The Weather

Actually just a bit low. Normal would be 15 funny degrees. I live just a bit up the river valley hill from the river. Lots of green stuff so often airial pictures don't see the houses. On a good clear night the temperature drops nicely.

High today 86 low 64 so not quite as cold. Higher up gets colder.

My shop now has a white roof. (Thanks). So the one ton of airconditioning (Primary secondary 1/3 ton) keeps things quite comfortable until someone leaves the garage door open.

Last edited:
Thanks for your concern. Near here yes. Very hilly terrain, 12 blocks down the road from my shop a few feet of water, my shop high and dry. But it did flood in 2004.

If my house overlooking the river floods look for animals two by two boarding a boat!

What has happened is the storms normally come in from the west and continue to travel east. Last week they came up from the south which means more moisture and they stayed in place for hours.

40 or so inches of rain per year typical and some storms have dropped 4-6" by themselves.

Of course everything is quite green except for the trees that have fallen.

I do watch the river. Flood stage is 21'. It is actually staying around 13'. So all the flooding is actually just rain run off. The river is controlled by the Corp of Engineers so a river flood is no longer a seasonal event.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Simon -- ...under water at the twist of the Allegheny River.

Oakmont is high land, grooved and sloped down to the river. The "Riverview" section may now be river-washed. Most of the housing is well uphill.

Like me. I'm a mile off the ocean, high tides, and occasional hurricanes. But also 110 feet elevation, and no land >10 feet higher than me.

I drove through one of the great Midwest floods of the 1980s. Raised roads through flat land with nothing but water all around. Scary.

Attachments

• Oakmont-topo.jpg
    Oakmont-topo.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 152
I drove through one of the great Midwest floods of the 1980s. Raised roads through flat land with nothing but water all around. Scary.

I drove through the recently minted I-80 in the early 1970's (back when they had slit trenches at the rest-stops!) and the mud was up in the trees!

I go back and forth on I-80 almost every other week. All in, it's just about 2 hours more than flying EWR-CLE, and I can listen to the MetOpera or Laugh-Out-Loud comedy on the Sirius.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
"The UK is in the grip of a heatwave that has sparked health alerts and a transport meltdown on the railways."

The mercury soared to 30.7C in parts of the country on Tuesday, beating Monday's high of 30.1C, and is predicted to reach 33C later in the week. The rising temperatures have sparked health alerts from officials at Public Health England...

heatwave smeatwave (network fans)

33C is 91F. Wicked hot for Maine but normal for New Jersey. I remember working through a university summer break with blowers down for overdue repair and 104F 40C in my office/server-room.

It is so dry here now that forest fires are happening daily. This is normally a very wet country, but now wetland areas are almost completely dry even a couple pines are giving up, and there's not a single mushroom where our house is.

Now we are vacationing where I originate from, Ålesund. Quite dry here also, but nothing at all compared to the south.

Read in the news that yesterday or the day before a firefighter died in relation to a forest fire.

Did you go out to enjoy it? I remember -20C in New York in just a jumper in the past. It was worth it as ladies came up to me and asked if I knew how dangerous it was. I wrongly assumed it to be about -2. Sad bit of the story was talking to the firemen near the Empire State. They were keeping an eye on a building where things were falling down, same crew as 9-11 a few years later. I must have been out two hours and never really felt cold. Subway and eating warmed me up. People of New York are very friendly, Oxford needs one to be streetwise ( Cowley Road ). I was fine the next day. The reason for the jumper is I had driven from further south with a rental car. That dry cold is really nice.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
did I go out and enjoy it? lol no, but the night is still young, tonight at about 10PM I will go outside in a jumper and go for a walk and later on when it reaches 3 degrees again at about 5am or so I can go out on the back verandah and breathe in some ice cold air.

Last edited:
I remember -20C in New York in just a jumper in the past. It was worth it as ladies came up to me and asked if I knew how dangerous it was.

I have received some strange looks and questions when running on the trail in the park barefoot and shirtless when it was near or below freezing, or even during a snow storm. The park custodian has grown used to it and doesn't even notice any more. The only other people out in those conditions are dog walkers.

I don't notice the cold if I keep moving. The colder it is, the faster I move.......motivation. Once you start running the loop, its over a mile back to the car, unless you wimp out and turn around. I have done that only once. It was a windy 35F and about 2 minutes into my run it started raining......no fun.

On the flip side of that, I just returned from 12 days in Florida, much of that on an island off the west coast near Ft. Meyers. It was 90+ degrees F (32 to 35C) and I was walking barefoot down a street on asphalt in the sun just after lunch. Much of the traffic inside the resort is golf carts and at least three people stopped me to ask if I needed a ride. They seemed amused that I preferred to walk the half mile from the pool back to the condo.

"The UK is in the grip of a heatwave that has sparked health alerts and a transport meltdown on the railways."

T

The transport melt down was not caused by the heat.
It happened before the weather got hot and was caused by a stupid mistake in the timetables.
Nobody has said anything that makes any sense of it or even skip dived the old timetables to get things going again.:trash:
We have given up:confused:

Where I live a film was made called Titfield Thunderbolt ( 1838 Loco Lion I think ) . It's early 1950's just after British Railways was named. In truth it had existed a long time when GWR LMS LNER and SR were put together. BR was due to government not keeping to a bargain they made to repay the four after the war. 18000 and 18001 were a very usable set of diesel electric locomotive that became part of the early fleet from English Electric ( about 1948 a V16 version of the 1937 6 cylinder shunter motor, 10 inch bore, 12 inch stroke I think ). BR instead made a new batch of steam locos up to 1960 which were scraped soon after. Many of the little preserved railways ran well on these nearly new locos right up to now.

My mothers name was Beeching as was the man who closed the railways. Not a very common name.