What are you Watching?

That’s funny. My wife and I went on vacation to visit some friends. While there, the ladies were busy and my friend was working, so I went to see Rogue One but it was sold out. Later in the week he asked if I still wanted to go to the show while the girls were out shopping. So we went to see Rogue One. After the movie was over and we were walking out my buddy turns to me and ask “Do they ever blow up that DeathStar?”

Did they ever destroy the notorious Death Star?

I'm not too sure, now I come to think about it.

But I thank you for the thought. We must be clear that "Star Wars" exists in the same fictitious Universe as Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep..

Much as we movie-buffs enjoyed the chemistry between Humphrey Bogart and Betty Bacall in a Noir mystery, it was never explained who shot the Chauffeur. 9 Movie Plot Holes Confirmed By The Creators – Page 10

We just remember Betty saying: "If you want me, just whistle!"

"Just put your lips together and blow."

Marvellous. :)

Did they ever destroy the notorious Death Star?

I'm not too sure, now I come to think about it.

Did attend to a SF-con back in late 70's in Stockholm (Alfred Bester was the main object of attention) and we were invited to a preview of Star Wars, long before it was released to the movie theatres in Sweden.
This was a great event as we, the audience were all tuned to the same wavelength.
There was a few scenes with the Death Star in that first movie, but did they destroy it??? Can't remember, but I recall the desert bar - NO ANDROIDS!

I have been watching Louis Theroux visiting USA's Most Hated Family (The Phelps in Topeka, Kansas). In the three documentaries he shows a very disturbed family but when visiting drop-outs from the cult, Louis shows there's some hope.

Highly recommended!

I just had to watch Megan Phelps-Roper talk on TED Talks how she survived.

I Grew Up In Westboro Baptist Church

Having checked out out the Reverend Phelps and Senator McCarthy in the last two posts, it does seem "The Land of the Free" indulges some dangerously demented characters. :confused:

Ah well. Death Stars... a similar unhealthy right-wing phenomenen IMO... :eek:

The first one got blown up in the first 1977 Star Wars film, retitled " A new hope", using the fatal flaw in the Death Star uncovered by plucky Jyn Erso in the prequel. I think they lobbed a bomb down a ventilation shaft.

The second one gets blown up in the third film, "Return of the Jedi" before completion. Just as well, because it had improved plumbing and would have been invincible. :eek:

Hope that clears it up.

Improved plumbing??? Guess they bought some cheap stuff from a galaxy far away ...

I notice I never read any books, so I see a lot of documentaries (sort off).
Dr Pimple Popper way work if my stomach isn't upset, Mythbusters may be happy - love the interaction between Adam and James.

But yesterday I saw a really gruesome documentary about the Australian wildfires. It was a UK production, presented by Kylie Morris.
No need to build a Death Star to blow this planet up, we fix it ourselves ...

Many people, for reasons beyond me, think the Apollo missions to the Moon never happened. I was a keen 14-y-o with at telescope at that time. I watched Apollo 13 set off cheerfully for the Moon. Saw it separate the second stage from the rest with a puff of smoke. All went horribly wrong of course. Apollo 13 with Tom Hanks. It was a close run-thing that enthralled the World. :cool:

Commander Jim Lovell is still alive. He's quite diplomatic about the whole thing. When you blasted off from Cape Kennedy, it was hardly reassuring that all the 10 Million components you relied on to keep you alive were built by the cheapest contractor. :eek:

Never mind Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong, my favourite Apollo mission was Apollo 8. Orbiting the Moon on Christmas Day, and doubtless singing "Silent Night". Brilliant!

I just checked this, and it is true. Apollo 10's last units were called "Charlie Brown" and "Snoopy".

645259d1510471911-suppose-shallow-vs-steep-argument-snoopy-png

Well, apparently the flight director of Apollo 11 decided more serious names were needed. So we ended up with "Columbia" and "Eagle". I hate overly serious people. They sound important, but tend to land us up in disaster. :D

Watching THE Saint, Simon Templar etc -- you Brits gave it to us!
That was a MUST back in my younger years.
Remember the episode where Mr Templar examines doings near Loch Ness and the show ends with findings of a mutulated corpse (the bad guy?) by the lake.
- He must be hit by the ferry.
- Cant't be. The ferry didn't run tonite ...

Hate to pick bones, but AFAIK, it was called Runaway Train. I mostly remember Jon Voight as the Midnight Cowboy. As well as being Angelina Jolie's dad.

I mostly remember "The Saint" Simon Templar (Roger Moore) as having a well-cut jacket along with a fast white Volvo car and an air of money. The Deb's delight, if you follow. :eek:

RMS Titanic is a deep mystery. Did the company sink the damaged sister ship deliberately for the insurance. We will never know, IMO.

My current lockdown wheeze tonight is a cute little 2016 Space Film called: Passengers.

With a stripped down cast of 4 actors, it nevertheless entertains and keeps you interested: YouTube.

I have never seen a better looking spaceship. And I could not find any plot-holes in the relatavistic Physics. Best thing was the out-takes. The actors thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Well, I would too, if earning about $10M for 6 months work. :D

Answer: Topic, A Hazelnut in Every Bite! :D

Due to a fairly random occurrence, I rocked up with a movie called The Queen tonight.

All about that crazy week in August, 1997, when the "People's Princess" Lady Diana died in a car crash in Paris.

We all went bonkers that week. I was living in Kensington, London and visited the million flowers outside Kensington Palace. My aged Dad rocked up to Buck House and got seriously cross at the lack of response from the Royals.

Director Stephen Friers made an interesting point about Queen Elizabeth II. She's been around for longer than his Mum and Dad, and mine, as it goes.

Which makes Her a more solid rock than most things. :cool:

I often feel like I am watching Pyrasphere with all that Zeitgeist/Venus Project/New Age stuff! :D

Why do these all-knowing gurus of the future always seem to have goatee beards and sound so terribly serious? All looked a bit Star Trek to me, Humankind will stumble from one disaster to the next IMO.

I was watching one of my personal favourites today. Professor Dick Feynman on Gravity back around 1960 thanks to the BBC film crew:
'The Character of Physical Law': Richard Feynman's Legendary Course Presented at Cornell, 1964 | Open Culture

634701d1505070553-classic-monitor-designs-dick_feynman_lol-jpg

I was gripped! The best people make it look easy. It's not. But he always looks like he is having fun. :)