The Weather

I had a meeting outside in Cleveland Ohio January 19, 1994. It was a real -20 F that day. Also was in Saranac Lake NY when it was -22 F.

I kept that Parka for close to 40 years! Had it resown only once.

Did lose a car engine in Cleveland. The radiator fluid didn't meet specs!

Now a foot of snow locally is about an annual event. I was hopping for a good three footer this winter. There is an abandoned property I would like to buy, but the owner currently is asking more than it is worth. The roof is already failing. Without the building the lot has some value to my neighbors and I!

Cal, anytime you are feeling sluggish let me know. I can get some dry ice to put down the back of your shirt! ;)

Oh god! I hardly slept on the night to 15th, did hardly slept on the plane back to Sweden on the night 15th-16th and had to drive 60 miles in darkness and f*****g hard rain. Had to fight hard on a feww occassions when I didn't see where the asphalt ended on the right hand side and the wheels of the car ended up in the loose gravel.
Got finally home, hungry just find my fridge empty for a some olives, apple marmelade and soya sauce and few beers - so dinner was a beer and some peanut butter I find elsewhere.
After that I didn't get much sleep either. But this "morning", got up after 14 hours of sleep. Today it was sunny, but I missed most of that.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
-18c this morning.
I think studded tires on my EV has slightly more impact on range than the temperature.
Quite nice right now, since all the non studded winter tires merely polish the ice, I have plenty of grip, people just slide around.

Are studs not a legal requirement where you are? My only 'real winter' experience is northern Finland where studs are law and visitors are scared by cars heading off onto sheet ice!

Are studs not a legal requirement where you are? My only 'real winter' experience is northern Finland where studs are law and visitors are scared by cars heading off onto sheet ice!

In the US not only are studs not required, they used to be prohibited because they tore up roads. They are still prohibited or restricted in most states. These days in New England we generally have snow on the roads for a day or two after a storm. After that most roads have been cleared and are dry (except in my neighborhood, which remains snowy often for weeks). So snow tires are needed for a max of 10 or 20 days per year. But because those days often coincide with school or other closures, we generally don't even need them that much.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
In the US not only are studs not required, they used to be prohibited because they tore up roads. They are still prohibited or restricted in most states......

Studded tires
1. Prohibited May 1st to October 1st. Except as provided in subsections 2 and 3, from the first day of May to the first day of October, a person may not operate a vehicle with tires having metal studs, wires, spikes or other metal protruding from the tire tread.
Maine Title 29-A, SS1919: Studded tires
Fire Dept and School Buses are excepted when school is in session. The Commissioner may extend the season. It is possible to buy an exception for special cases.

My winter beaters have top-rated ice tires. Fomerly Blizzaks, now Nokian Hakkapeliitta. If I don't feel good on them, I don't go out. Actually the real issue is that my town does not salt, but spreads sand very thick. At intersections it's all slip/slide on sand.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
In the US not only are studs not required, they used to be prohibited because they tore up roads.

Yes. In Finland they drive on sheet ice for months at a time. Ice on top of cobbles in a lot of villages. Taxis doing handbrake turns whilst you are in them on occasion. There was a development of tyres with retractable studs but not sure those took off.

We don't get much snow here but I'd been running goodyear ultragrips in the winter as they were just so good on damp cold greasy roads. I changed car and am trying the latest breed of 4 season tyres. They're not bad but don't quite give me the mind boggling grip levels of true winters. But this is a good thing as does slow me down :)