The Weather

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yay! Looks like a White Christmas after all!

We are expecting 10-15cm today. About 4-5cm has already fallen. Temp is hanging right around 0C so hopefully it'll stick around till Friday.

Thick enough I can't see across the valley.

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 144
The slurpee froze overnight and there is a myriad of sirens out there this morning. This one caught us off guard.

We awoke to about 7 inches of snow last Thursday morning. It lingered until last night. The temperature wandered below and above freezing ever since Thursday's snow leaving a layer of ice underneath, and sometimes on top of the slurpee. Sporadic snow fall added to the slush on the top. What melted during the day was frozen overnight in areas where the water didn't drain off.

It rained all night last night making most of it all go away. The creek in the back yard runs all the way from Pennsylvania to the Ohio river. It rose about 10 inches last night. Some of the mud puddles in my yard are still partially frozen. Low lying areas in town, like the park with my usual walking trail, are now vast fields of mud and ice. I spotted two bent cars on the three mile drive to Walmart this morning. Both appear to have run off the road last night and were left there.

The temperature is now around 40F with light scattered rain, so maybe this mess will drain off before the next storm comes Christmas Eve. It promises to be much colder with an unknown amount of snow.

We got about five inches of the Slurpee maybe two weeks ago. The snow plows nicely turned some of it into bowling ball sized chucks and left them blocking the driveway. I was not going to try to hit them with the Honda Civic in case it damaged a front bumper. Pulled out the Toyota Previa for smashing out of the drive.
Quickly finishing an engine swap in an older Honda CRV so my daughter has something to drive that does not get stuck so easy in heavy stuff. Thinking we might get more this year that last.

Here in Southern Finland capital area there's no snow just cloudy almost every day, just yesterday we got a thin white layer which didn't stay for a long, seems like we are going to have a warm winter this season too as the last year which was the first in decades that was almost entirely snow-less, anyways... Merry Christmas!