The Weather

Bill, most people drive with non studded tires, the government controlled road maintenance system has had a sort of campain against studded tires for quite some time, because they tear up the roads. At the same time, they recommend around 10% should drive with studded tires to make the road driveable for everyone else.
I think it's much less than 10% on my commute, probably between 0.5-2% somwhere.

We went for a short cross country skiing round today, only 5-6km or so. Was about -13 c, I did not see any other kids than ours, but there where quite a few people out and about. Forgot to bring my phone so no pictures, everyones hair and beard got white with frost. Everyone's complaining about muslce akes and whatnot, but I'm not feeling it for some reason. It was very nice, hope the snow will keep for a while.

I am not here to be smug, I am here to wish those affected by the cold, all the best, nothing more. I will post something smug next time. Take care all of you.

Allow me then, a balmy 5C this morning, so did need a windbreaker and gloves for my early morning jaunt up the hill at Mt Doug, but it was worth it.
Mt Baker is 110km .

Yesterday was “Mount” Tolmie, with an pretty clear view of the Coast Range.

Attachments

• 0F90CCAF-3C30-4F38-A3E9-03B717BBD500.jpeg
    0F90CCAF-3C30-4F38-A3E9-03B717BBD500.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 62856319-8095-478B-AABE-94DE92D7D82F.jpeg
    62856319-8095-478B-AABE-94DE92D7D82F.jpeg
    724.4 KB · Views: 144
  • AF5001CD-B977-4C00-A89D-1DADD09E8C8E.jpeg
    AF5001CD-B977-4C00-A89D-1DADD09E8C8E.jpeg
    469.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 0E122BCA-79C2-4861-88FE-218FA0C42C28.jpeg
    0E122BCA-79C2-4861-88FE-218FA0C42C28.jpeg
    600.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I put supplemental heat in my shop in the room where the water pipes enter.
I am curious to see how my home heating system copes.

I do have weather gear that keeps me comfortable at -20F actual temperature. But even so that is really cold even without wind.

Keep in mind the 30-30-30 rule. At 30 below at 30% humidity exposed flesh freezes solid in 30 seconds.

So stay warm.

Does your wooden overcoat come with brass handles?
I find it mildly amusing when I see images of Brits in Southern England wearing Canada Goose Parkas. So much for global warming.

Duh , it's 20F warmer in brettles , Alaska than it is in Gatlinburg , TN USA.
The mechanism is that the polar jetstream is "destroyed" , allowing arctic air to
plunge to Florida.
Polar jet used to be strong in the 20'th century , keeping Siberian air away.

OS

pretty clear view of the Coast Range.

Every where I look, I see snow, brown trees, or frozen mud. The creek out back has frozen over. A 3 or 4 pound rock just bounced and skidded away when it hit the ice, so it's pretty thick.

7F - 30mph wind here , no escape.

Currently 15 F here with 20 to 30 MPH winds. Tomorrow night promises similar winds with below zero temps. Schools and some businesses are closed for the next two days.

My plans would have my car filled with tubes from ESRC in Orlando already, and two more days at Universal Studios before driving back north, but plans have a way of failing. We had to turn around before we got out of West Virginia last week due to the death of a relative, who is also the owner of the store where my wife works. She had plenty of money so the ugly stuff has already started.

High 30's degrees (C) in NZ - couple more days of it being 5 degree C more than normal before they can declare it a "Heat Wave" High humidity to 90% so pretty sticky.

Just seen Amazing shots of snow in the states and predicted -46C temps time to switch on some class A amps and rug up well.

Stay safe and warm folks.

-18c yesterday, -18c today.
One of my co-workers had -28c at home this morning.
Glad I'm doing computer stuff now, some support and some network issues, not envious of the guys doing metal work outside in the river wind, you know the wind that follows down rivers. Cold air being pushed down, following the valleys and rivers, then you get this constant stream of cold air.

So glad I'm inside.