The Weather

They are seldomly anything other.
I shake my head at those who believe in all-season.
At the very least use all-weather.
It only takes once to realize the difference and the value.
I always try to stop anyone buying all season tyres but the marketing hype is very effective.

Even a prominent motoring magazine said that all season are the worst of both worlds - not great in the summer nor the winter.

I did once have a Citroen C5 with the Michelin all seasons but on a wet bend I almost lost control. They were about 50% worn but I replaced them the next day with summer tyres and had no problems.

Ha ha, not so lucky! I was working in the yard today fixing a wheelbarrow (only 37C here today) and lost so much water I started to feel crap and had to take electrolytes...pretty common here if you're not careful. The highest I've experienced is 49C when the air feels sort of like when you open an oven, but all the time. But, it's usually a dry heat once it gets to this level, so not too bad.

(I like the C5..I'm a bit of a fan of French cars. My fun car is a Peugeot GTi (made in Ryton UK actually, being RHD), and my brother has a Renaultsport Megane 265. French cars are much rarer here than the UK.)

Last edited:
Lucky b**stard! ;)

I think I'd rather have too much heat for a few days, although hottest I've experienced is about 35C.
That's nothing, i've been in the Sahara desert in Mauritania during summer when it was 55°C in the shade and that is hot ;).

35°C is quiet common here in Belgium in the summer. It feels hotter than it is altough because the humidity in the air, something that is not the case in the Sahara desert. it's when it gets over 40°C that it gets dangerous down here.

Can't imagine being in temperatures of over 40C never mind 50C.

If we have a heat wave in the UK (which means over 30C) there are always a few fatalities due to heatstroke as people don't listen to the advice to drink more water (and avoid caffeine).

I think freezing tempeatures are not so much a problem with those who are in fuel poverty and have had to turn down their home heating and wear more clothes.

They have acclimatised to lower temperatures but I suppose this can make very high temperatures more dangerous to them.

-14º this morning. That's about as cold as it gets here and only once a decade if that.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 7.42.45 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 7.42.45 AM.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 25
A blizzard started about 5:30 this morning. O'Hare Airport was grounded for a wile. Where I live, it snowed about 4" in 3 hours. Then it switched over to rain. It's still raining.

This is the heaviest snow I ever remember. I was shoveling in the rain. Water is standing everywhere. It will soon dip below freezing and the rain will give way to snow.

If this were all snow, it would have been over a foot. Now we're looking at ice forming. An arctic front starts blowing in tomorrow afternoon. It's real winter now.

Can't imagine being in temperatures of over 40C never mind 50C.

If we have a heat wave in the UK (which means over 30C) there are always a few fatalities due to heatstroke as people don't listen to the advice to drink more water (and avoid caffeine).
People who lived in that part of the sahara at that time (1999) were not having AC, they were used to that climate and stay in during the hottest time of the day. Houses are often build in caves or ravines in the rocky parts and made to keep the inside cool and evacuate heat asap. When they are not in those caves or ravines, they are made of thick adobe, so they are well isolated from heat. These people, called Sahrawi (or called Moors by outsiders), are used to that kind of climate, and live in the region for centuries, and are of mixed Berber/Arab/black origin. Some are still roaming arround the desert with their herd and live in tents even.

I think freezing tempeatures are not so much a problem with those who are in fuel poverty and have had to turn down their home heating and wear more clothes.

They have acclimatised to lower temperatures but I suppose this can make very high temperatures more dangerous to them.
I think you got that totally wrong, they suffer a lot, their houses are very unhealty because of mold and moisture and it's very bad for your health. I've been among them (been roofless and been poor with a roof, but no heating) so i know from first hand experience (and Belgium is not even that cold). Freezing temperatures are way more a problem for poor than heat and each year in Belgium, you got a few dozen who die from freezing, being on the street or in unheated houses. But most people who are not in that case are unaware of that, and think there are no issues. But try to sleep on the street at -5°C, even with thick clothing you don't sleep much. I can assure you.

This is as hot as I've been where there is no A/C. It was during our 'heat dome' in 2021. I filled my rubber dinghy with water out on the balcony and kept cool as best I could.
Fortunately I have a concrete swimming pool. It was actually too warm in the water today (it did hit over 41 as forecast).
These people, called Sahrawi (or called Moors by outsiders), are used to that kind of climate...
Isn't it Moops? (you need to watch Seinfeld)

I think you got that totally wrong, they suffer a lot, their houses are very unhealty because of mold and moisture and it's very bad for your health. I've been among them (been roofless and been poor with a roof, but no heating) so i know from first hand experience (and Belgium is not even that cold). Freezing temperatures are way more a problem for poor than heat and each year in Belgium, you got a few dozen who die from freezing, being on the street or in unheated houses. But most people who are not in that case are unaware of that, and think there are no issues. But try to sleep on the street at -5°C, even with thick clothing you don't sleep much. I can assure you.
I agree with you in respect of yourr more extreme examples.

I was really comparing with the wealthy who can afford to keep their home at 22c+.

In fact I didn't agree with the UK government giving these persons tax payers money to subsidise their energy bills in 2022//3. They could have given the poor more if they had prioritised those who need help most. (me included!). But an election is due this year so politics reared its ugly head in the decision making.