The Weather

Early this morning I went outside to look for the Orionids, but saw only one faint trail, which ironically burned out right below the belt. At 5 AM everything was frozen. The car windows were covered in ice, the puddles were completely frozen, and the grass crunched beneath my bare feet. Those frozen footprints were still intact as I left for the gym at 7 AM, and when I returned at 8:30. My outdoor thermometer is still waiting for me to change it's batteries. The average of all the bank thermometers in town was 28 F (-2C) and we are typically a few degrees colder outside of the city.

I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit, then I will go outside and mow my lawn for the last time this year. It's supposed to reach 60 F this afternoon, then get cold again with a good possibility that 60 F may not happen again for a while. Weather channel says weeks....to not this year!

Enjoyed some Swedish Summer temperatures :)frosty:) the other day.

Attachments

• IMG_6211.JPG
    IMG_6211.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 83
Hamilton, Bermuda - aside from a higher cost of living than hometown Victoria, 24C at 5:00PM local time ain’t hard to endure.

Tried editing twice, and still shows flipped. Maybe some moderator can fix that?

Attachments

• E4AF79D6-6D68-487E-B45B-79A56BD2367B.jpg
    E4AF79D6-6D68-487E-B45B-79A56BD2367B.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...Tried editing twice, and still shows flipped. Maybe some moderator can fix that?

"Digital Cameras with orientation sensors allow auto-rotation of portrait images. Unfortunately, support for this feature is not widespread or consistently applied." ImpulseAdventure - JPEG / Exif Orientation and Rotation

I would guess your camera or desktop software knows something our forum browsers is not picking-up. (However on another site I see sideways thumbnails come up right... "inconsistent" seems to be the truth.)

TLDR: JPEG Orientation ? magnushoff.com

Attachments

• 2367B-rotate.jpg
    2367B-rotate.jpg
    726.8 KB · Views: 115
Thanks, PRR. Brimstone Hill, Devonshire Parish, Bermuda - southeast vista on the Atlantic. Pleasant enough spot to spend a few weeks in the mid autumn. Certainly beats what Victoria is having this week.

And I got lost after about the third paragraph of Magnus’ JPEG orientation treatise.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...I got lost after about the third paragraph of Magnus’ JPEG orientation treatise.

Indeed. It seems to be comprehensive but TMI for me.

FWIW, what I did was save the pic and open in a dumb old app which hardly/doesn't know what EXIF is. Land was on top. Turn 180 degrees, save, post. (Because JPG->JPG re-save is lossy, I opted for little compression, and my file is 3X the bytes of yours; but I liked the image so I let it be fat.)

We have days like that here. "Here" not my house in the woods, but the bottom of my road, where it hits bayside. Wonderful vista of the bay, and sometimes clouds overhead. But no place to stand. This snap is on the way back from the bank. No clouds, and it is a bitter cold wind, so not a great picture. As you see, late leaf-peeper season.

Attachments

• FrenchmansBay-Oct2018.jpg
    FrenchmansBay-Oct2018.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 106
Indeed. It seems to be comprehensive but TMI for me.

FWIW, what I did was save the pic and open in a dumb old app which hardly/doesn't know what EXIF is. Land was on top. Turn 180 degrees, save, post. (Because JPG->JPG re-save is lossy, I opted for little compression, and my file is 3X the bytes of yours; but I liked the image so I let it be fat.)

We have days like that here. "Here" not my house in the woods, but the bottom of my road, where it hits bayside. Wonderful vista of the bay, and sometimes clouds overhead. But no place to stand. This snap is on the way back from the bank. No clouds, and it is a bitter cold wind, so not a great picture. As you see, late leaf-peeper season.

Nice view! Love coastal Maine!