The Weather

I said the other day a friend saw climate change as a " power grab ". I think I understand what he means. Oliver Cromwell did much the same. From the perspective of the day he was equally right.

It made me think. What do we really know? The best weather forcasts might be 5 days and as much as 2 weeks if using the trends of the past. Thus climate change science isn't more than an excellent hunch given by sincere people. Cromwell was a sincere psychopath.

My main problem with all this is that the problem dates back to at least 1850. Why didn't the scientists see it by lets say 1900? If you read an Encyclopedia Britannica of that date the sciences required were fully understood. It's the same science as makes ammonia gas in it's sophistication. It's called the Haber process. It turns energy into food more or less. If all of this gets forgotten people will go hungry.

To me, we do what we can to harvest green energy. We then engineer protection rather than dream of a Puritain solution.

I have a list of unanswered questions.
What on earth caused all that global warming that ended the ice ages? This pre dates mankind unless time travel existed or still exists.
Are we still in the global warming period following the last ice age?

It was discovered that man made global cooling was taking place following the terrorist attack on the world trade centre.
All the aircraft were grounded removing the shadows of con trails over the United States.
We have seen a much bigger rise in temperature with aircraft groundings over a much wider area for two years now and counting.
The global warming pundits are having a corona virus party.

Before air travel it was soot from burning raw coal that was providing the shade.

Everything needs to be checked to see if it is man made or natural before any action will have a positive effect.

What is the point of consuming a massive amount of energy manufacturing and operating carbon capture and storage equipment?

It's said we might get an Ice age. I take that to be realistic if the sea water becomes less saline. New Zealand should be fine if so as it isn't controlled by the Gulf Stream. It could come one winter and never turn to Spring. We would have to burn as much coal as we could to offset it. That being unlikely to work.

Is Mars really heating up quicker than Earth? - BBC Science Focus Magazine

It's very hard to say. Very likely. My " Is Mars really heating up quicker than Earth " link shows typical BBC bias. The BBC fits the Oliver Cromwell style of thinking.

Hopefully the Weather will allow a little criticism of the BBC. Forest fires need answers rather than dogma. I can see how the burning of gas could be different.

Who cares if Mars is heating up, half our planet is literally on fire at this point in time.
At current projections we are going to reach the tipping point around 2030 rather than 2050.

We know why there are more forest fires...........seriously........its climate change.

We will have to plan how forests are maintained. The byproduct is jobs. The French tell me these things were done better in the past. Climate change be it man made or not needs a plan.

Some say the whole Solar System is getting warmer. If so it needs to be thought about. Likely it isn't true.

Here in Australia our bushland is so vast its impossible to undertake controlled burns everywhere, so its only done in and around the larger population areas.

However because of climate change the bushland is drier than it was in the past coupled with longer fire seasons its been a recipe for disaster as was the case in 2019/2020 and its been repeated recently in Canada, USA and Greece.

One of the larger 2019/2020 bushfires here in Australia was the result of a hazard reduction burn getting out of control.

Bushland hazard reduction is no longer the panacea it once was.

Climate change be it man made or not needs a plan.
Scientists have been telling us for decades that we need a plan, but its been repeatedly ignored.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The Sun’s output is remarkably stable - to within 0.1% over time spans ranging from a few hours to hundreds of thousands of years.

Solar output is increasing at 1% per hundred million yrs - so about 10% per billion years for reasons very well understood and to do with the fusion process underway deep with its core.

Variability in solar output is not the cause of changes in global weather we see today.

The Sun’s output is remarkably stable - to within 0.1% over time spans ranging from a few hours to hundreds of thousands of years.

Solar output is increasing at 1% per hundred million yrs - so about 10% per billion years for reasons very well understood and to do with the fusion process underway deep with its core.

Variability in solar output is not the cause of changes in global weather we see today.
I was referring to solar activity as in annual variations which isn't same as solar output over thousands of years. See the correlation of solar activity over the years and earth's lower atmosphere temperature.

Hot here all week. 100°+ at least five more days.

And it's as dry as I've ever seen it in the 30+ years in this spot. Where there was once water is now dry for the first time. Grounds cracked. Wildlife has to travel quite a way to find water. We have 5 gal. buckets everywhere just for them.

Hey not so fast or slow either.

Solar Cycle 25 Is Here. NASA, NOAA Scientists Explain What That Means | NASA