my back and then the left one. The left simply didn't bend up as far. He then pressed on my left shoulder blade for a bit until it hurt. The theory was that the muscle pair controlling the shoulder were not balanced. By pressing the trigger point it relaxed the too tight muscle. Sounds like a lot of musclephile phooey. But I didn't need the surgery after that and it has been 20+ years.

Now I did not have any actual damage, such as torn tissue or bits of whatever in the joint.

If you want to try the arm twisting thingy, the trigger points can be found on the web. All you have to add is someone with a strong finger.

Now before I was humoring a friend, since I have used trigger points to speed my rehab after a druggie ran his car head on into mine. The physical therapist I was using was familiar with the process. He named the muscles that needed to be treated. I looked up the points on the net. He was pleased to see my moving from a wheel chair on the first visit to walking in for the second one.

Best of luck to you.

Having had the same injury many years ago (pulled around by big horses) and now bursitis in one and inflamed sheaths in t'other I know how painful such things can be. Hope the cure lasts.

[I am not surprised that you have not mentioned this on JC's thread, version 3!

;)]

Forecast called for rain, wind and cold. It was 62 F and sunny around 10 AM but very windy. All the rain over the last week has left the ground saturated, so several trees were blown over. I gathered and cut up all the stuff in my yard and my neighbors yard and piled up for a bonfire once the winds and rain go away for long enough to dry it out.

It was reasonably nice at 5 PM, maybe 45 to 50 F and most of the wind had died. I was outside cutting some steel frames for shelving and wasn't cold. The wind had shifted to be coming from the north. Cold is coming, so all of the indoor plants were brought back inside. Now at 7 PM its 38 F and the forecast calls for 25 F overnight.

how many were actually dispatched for final delivery? I gotta think that included in the several thousand calories

I only kept 6 boxes for myself...one of those is nearly gone......I have always been a cookie monster, but I prefer the cookies from Trader Joes.

Potato chips can stay here uneaten for weeks, then I will kill a whole bag. That happens on a hot summer day when I get a salt craving, usually from dehydration, so its Gatorade and salty chips, maybe a pretzel too.

It's double crap today.

this morning I drove my daughter to Hamilton, lots of rain made for poor visibility, water running all over the roads because the ice has the drains clogged up

this evening I picked up my son from the bus depot, lots of blowing snow made for poor visibility. The earlier puddles of water are now all ice and covered over in snow so you can't see a darn thing.

one might have mistaken the variable weather for Calgary..... :D

how the weather can be nice in Wales is a complete mystery. I've been to Wales many times. I don't remember there being good weather too often. everything has gone to pot. It's quite possibly the end of the universe. However, Tetley ales and Yorshire gold are still available so we'll hang on a bit longer.

So mild, the snow is not good for skiing, especially if the goal is to avoid angry kids and mrs.
Only 2 xcountry ski trips this season...

I used my extremely limited veto to get the kids and mrs to go for a walk together, 9km walk, and the kids managed to stay positive throughout, only 166 altitude meters and sticked to the roads, so very easy terrain.