Whats out there: beyond earth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Our planet is part of a solar sytem thats part of a galaxy thats part of a universe thats a part of ? Theres just so much stuff out there suspended in what ?

Well ideas are..

Thats part of a multiverse with 10 dimensions + time which makes 11.
Which links into string theory and "M" theory or Brane theory.

Suspended in space time..which is effected by gravity created by mass..which can be created by energy..

Then there is..
Possibly no vacuum as such because it’s supposed to be filled with zero point energy.
Possibly + Metaphysical things which may or may not be part of it…depends what you want to believe..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
It would be nice,

to know more about the Oort Cloud however it supposed to be a light year away..Voyager is the farthest point we have reached so far and its never going to reach it in our life time..:(

Its supposed to be where the mass extinction event meteorites come from.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
When they scraped concorde, I was like has man given up on the space race ? Then they started cutting NASA funding...

Are we really limited by the speed of light or is there alternative technology ?

If you find fish in one river, you will also likely find fish in another.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
NASA is a dinosaur, time for some new blood not afraid of new ideas.
We could have had the space elevator by now if NASA hadn't wasted all that money on the shuttle and PR.
Same with the international space station, a 1950s idea in the wrong place and costing way too much money when it could have been done properly in the first place

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
NASA is a dinosaur, time for some new blood not afraid of new ideas.
We could have had the space elevator by now if NASA hadn't wasted all that money on the shuttle and PR.
Same with the international space station, a 1950s idea in the wrong place and costing way too much money when it could have been done properly in the first place

100% agreed..

Regards
M. Gregg

Anyone remember Fireball XL-5?

Fireball XL 5 - XFI EQ Proj 5 Mix - YouTube

Build the launch rail high up in the Andes (or other mountains) say 4500Meters up where the air is near half the pressure at sea level. Use an Electromagnetic rail system for initial acceleration so less fuel has to be on board for that acceleration phase.

Start the rail at a shallow elevation angle and increase it at an inverse parabolic rate to achieve a 60 degree launch angle with fairly constant lateral acceleration.

Launch west to east to take advantage of the earth's rotational velocity.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Funny, I thought NASA did a remarkably good job in a lot of ways, not withstanding the shuttle accidents, and their space robotics program has yet to be matched by anyone, anywhere.

The guys in Washington have set most of the U.S. space agenda, and NASA is just the organization that does/manages the work to accomplish most of those goals.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Anyone remember Fireball XL-5?

Fireball XL 5 - XFI EQ Proj 5 Mix - YouTube

Start the rail at a shallow elevation angle and increase it at an inverse parabolic rate to achieve a 60 degree launch angle with fairly constant lateral acceleration.

Launch west to east to take advantage of the earth's rotational velocity.

I remember it well as a very young child..Never missed an episode...:D

Remember they had computers as well..notice no space helmets I guess no one thought about the lack of air..:eek:

They had a robot as well..OK so where is it asimo is the closest I guess..
Every space mission is supposed to have one isn't it? Even lost in space..had one..:D

Its a shame we seem to be so slooowww..

Regards
M. Gregg

I think I first saw the idea of EM rail acceleration in the book SeeTee Ship / SeeTee Shock back around 1967 or 1968. A moon colony used one to send ore shipments to earth.

It is a shame that we are stuck in the Rocket Vertical Launch paradigm.

Near as I can find, the SRBs use half their fuel by the time the shuttle reaches 3mi in altitude at near speed of sound. The ET usage is probably 20-30% since shortly after separation from the SRBs, the main engines throttle back and burn for another 6 minutes.

Build a three mile long EM rail at 4500M (15000ft) altitude and you could accelerate to almost 3000f/s in 30 seconds at a constant acceleration of 3g.

The shockwave from breaking the speed of sound might be an issue.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Last edited:
Here we use this, don't reach such high speeds, but it's cheap and sometimes effective:D

Attachments

• resortera.png
    resortera.png
    33 KB · Views: 270
Well ideas are..

Thats part of a multiverse with 10 dimensions + time which makes 11.
Which links into string theory and "M" theory or Brane theory.

Regards
M. Gregg

String theory appears to be a dead end.
It does explain pretty much everything but for each phenomenon one has to pick the right version of the infinite number of versions of string theory none of which are in any way testable or is even compatible with the other versions. As such it is practically useless in real life, it is just a kind of mathematical circle jerk.

I suggest reading "The Trouble With Physics" by Lee Smolin.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Well ,

The ideas of a multiverse or simple bubble universes. That come into contact with each other that could explain expansion (infinate) and infinate big bangs seems feasable..more so than a single universe from my logic point of view..

It is as you say not provable..except in the imaging of the background radiation that may give an impact point..

I do have a few things I find difficult to explain linked to metaphysical experiences..be that as it may..I do have more faith in a multiverse system than a mono universe system with a big bang.
I will have a look at the book you suggest..:)

I hope mankind will reach an understanding at some point that everything "Just is" and a profound insite. What ever that may be..

Regards
M. Gregg

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Some of the theorys already contain the idea that the universe existed before the big bang as did time and that this big bang is nothing special one of an infinite many..with the universe falling apart due to entropy..

So there may be infinite decayed big bangs spread out across space time all around us..perhaps the reason for the zero point energy.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.