The Weather

Its cold today? Does -7F (-22C) count as cold? That's how cold it was this morning at 6AM. It's +17F right now at 5 PM, and I did see +20 earlier this afternoon. Unfortunately it's all downhill until Sunday when it might get above freezing for the first time in 12 days.

The snow from Christmas day is still here, with more piled on top of it. Had to get out the snow blower to find my driveway when I came home from a road trip on Sunday.

Tubes have been glowing in the basement for warmth....and LOUDNESS!

YouTube

Attachments

• 10 days.PNG
    10 days.PNG
    18.6 KB · Views: 121
My max/min thermometer on north side of the barn showed -10F for the last week (but I haven't check it over the last few days so it could be lower). Basically, IT'S COLD HERE!!! Warmer today (up to 25F) but tomorrow 12" snow predicted and both the kids schools and my wife's are cancelled already. That NEVER happened when I was a kid (when I was a kid we had to walk both ways to and from school, uphill both ways in snowstorms in the spring and fall...). :D

A friendly reminder at -30 F exposed human flesh freezes solid in 30 seconds. Not a good idea to quickly run out to start your car to allow it to warm up in just your indoor clothes. From experience even small patches of frost bite are painful.

I have been pleased to see my hot water heater which doubles as the furnace has managed to keep my house at 70 F. Apparently insulation works!

My sympathies to folks who are suffering. But please don't use an unrated supplemental heater. I have been to the aftermath of a fire where the fire captain was upset. He really didn't like loosing folks. So stay warm stay safe.

A friendly reminder at -30 F exposed human flesh freezes solid in 30 seconds. Not a good idea to quickly run out to start your car to allow it to warm up in just your indoor clothes. From experience even small patches of frost bite are painful.

Agreed, but truth be told, I run out to warm up the cars for trips to school every morning in my indoor clothes and never feel the slightest worry about exposed skin. I must be channeling George! :D

I don't mean to minimize the concern, but my experience tells me there's more to those figures than meets the eye. That said, I deem myself unaccountable for anyone who follows my ideas above... :rolleyes:

BTW, it's 8F now at 11:30pm in Dover NH...

Last edited:
About 30mph/50kph here in coastal NH with powdery snow falling fast. But the temp is 22F/-5C so it's "not so cold today." Ron E, I too recall living in a warmer place than here (coastal Georgia more than 20 years ago) where the winter temps dropped into the 40s and occasionally the 30s (F). I can't say I felt as cold as here but I do remember being uncomfortably cold due to the humidity.

I must be channeling George!....I deem myself unaccountable for anyone who follows my ideas above...

I haven't put shoes on my feet yet, except to go to the gym where they are required. My hands however get cold after ten minutes or so outside even with decent gloves on. I have been seen shoveling or blowing snow in a t-shirt and flip flops, but this morning I needed a thicker shirt and the gloves....something about that 20 MPH north wind. -5F + 20 MPH wind = -20F wind chill. We will get that tomorrow and Saturday. School was cancelled today and tomorrow.

when I was a kid we had to walk both ways to and from school, uphill both ways in snowstorms in the spring and fall...).

You forgot the bit about rolling a tire while walking to school in the snow.....

I have tickets to go see The Moody Blues in Orlando.

I have seen them about 20 times since 1970.

I have lived here for almost 4 years. Still my bone chilling, shivering moments all occurred in Florida. Two of those were in Orlando, both involved being on the south side of a lake with a strong north wind. Another was being in the second to top row of the upper deck in the west end zone (facing the ocean) of the Dolphins stadium for a Monday night game when the Cleveland browns came to play and brought their weather with them. Even the players on the field were having problems, with a 3 to 3 tie and 2 minutes left, none of us who cared who won the game......just no overtime!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Winds here last night hit about 70kmh, but the deep freeze is coming today. We got about 30 - 35cm of snow, but drifts of 60+ cm made clean up a bit of a chore. I spent about 90 minutes doing a combination of shoveling and snow blowing..

We had quite a lot of flooding in Quincy and Boston and it looks like the Boston sea wall project is going to be discussed in the state legislature.

Attachments

• 20180104_192742_LLS.jpg
    20180104_192742_LLS.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 20180104_192759_LLS.jpg
    20180104_192759_LLS.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20180104_192811_LLS.jpg
    20180104_192811_LLS.jpg
    842.4 KB · Views: 83